Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

Just wanted to find out if anyone knows what is going on with SP101 production?
Are they shipped and sold so fast in stores that they don't show up for sale anywhere on the Internet?

I'm looking for a NIB SP-101 357 magnum with 4.25" barrel Model 5771.
I don't think there is one for sale on this planet, unless I'm not looking under the right rocks.

Anybody know a Dealer that has one or puts names on a waiting list?

Thanks

Bruce

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Bruce, I have only seen a couple in my LGS. They seem to be built in batches, as are the SP101-22s. They come, and go. I passed on the 22 version twice, and finally decided that the next time they were in stock, I was grabbibg one. Well, I got my 22 version in September, and havent seen any since. Sorry Im no help, but thought maybe I could shed some light on why they seem hard to find. Good luck. Im sure its a great gun.

·
Double P90 Shooter
19,890 Posts
I see bunches of them at the gun shows,sorry didn't make note of the sizes/calibers,but I see them all the time.Maybe its the LGS's that can't get them from they're distributers...I'm going to a show this weekend I'll try and make note of I see any...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I see bunches of them at the gun shows,sorry didn't make note of the sizes/calibers,but I see them all the time.Maybe its the LGS's that can't get them from they're distributers...I'm going to a show this weekend I'll try and make note of I see any...

I went to a gun show a few weeks ago in Irving, TX
Nobody had any and nobody would take orders for them.
Guess the sell so fast, they don't want to mess with orders. :eek:

·
Double P90 Shooter
19,890 Posts
I went to a gun show a few weeks ago in Irving, TX
Nobody had any and nobody would take orders for them.
Guess the sell so fast, they don't want to mess with orders. :eek:
Most of those show dealers ,unless they're local, won't deal with orders if they're going to be 300 miles away the next weekend...

·
Registered
19 Posts
I bought mine a month ago, unaware that such a thing existed. I had just sold off a green frame LCR in 38 because I was tired of switching my reloading press back and forth for one gun, and I stopped in my LGS looking for a 2.25" sp101. He only had 2 of the crimson trace shortys, I couldn't afford nor did I want a laser, and I was about to leave when he pointed me to the 4.2. It didn't really tickle my fancy until I handled it... anyway, it was unfired NIB being sold as used because it was a salesman's demo. I walked out with it for 475... looking around for them now I realize I pretty much stole it, lol.
I have seen one other in my area, at another LGS, and it was 589.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I've only seen one .357 in my travels. Luckily I bought it when I did. And that was the end of September. 4.25" inch and I had to pay 525. Glad I got it when I did. Everything getting harder to find and costing more. Now I search for a single six convertible!

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
My suggestion is to do what I did: submit your question to the Ruger CEO (Mike Fifer), and tell him where you live. He may (as he did for me) tell you who in your vicinity has a generally-plentiful stock of whatever Ruger you want. Those distributors/gun stores do a lot of business with Ruger. Then call whatever store Mr.Fifer recommends, and if they have what you want in stock, hustle your butt there and make the purchase. That's how I got my 4" .357 SP101.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
I think LAGun missed the fact that you are looking for the 4" SP101 357. There are lots of the 2 and 3" versions available. The 4" is different

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My suggestion is to do what I did: submit your question to the Ruger CEO (Mike Fifer), and tell him where you live. He may (as he did for me) tell you who in your vicinity has a generally-plentiful stock of whatever Ruger you want. Those distributors/gun stores do a lot of business with Ruger. Then call whatever store Mr.Fifer recommends, and if they have what you want in stock, hustle your butt there and make the purchase. That's how I got my 4" .357 SP101.
I didn't see any sales contact info on the web site other than International), only customer service.
Didn't think that would be appropriate place to inquire about sales.
Guess I can give it a try...

Thanks

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I didn't see any sales contact info on the web site other than International), only customer service.
Didn't think that would be appropriate place to inquire about sales.
Guess I can give it a try...

Thanks
That's why I suggested it; it isn't at all apparent that Ruger has an interest in sales through its site. The fact that the CEO cares, and wants to help, tells me a great deal, all good.

·
Double P90 Shooter
19,890 Posts
I think LAGun missed the fact that you are looking for the 4" SP101 357. There are lots of the 2 and 3" versions available. The 4" is different
Yes I did make note of the size mentioned,but in my travels at the shows I myself am not looking for an SP101 so I did not make a specific note to lock in the sizes I have seen.I have seen many though, its not like the SP101 is non-existant.I will this trip make note of how many "4.2 SP101's I do/do not see...

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Bruce, aside from the fact that they are built in a series, Ruger is having a tough time keeping up with many of the models in the catalog. A friend that owns the LGS I frequent has been very good at getting new Rugers for me in the past, my 77/357 took less than a week, a couple weeks after it was announced. My SP101 took two months. He has had standing orders for them since they hit the catalog. The 2"/3" models not so bad, perhaps they run continuously (?), but the 4"'er can be hard to find.

·
Double P90 Shooter
19,890 Posts
Yes I did make note of the size mentioned,but in my travels at the shows I myself am not looking for an SP101 so I did not make a specific note to lock in the sizes I have seen.I have seen many though, its not like the SP101 is non-existant.I will this trip make note of how many "4.2 SP101's I do/do not see...
Went to the gun show today and kept an eye out for SP101's.Seems today was Single Action day at the show as far as Rugers.I saw more Birdsheads and Bearcats than I think I've seen at any show.As far as Double Actions it was Big Bore day with lots of .44 mags and a couple of long barreled .480 cannons.I did see 2 Sp101's a 2.25" and a 3" models in .357mag.As far as revolvers were concerned the SA's outweighed the DA's by a wide margin...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, I sent an email to Ruger Customer Support.
They didn't answer my question about production but did give me a list of distributors to have my dealer call.

I'm guessing a local dealer will not spend the time to call all those distributors.
So, I guess I will have to call to see if anyone has one.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have been looking for either a 3" or 4" for the last four months in my area and they are not to be found. Even online the 4" SP101 is scarce, but you can find a 3". I just do not want to have to pay air freight and transfer fees, adding another $50.00 to $65.00 to the final price…I guess I might just have to bite the bullet and do it:(

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Well, I sent an email to Ruger Customer Support.
They didn't answer my question about production but did give me a list of distributors to have my dealer call.

I'm guessing a local dealer will not spend the time to call all those distributors.
So, I guess I will have to call to see if anyone has one.
I did not suggest sending an email to customer support; I specifically mentioned the CEO, Mike Fifer. He helped me by telling me which dealer in my area was the most likely to have what I wanted (SP101, 4", .357). I called that dealer/gun store and went there and got what I wanted.
When someone suggests a course of action, one should follow the suggestion and not improvise.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I picked my 4" 357 (as well as Hogue grips) from my LGS in October. At the time, they had 7 4" in stock. Went to the range in early November and they had sold out. Went last week and they had 4 more . They're a large volume dealer and most likely that's why they're getting replenished quicker than other stores. This may be one of those times you either check out a big box (ask for a manager nicely and they'll price match - I always do for my customers) or at least a high volume LGS.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts