Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve attached a pic of an SP 101 that a friend bought new. The inside of the frame where the firing pin come through looks rough to me. It leaves a mark across the base of the hull & primer with magnum loads. Any thoughts.
Vehicle Automotive tire Hood Automotive design Tire

·
Registered
733 Posts
I hate to see sloppy work like that. Call Ruger and send them that pic.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I recently put a GP100 snubby in layaway at my local shop. The first one I looked over had some marks on the exterior of the frame. Luckily they had a few to choose from and I picked one that was flawless. I pointed out the imperfections to the shop employee who stated they would either send it back or sell it at a discount. Hate to think Ruger is letting these "blemish" models out into the wild.

·
Banned
4,564 Posts
Close the cylinder and you won't see it. Howz it shoot?
What's a hull?

·
Registered
733 Posts
Close the cylinder and you won't see it. Howz it shoot?
What's a hull?
I'm going to answer for him and assume this is not sarcastic. A hull is an empty shotgun shell. So I assume to translate it he is referring to the brass.

·
Banned
4,564 Posts
I'm going to answer for him and assume this is not sarcastic. A hull is an empty shotgun shell. So I assume to translate it he is referring to the brass.
Ah!(y)

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
It's hard to tell how deep those grooves are without being able to run you finger across them. If they are barely noticeable in feel they probably wouldn't impact the functionality of the revolver, but they would detract from the appearance. As much as I like my Rugers, this is one of their issues, you may have to look at 4 or 5 of them to get one that is free of imperfections. I have owned a half dozen GP100 revolvers, and the 5 inch model that I currently own is the most nicely fitted and finished one that I have owned. Just have to be lucky when buying one.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
If I turn my SP101 (2013) and my GP100 (1994) just right so the light reflects properly I can see those grooves. Both revolvers shoot great.

How's it shooting?

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
I’ve attached a pic of an SP 101 that a friend bought new. The inside of the frame where the firing pin come through looks rough to me. It leaves a mark across the base of the hull & primer with magnum loads. Any thoughts. View attachment 160687
My SP101 (made in 2001) looks a lot like that, but more uniform ridges. With my finger tip it feels smooth, but with my finger nail I can feel the ridges. Doesn't seem to affect performance in any way. I accept is as a minor cosmetic issue.

My GP100 (made in 2015) is much more smooth. It is the 5" model, which is a Davidson's Exclusive. I can barely feel the roughness with my finger nail. Like @wproct said about his 5" model, mine is a beautiful example. Maybe Ruger does a little more finish work on the exclusive.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I just remembered something!! When I find something like that I go to Wal Mart in the nail polish aisle and they have a 4 sided nail polishing block that is a different grind on each side and it buffs great w/o a change in finish. I think they are $2-3 dollars.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
They just look like casting marks to me. I wouldn't worry about it, even if it was mine.
Not so much casting marks. They look like the investment casting came out slightly out of spec and Ruger machined it for clearance. Is it functional....yes. But, I prefer the casting to be more accurate, so additional machining is minimal. Investment casting (lost wax if you want to google how its done) is an art. The better the original molds are made, the less machining will be required.

·
Banned
4,564 Posts
"Casting marks" is below the firing pin area. That said I'm surprised some don't whine about raw cast areas being machined smoother. It may be this step took the frame to the dimensional limit. My barrel on my SR 40 was there and shot perfectly. Sadly as indicated in another thread a good number of people haven't a clue what a "machine mark" looks like.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
My GP100 has some marks like that in the same area, although they aren't as prominent. It has no effect on functionality, so I never paid it any mind. When it comes to aesthetic issues, I'm not inclined to send anything back unless it's external and really egregious. The juice just isn't worth the squeeze. There's even an area, about 3/4" long, in the concave portion of the shroud, running lengthwise, where it looks like someone didn't polish out some of the rough stuff after it was brought out of the casting mold, or the polisher skipped. I don't know the process that goes into it. Either way, there's a narrow and cloudy strip there. I could probably flitz it out. Again, I won't complain because the revolver runs great, and the blemish isn't sufficiently egregious.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I’ve attached a pic of an SP 101 that a friend bought new. The inside of the frame where the firing pin come through looks rough to me. It leaves a mark across the base of the hull & primer with magnum loads. Any thoughts. View attachment 160687
I’ve noticed that Ruger’s Quality Control Department has been dropping the ball lately. Very Sad. My cousin bought a SR9 bout 2 years ago. He fired it very little, and did not abuse it. Now it’s FUBAR

·
Banned
4,564 Posts
I’ve noticed that Ruger’s Quality Control Department has been dropping the ball lately. Very Sad. My cousin bought a SR9 bout 2 years ago. He fired it very little, and did not abuse it. Now it’s FUBAR
Being they're just about the biggest gun maker in the world maybe you've found the statistics to support your incriminating of Ruger's QC department? Or is it a vague guess like an arbitrary term FUBAR.

Reactions: Redhawk100

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
My GP100 (made in 2015) is much more smooth. It is the 5" model, which is a Davidson's Exclusive. I can barely feel the roughness with my finger nail. Like @wproct said about his 5" model, mine is a beautiful example. Maybe Ruger does a little more finish work on the exclusive.
Yes, I think this is truly the case. My 5 inch Davidson's Exclusive was made in 2010 and when I first spotted it on the table at a gunshow I thought it was a 4 incher but found out what it was and was able to work out a good trade on it. It has the best action of any GP100 I ever laid hands on, and I've handled quite a few! (y)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It's shoots fine. he stoned the rough edge's (50+ years Retired Gunsmith) i personally would have sent it back. he was curious if this type of thing was happening regularly. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thank you. I hope the person wasn’t being a gun-snob. I put the magazine in the gun and when it’s empty, swap in a full clip. You know what I mean? But what if the empty shotgun shell is all brass? Thanks again for the assistance.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts