Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new SP 101 (.327)

When cycling the trigger in double action I get a little click in the trigger just before the hammer drops (about 7/8 trigger pull). -- (I can also lightly feel it in the trigger pull at slow pull)

I have slicked everything up in the trigger group, shimmed the hammer & trigger, running a 10# main spring, & clipped trigger return spring.

The click was there before the work & still there after the work. (I have even shimmed the hammer dog)

To me it seems like it is happening just as the trigger drops off the hammer dog onto the hammer tail but I can't be sure.

I have shined bright light in the hammer cavity & can't seem to see anything jump or move as the click is happening.

Am I on the right track thinking it is the trigger coming of the hammer dog onto the trigger tail?

If so then how do I make it go away?

Thanks_ for your thoughts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Gunner,

I don't know if this is any help but my early 90's SP 101 does it too. My gun is all original, no mods.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I think what your feeling is the cyl. stop clicking into the notch on the cyl. Its great for DAO,you just pull the trigger back until the click, check your sights and pull. Its like fireing SA.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think what your feeling is the cyl. stop clicking into the notch on the cyl. Its great for DAO,you just pull the trigger back until the click, check your sights and pull. Its like fireing SA.
Afternoon bill35738

No, it's way past that in the trigger pull stroke (almost at the end of pull stroke).

The cyl stop is not an issue it's that little glitch near the end of stroke that bothers me.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Trigger safety bar maybe? It's should be moving smoothly its a pain to smooth that area inside ended up using a used fingernail wood file that wife had in bathroom then covered it with 1200 grit. Trigger return spring housing? The spring is fully depressed so a but or something may be causing a click. Had mine apart 3 times smoothing that housing on trigger sides.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Why do you want to make the click go away?

Afternoon Jeff

It bothers me to feel that as the trigger nears end of stroke-- basically I just don't like it plus it doesn't feel like my other SP101 that is smooth as silk all the way through the stroke.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Trigger safety bar maybe? It's should be moving smoothly its a pain to smooth that area inside ended up using a used fingernail wood file that wife had in bathroom then covered it with 1200 grit. Trigger return spring housing? The spring is fully depressed so a but or something may be causing a click. Had mine apart 3 times smoothing that housing on trigger sides.
Afternoon Hdpearson13

That is a good guess but I have eliminated the transfer bar by completely removing it & the click is still there.

After some more digging I am about 99.99% sure it is the hammed dropping off of the hammer dog & onto the trigger tail.

If I pull the trigger until the click THEN let the trigger up just a little I don't get the click on the next pull-to-hammer-release.

I just don't know how to cure or stop the click.

I would REALLY like to understand the root cause before I start working on the dog or hammer?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hammer bar at bottom next too wear it comes close to frame is only other potential area also other than hammer dog spring area. Springs causes clicks

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK-- Found It!--

For future reference on SP101 trigger click--

It was the spring loaded plunger for the hand-- As the hand would articulate in the trigger stroke the plunger would catch on the plunger contact pad then the plunger would jump in it's bore.

I did polish that area but apparently not slick enough as it was shinny but the underlying metal roughness was just enough to catch on the plunger tip & carry it sideways in the plunger bore, then it would jump free & snap near end of trigger stroke.

I used a cut off Q-tip (just the plastic stalk) in my Dermel to further polish the contact pad & that did the trick.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts