1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is my SP wearing TRAUSCH grips. The picture isn't too good, I
used my wife's cell phone camera.

Another picture

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I like the look of those-grooves not as sharp as Hogue-I'll be checkin' them out for my 649 and 65...now where did you get those funny-lookin' speed strips and how do they load? Bianchi is all I've ever seen-6 shot and they wrap around the rim-then "break" off-how do these work??? Fixin' ta learn sumpin' new!!!

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sheepdog,

The speed strips are homemade. I use an old discarded rubber shock-strap, the kind from
auto supply stores with the metal hooks in each end. You just take an empty shell case of the
caliber you want to use, and hammer it thru the rubber with the hammer. You use them just like any other speed strip by inserting two rounds at a time and kinda twist and pull the rounds
out of the strip. Cost is nothing if you have an old shock-strap laying around. Porbably cost
3 or 4 bucks if you have to buy a new one. They work great--rounds won't come out accidentally.
Good way to accomodate 44s-which I have never seen made commercially.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
WHAT A FANTASTIC IDEA!!!!!! I've wanted .44 strips since the 70s...this is excellent!!!! They pull on through pretty easily, huh? I'magonna make some!!! beats the hellouta 7.95 a pair+ shipping and then you gotta keep 'em in a pouch so they won't come apart...I think you just beat sliced bread...you should make them and advertise...lotsa Ruger money there-bet your local gunshops could sell 'em for you...

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sheepdog,
Not bad for a 70 year old Fart huh! Seriously, they work better than Bianchi in my opinion.
Most rubber shock-straps are made of very firm but kinda soft rubber if you know what I'm trying to say. They won't tear or split and will probably last for many years. The ones I have measure
almost 3/4" wide and could easily be used for 45 long colt. Try it, I think you'll be happy.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Imagonna---and if you're 70 there's hope for me!!!!! Great idea!!! Thanks for sharing...I think it'd feed any DA revolver from .32 up to .45...I'd be nervous about rimfires in my pocket...I'd forget and get reminded!!

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Nice set up. I played with the same homemade speed strip idea as it was mentioned in the other forum but am still looking for that rubber that is just the right thickness, flexibility and texture. I also like the Trausch grips. Here's mine. I do find the Trausch slow down the speedloader a bit looking for just the right alignment. Where the speedloader rests it's a bit thicker than factory grips, even though they do have a recessed area on the left side.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts