Ruger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy, New here and just bought my first SP-101. But it's far from my first revolver <G>. I've been buying and shooting Smith & Wessons for about 35 years now.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I forgot to mention, this SP-101 is a 3 inch .357 Mag. I've been watching for one, planning to pick one up as soon as I ran across a good deal.

I am a little disappointed with the trigger on this SP-101, at least as compared to some of my S&W revolvers. I am anxious to see the IBOK and try smoothing it up.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Welcome. I think you'll find a few tricks to get that trigger a little slicker. Shims and springs and some cleaning make a world of difference.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,817 Posts
Welcome from SW Florida! Congrats on the SP101 - just finished sweetening up my 3" SP101 and the trigger was a big area of improvement. I'll spare you the details here but after doing the usual trigger stuff and a Wolff spring pak things got real smooooth. You know what you're looking for compared to your S&W and you'll get the trigger on the SP101 there I'm sure. Glad you found the site - lots of good info here on your Ruger.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Welcome. I'm a long time S&W revolver shooter and owner as well but have been shifting my interests more towards the Ruger line. The SP101 and GP100 are an excellent product lines that can easily be owner improved with a Wolff Spring kit and l little clean up. I've handled examples of each that had actions that were butter smooth with consistant reliability.

·
Registered
249 Posts
My wife and I each have a SP101 and we're delighted with the reliability. My local gunsmith did a trigger job on both and it made a world of difference.
Enjoy the gun and the forum. You'll find lots of helpful people and information.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Welcome from Orlando. I carried model 15s for 10 years as a duty weapon and they were great weapons. I now carry only Ruger as a concealed weapon, specifically a SP101. You can't go wrong with it.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I too have really enjoyed my first Ruger revolver, I could not get over how easy they made them to takedown and get into the action for a good "clean-up".

Hope to hear from you on this forum.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I also have a 2 3/4 inch stainless Speed Six. The SP-101 has a better single action trigger pull, but the Speed Six has a sweet DA pull that is head and shoulders above the SP-101.

They both have sharp edges on the trigger that need to be rounded.

·
Registered
5,502 Posts
Hello...and Welcome to RF.net!

I purchased my first SP101 in December 1994...and still have it! It took a while for the trigger to smooth itself out (I should have lightly sanded it smooth myself, but didn't) and now it's absolutely awesome! If you decide to swap out the factory springs with a set of Wolff's, I recommend trying the 10# set...you'll feel the difference!

I installed a Meprolight Tritium front sight on mine...and I love it! It makes a huge difference in low/no light shooting situations...and the single white dot improves target acquisition against black targets at the range! XS Sights also makes a nice Tritium front sight for the SP101 revolver.

·
Registered
367 Posts
You will like the Sp101, I've got and carry the same gun. Trigger is not like a S&W but you can change that.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I forgot to mention, this SP-101 is a 3 inch .357 Mag. I've been watching for one, planning to pick one up as soon as I ran across a good deal.

I am a little disappointed with the trigger on this SP-101, at least as compared to some of my S&W revolvers. I am anxious to see the IBOK and try smoothing it up.
A set of Wolff springs for the SP 101 for less than $20.00 will do wonders for a SP 101, and easy to do.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts