Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my SP101 out today for the first time.

Let's just say I'm not a "Happy Camper". :( At first I thought it was me, as the gun was shooting to the left, by a wide margin, and I was shooting weakhand. I even tried shooting from a rest" and that just confirmed that the gun shoots to the left.

At 20 Yards I was 12" from POA. The gun is on it's way back to Ruger. I just hope they determine that it's a "Warranty Issue" so I don't have to pay for it. I didn't have this problem with my GP100 3" or my S&W 442, so I just confirmed that it was the gun and not me.

On another note. The SP101 is the only smaller .357 Magnum that I have found that I can handle shooting the Remington 125 Grain SJHP's out of. I put a box of 50 downrange confirming that it was the gun and not me. That was weakhand. I then fired 50 rounds of the same load and 50 rounds of Black Hills 125 Grain JHP's out of my 3" GP100 using the stronghand.

When I get the gun back I will have to test it again and then I'll take it back to my Gunsmith. I was going to have him work on it, but decided to "test" the gun first. I'm glad I did.

Biker

·
Registered
239 Posts
is the barrel turned ?? I saw a Sp101 like this once

·
Banned
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I'm thinking.

My 'smith said to send it back as he didn't think he could turn it enough due to how far from POA the POI was.

Biker

·
Registered
301 Posts
ditto what gunlover said. It's a Ruger, they should take care of it. Still, I am sure it is a bummer. Hang in there, biker.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Hope it all works out for you. I'm sure Ruger will take care of you. Funny though as many times as I've said that to people on forums I've never had to test the statement personally.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I'm curious to hear what the problem turns out to be. Please keep us posted.

Ed

·
Registered
46 Posts
biker: if this is any counselation, I had the same problem with a sheriff's vaquero. My gunsmith said also to far to turn!! sent back to ruger they fixed it no cost only 5 week wait;now shoots right to point of aim as prescribed in owner's manual. Don't give up on ruger a lemon is possible withanything mechanical, hopefully all the gremlins dissappear for you on the piece. good luck actually my sp101 is a phenomenal shooter for its size up to 75yds you better not be standing still!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Keep the faith. Just bought the 3" 101 and it shoots better than expected. Great gun. You will be happy when they get it straight!
Good Luck
Greg

·
Registered
330 Posts
Biker, hang in there. Ruger will take care of it, I'm sure, but don't be in a hurry. I sent my SP101 back to Ruger for repair 4/22, and last time I checked, they say it will still be another week or two before they get it back to me. I understand from other postings I've read that what Ruger sends back is better than new. I do miss having mine around, though, since it's my carry piece.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Hope you aren't without it too long.

This thread had me worried, I took my new SP101 out this past weekend for the first time.... I put 100 rounds through it. I can't believe how well mine shoots. :cool: It is far better than I expected. The first 5 shots were all inside a 5.5" bull @ 12/13 yds... The wife shot it and was real decent with it also.

This was with bargin reloads I picked up at the gunshow when I bought it...

·
Registered
330 Posts
Rusty, don't let the thread worry you. With anything mechanical, sometimes things come up that you can't take care of yourself and you have to send it off to get fixed. Every once in awhile, one comes out of the factory with a problem (like Biker's) but with Ruger it seems like that's not very often. And, Ruger will take care of it. As you've found, the SP101 is a great little gun, and you're not going to hear many folks knocking it.

·
Banned
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm not worried about Ruger "taking care of it" and the SP101 is a great little gun. :)

I'm sorry I didn't buy the one I tested years ago when they first came out with them in .357 Magnum. It was marked on the Barrel for 125 Grain ammunition. I really can't believe it took me this long to get one. I've got a Holster on order, and something to use to "get me by" until I get the PMK from Milt Sparks.

Anything mechanical, or manmade can fail, even man himself. That's why I carry more than one gun.

Biker

·
Registered
343 Posts
One of these is going to be my next purchase. The one we have at the local indoor range has had the heck shot out of it and still groups well at 10 yards, 20 seems a bit far to me for an ititial test firing. I would have moved the target in closer and shot it some more and check for differences in performance.

·
Registered
43 Posts
You might have someone else shoot it before you send it in. I have a SP101 that is a great shooter. A friend of mine, who is a firearms instructor, went with me for my first "date" with the SP when she was new. He couldn't hit anything with the gun and kept telling me something was wrong with the gun. I was putting the bullets in the 10 ring without a problem. My buddy typically outshoots me so this was funny for me, but not for him. Point I am making is, you may be a good shot but for some reason are having problems with the SP101. Have a friend shoot it just to confirm the problem with multiple shooters. That way when you call Ruger, you can be sure it is the gun.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Hey, Biker. Just received my SP101 back from Ruger repair. I've not had a chance to get to the range, but I'm more than happy with what they did. Opened the b/c gap to about .006 (from .002), replaced the crane, cylinder release, and some internal parts. Had a couple other things noted as repaired, and they polished out all the scratches. From the soot on the cylinder face, they obviously fired at least a cylinder full to check function. Sent it back in the original box, along with a new owners manual and some other info papers. Yeah, it took almost 2 months, but looks like it was worth the wait.

·
Banned
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
OK, got my SP101 back.

It took almost six weeks, but I'm happy. :D They replaced the barrel and a bunch of other stuff. When I sent it in the top of the barrel was serrated, like the GP100. The new barrel is smooth on top.

It functions and keeps the bullets on the paper. Now it's off to the Gunsmith for his magic. :)

Biker

·
Registered
197 Posts
Bummer!

BikerRN, I regret to hear of what you encountered with your SP-101. The SP-101 was the first revolver (3" barrel) that I purchased about a year ago. My wife and I have since put 1,600 rounds through it, and we both love it!

I trust that Ruger will get it right for you and that you will be "whistlin' Dixie" before long! :D

Edit: Whoops! I just now noticed that you are already "whistlin' Dixie!" Way to go!

Amistad

1 - 20 of 23 Posts