Ruger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Real close to ordering a sp 101 22 cal revolver for a plinking gun. i have been reading a few reviews about them and some are saying they have a very hard trigger pull so i check on a set of wolff springs for them and they say that you can put too light of springs in and the hammer won't hit the rim fire hard enough for them to go off.
So for those who have a sp 101 22 cal would really like to here how you like yours?
THANKS IN ADVANCE

·
Registered
141 Posts
I've had mine for a couple of months. It's my favorite gun, although that's probably because I shoot it lots because it's so inexpensive to do shoot.

The day I picked up my gun, I ordered a set of Wolff springs for it. Using any of those springs, the gun would fail to fire at least 30% of the time. I finally put the original spring from my SP101 .357 in it. I still get regular failures and am thinking I'll probably put the factory spring back in it. Yes, the trigger pull is a bit heavy. I figure that if I can master the gun with the heavier trigger, it will make shooting the defensive .357 a breeze.

·
Wandering Sandlapper
3,282 Posts
Comes with the caliber.

Most .22 revolvers regardless of make will have a heavy trigger because they need a strong mainspring to assure ignition with the rimfires.

Shoot it in Single Action and it will be MUCH lighter.

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
The trigger on SP 22LRs varies quite a bit, one gun to the next, so don't assume they all need a spring job. The one I had was quite good in SA, but almost impossible in DA. Put a #12 spring and had no problem. The indentation was shallower, but still no failures to fire. Have seen others in stores where the trigger, even in SA, was miserable. Helps to buy at your LGS and try before you buy.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
I would have bought one, only the grip frame was too small for me.
Our club bought two, they are popular with the members.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Have had my Sp101-22 for 3 1/2 months, and am completely happy with it. It does have a heavier DA trigger pull than my SP101-357 and the hammer is harder to cock for SA shooting, but the 357 has had 10 years of break in time. I have not had any problems with it failing to fire and it is quite accurate with SA or DA shooting, i am used to the trigger pull and it is not a problem. It is especially accurate with CCI Stingers. I bought a pair of 5 star speed loaders that were listed for the LCR-22 and they work perfect with it. I am well pleased with it and take it along whenever i go to the range, it is a perfect companion for the SR22p.

·
Registered
171 Posts
The double action trigger pull is tolerable, but the hammer pull, for single action, is probably the worst I have seen in my 77 years. I put in a 10# Wolff spring, and get at least 1 FTF on each cylinder, but I can at least pull the hammer back. Other than that, this is a great little gun, shoots pretty much to point of aim, but it's a shame the hammer pull is so bad. Why Ruger screwed up on this is a mystery, I have .22 revolvers from S&W, and H&R that are as smooth as glass, so the "needing heavy hammer" answer doesn't hold water. I guess that even Ruger can't hit all home runs. I sent them a letter, but never got an answer.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
I love mine. The DA pull is heavy but you become accustomed to it. The more you practice with it the easier it is to fire other DA guns.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I just ordered one on Monday. I think I'll order some speed loaders from Speed Beez. I'm hoping it's not gonna be a 6 month wait but it seems that's the norm these days. I also hope I don't have the problems I had with my new Mark III Hunter this summer. I had to send it back twice and now it takes a third place seat to my other Mark pistols. I originally intended on buying a .357 SP101 but I couldn't resist this when I saw it online.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I've had mine a little over a year, it's a lot of fun to shoot.
I replaced the hammer spring and trigger return spring with lighter versions from Wolff, get a few misfires now and again but not too bad. Built to last, my grandkids will probably inherit this revolver. My wife likes to shoot it too.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
I installed the 8# trigger return spring and tried the different Wolff mainsprings, and a factory centerfire mainspring, and they all had failures. I left the trigger spring in, and went back to the factory mainspring. The DA pull is better, and ignition is still 100%.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
My daughters SP .22LR trigger was pretty stiff out of the box, but not unmanageable in SA mode. After a couple trips to the range, I pulled it apart, polished the surfaces where there was obvious drag on the internal parts, and swapped the trigger return spring for a #8 Wolf. I honed the sear/trigger contact surfaces carefully, polished the bore the return spring rides in with JB on a tight patch, and buffed the cap that sits on the spring to a fine finish. I also polished the gritty feel from the mainspring strut with 800 grit Emory. That actually made the biggest difference as "smooth" operation goes.

It does not feel like a Colt Python, but single action and double action feel is much nicer. SA mode is actually very good.

Accuracy with the little revolver is A+ with most ammo, reliability, even with bulk Thunderbolt, (the worst), is as good as any other rimfire in the house.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts