Ruger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the title revolver the same inside as others in .357 Mag? I know there are some differences, but is there a standout difference between these revolvers?
I want to buy one.

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
Functionally, it's identical. Specifically, there ARE unique parts for the 8 shot SP101 22LR. The 357mag and 327FM also share some common parts that are disparate to the 38spcl only & 22LR SP101's.

So if you know how to clean, tune, reassemble, etc a centerfire SP101, you won't have any issue with the rimfire version.

What in particular might you be concerned will be different? To what purpose?

·
Registered
524 Posts
Spring weights are slightly different. Compare the parts diagrams between the SP models. If the part numbers are the same, that is a good sign!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I like to take apart and do trigger work (unprofessional, but not bad) change springs etc.
If the trigger guard and crane assemblies are the same, I'm happy.
I've reached a point where I can do the trigger job and polish anything I can reach in about 4 weeks. I don't use a buffer, just 3M polishing papers. I've received a few compliments.
Yes, I know Ruger polishes a gun much faster.
This will be my New Year's project.
Thank you Verminterror and Straightwall. I think I'll pick up that rim-fire revolver.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Verminterror: 4 weeks. It used to take much longer.
If I used a buffing wheel, I'd probably be done in 4 hours and I wouldn't like the results.
I learned this by experience.
Ruger leaves a lot of casting and grinding marks behind. We all know that.d I have to 'plane down' the surrounding metal until I reach the bottom of each blemish. There is always one pit that was much deeper than the others.
The result is blemish-free finish, with flat, not wavy flats. I do a touch of dehorning too.
As everyone has guessed by now, I'm no pro, but I'm getting the results I want faster with each revolver I polish. I'm on #6 now.
I really should buy a nice camera to take a few photos. Maybe after New Year's day.
My only real concern is the internals of the .22 SP101.
I can't wait to find out.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Know that the trigger spring will be stronger on a rimfire gun than a caliber that uses primers.

Firing a case where the rim must be crushed takes a stronger wack than just punching the thin wall of a primer.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
The hammer has a higher "step" on the face, and also I believe the transfer bar is longer, since the firing pin is higher in the frame to strike the rim of the .22. A .357 SP101 hammer will not work in the .22 version.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts