Ruger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2013 Ruger SP101 .22 that I returned to the factory because it was spitting lead at times. When it was returned I found the repair gunsmith had replaced the MIM hammer and trigger with investment cast parts! I was able to contact him and he assured I would be really happy with it!
It feels as though he did a trigger/action job on it as there is no creep at all! The action is very smooth!
But I hate how stiff the springs are especially the hammer spring!
After I checked out what had been done to it I installed a complete shim pack.
I ordered Wolff springs including a 11# spring which I hope to use on the hammer as well as the 8# rebound spring for the trigger. I've tried the12# hammer spring in the past and it's too stiff!
With a good action/trigger job and investment cast parts and shims,
How light do you think I can go with the hammer spring?
What is the lightest spring you have been able to use?

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
I would be careful light springs in a rimfire. I have always been taught that you need a pretty good thump to insure reliable pew pew pew.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I smoothed the rough edges on the hammer strut then slid a tiny washer (.036 thick)
followed by the 11# hammer spring and then the seat and rereassembled.
This combination seems to be working fine so far with no FTF's but I have yet to go out to shoot up a bunch of ammo because of the scarcity right now.
My Wheeler trigger pull scale shows a 3# pull for single action. It will not read past 8# for double action but it's much lighter than before! I could only guess, maybe 10#?
I will use washer shims if I need to fine tune from here rather than jump to a heavier spring!
If this setup does not workout I will do a followup post!

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Interesting. At one time a firm offered an adjustable strut that worked along those lines but it had a nut at the top of the strut with threads on the strut so one could adjust the tension but these were for the Six Series. Have you tried the 10 lb mainspring. Aside from the springs if you get FTFs there is the option of taking 0.020" off the top of the hammer strut to ensure adequate firing pin protrusion. See:

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I did also stone the top step on the hammer for a little more firing pin protrusion.
Leaves a pretty good dent in the case edge!
I didn't take off much but it makes a difference!
As far as hammer springs......
A 10# spring just isn't enough.
A 12# spring is too much.
A 11# spring had a couple FTF.
A 11# with the added shim seems to do the trick!
The spring fits the top of the strut better with the shim added.
Any adjustments will be by adding or subtracting shims.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Took my SP101. 22 out this morning and shot a few cylinders.
With the 8# trigger return spring,
11# hammer spring, .036 shim on top of the spring and the hammer nose stoned down abit......
It was an absolute pleasure to shoot!
Especially with the Pachmayr Diamond Pro grip!
I Love it!

·
Registered
8 Posts
View attachment 154753 View attachment 154754 View attachment 154755 I smoothed the rough edges on the hammer strut then slid a tiny washer (.037 thick)
followed by the 11# hammer spring and then the seat and rereassembled.
This combination seems to be working fine so far with no FTF's but I have yet to go out to shoot up a bunch of ammo because of the scarcity right now.
My Wheeler trigger pull scale shows a 3# pull for single action. It will not read past 8# for double action but it's much lighter than before! I could only guess, maybe 10#?
I will use washer shims if I need to fine tune from here rather than jump to a heavier spring!
If this setup does not workout I will do a followup post!
This also works on a GP100 22.

·
Registered
8 Posts
What can you tell me about your experience?
I had a take off spring from another Ruger centerfire DA revolver. It was much lighter than the rimfire hammer spring. Firing DA it would not always fire the rimfire rounds.
A small washer placed under the lighter spring added enough compression to make it work 100% in DA mode on the rimfire gun with a much better trigger pull.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Exactly! Just adding a .036 washer on top of the 11# spring plus stoning the hammer nose made all the difference in eliminating FTF's on my SP101. 22!

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Thanks for the fix info. I really like my Sp101 22 4 inch and for anyone that wants a fun 22 revolver this is a great gun to chose. It is not overly heavy for a 22 and this is why I did not get a GP100 in this cal eventhough I love that gun in 357. Just don't need all that bulk for a 22 in my opinion. As a kid I would have loved a revolver like the SP101. Back then all I had a chance to try was a H&R 22 revolver and I did not enjoy it at all. The trigger felt like pulling on a knife blade. LOL

1 - 12 of 12 Posts