Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have finally had a chance to sit down and really give my SP101 .22LR a good once-over since buying it. Here's what I think:

- Compared to my 6" S&W 617, this thing is the PERFECT size. The 617 is just way too big for a .22LR revolver.

- Lockup is tight and very nice.

- Ruger has addressed the sharp hammer edges by beveling the edges completely, making it extremely comfortable to cock.

- Finish is outstanding and better than my 617 that was almost $200 more.

- Factory grips are outstanding, but I have a Hogue monogrip coming in the mail to play with.

- Rear sight is no longer v-notched...it's rectangular making it much easier to see the front Hi-Viz sight.

- Trigger isn't as nice as my 617, but it's nowhere as bad as a lot of folks have mentioned previously. Perhaps they fixed it, but it's all relative. I do have a Wolff spring kit on the way to play with as well.

- 30oz is the perfect weight for this gun. It's extremely well-balanced in my hands and the milled lug was an outstanding idea on Ruger's part.

Overall, this gun has hit the nail on the head with first impressions. I'm going to take it for a spin on Saturday and will report back. I really think Ruger hit a home run with this gun and I'm proud to own one. The S&W 617 may have to find a new home once I play with this lil' guy.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Thanks for the informative review. If I had the money I'd be all over one of those.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
22 LR is a great round because they will always be around and they are easy to stockpile.

I have my eye on the SP101 22LR. I handled one and just plain liked the look, feel, and craftsmanship.

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
I think you'll really like the SP 101 22. I got mine mid- July and it's a nice little Gun. The only problem I had was the rear sight cross pin was working out after about 100 rounds. I degreased it and applied Blue Loctite. The Loctite which I only used a small drop had ran down between the sight body and the frame. That cause the rear sight bind and would not let it move to elevate. I fixed that by taking it apart removing the Loctite. I slightly bent the pin on the end and it's been fine ever since. The Loctite probably would have worked fine if I had pointed the muzzle down until it set. I have a S&W M 63 which I like a little better but the wife has sorter taken care of that. I knew it was a mistake to let her shoot it.
I have Hogue Monogrips on my SP. It was a improvement for me with my big hands over the factory grips.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think you'll really like the SP 101 22. I got mine mid- July and it's a nice little Gun. The only problem I had was the rear sight cross pin was working out after about 100 rounds. I degreased it and applied Blue Loctite. The Loctite which I only used a small drop had ran down between the sight body and the frame. That cause the rear sight bind and would not let it move to elevate. I fixed that by taking it apart removing the Loctite. I slightly bent the pin on the end and it's been fine ever since. The Loctite probably would have worked fine if I had pointed the muzzle down until it set. I have a S&W M 63 which I like a little better but the wife has sorter taken care of that. I knew it was a mistake to let her shoot it.
I have Hogue Monogrips on my SP. It was a improvement for me with my big hands over the factory grips.
I've had problems with their cross pins and my 22/45 as well. It's a Ruger thing, I think. Blue Loctite fixed that right up as well.

That Model 63 is a great gun...that may be next on my list. These .22's are addictive as all get-out.

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
I've had problems with their cross pins and my 22/45 as well. It's a Ruger thing, I think. Blue Loctite fixed that right up as well.

That Model 63 is a great gun...that may be next on my list. These .22's are addictive as all get-out.
It seems like this is an on going though minor problem Ruger has with these pins. They are aware of it and they need to address it. 22's are additive even more so today with the price of ammo. There's no way I'd part with my M63. Maybe if I beg the wife she'll let me shoot it once in awhile LOL. I had a 22 mag cylinder fitted to the 63 a few years back.

By the way welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It seems like this is an on going though minor problem Ruger has with these pins. They are aware of it and they need to address it. 22's are additive even more so today with the price of ammo. There's no way I'd part with my M63. Maybe if I beg the wife she'll let me shoot it once in awhile LOL. I had a 22 mag cylinder fitted to the 63 a few years back.

By the way welcome to the forum.
That 63 is officially next on my list; what a nice little gun. I just stocked 8K rounds of .22LR over the past month and it'll be my primary round for the range and the NRA classes that I teach. The other stuff will unfortunately be sitting around for awhile until prices come back down to reality.

Thanks!

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
That 63 is officially next on my list; what a nice little gun. I just stocked 8K rounds of .22LR over the past month and it'll be my primary round for the range and the NRA classes that I teach. The other stuff will unfortunately be sitting around for awhile until prices come back down to reality.

Thanks!
You have a good supply of 22 ammo. Smart move. I'm afraid it's going to get harder to get and prices will increase accordingly.

My 63 is an older one I got probably somewhere in the mid 70's. I know they discontinued them and supposedly brought them back into production. Really for all the years that I've owned it , it really hasn't had that many rounds through it. I bet if the truth be known it's only had maybe 1000 rnds thru it and that's pushing it. The wife has probably fired it more then I have. I prefer shooting big bore handguns and rifles.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Ruger hasn't beveled the hammer, the sharp edges were lost when they transitioned to the current MIM hammers.
Same with the rear sharps formerly on the older triggers.
Denis

·
Registered
760 Posts
Definately want this for my collection. Never shot one but sure do like the looks of it.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
I absolutely love my SP101 22 8 shot. Great gun and you are right that the trigger is nowhere near as bad as some have reported.

I have about 4000 some odd rounds through mine and the trigger has improved but it was never bad from the get go.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ruger hasn't beveled the hammer, the sharp edges were lost when they transitioned to the current MIM hammers.
Same with the rear sharps formerly on the older triggers.
Denis
Regardless, they fixed it and it's smooth.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I absolutely love my SP101 22 8 shot. Great gun and you are right that the trigger is nowhere near as bad as some have reported.

I have about 4000 some odd rounds through mine and the trigger has improved but it was never bad from the get go.
I just received the Hogue monogrip and Wolff spring kit to install. I'll give it a shot tomorrow at the range and see how it goes. Not even sure if I'll need the springs with the way the trigger is right now.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Good review. It was interesting what you said about the S&W 617. I thought the feel of the Ruger was much better as well. Haven't got the .22 yet but I like my 3" .357 SP! I can see why you might want new grips, but those wood inserts are just too purdy. Wish Ruger would sell them.

·
Registered
674 Posts
There must be a lot of variation in trigger assemblies when they come out of the factory. Mine was so rough the action would "lock up" in DA and SA. Deburring the trigger spring "tunnel" solved that problem (or disassembly and cleaning did, not sure).

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have changed the grips and do like the monogrip for the added pinky rest. However, I do love the Ruger wood inserts as well...I will definitely hang onto them and tinker in the future.

Tonight, I'll play with the springs and take them for a test run tomorrow at the range.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Congrats on the new SP101, it's such a fun gun to shoot. The Wolff spring kit helps with the trigger pull but if you go too light, light strikes result. I wish I could find some .22lr ammo right now, everyone is out around here.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Congrats on the new SP101, it's such a fun gun to shoot. The Wolff spring kit helps with the trigger pull but if you go too light, light strikes result. I wish I could find some .22lr ammo right now, everyone is out around here.
I'm planning on putting the 12# mainspring and 8# trigger return into it. Any lighter on the main and I'll have problems.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
OK, so I did the spring job tonight. I did not like the 8# trigger return spring at all, honestly. It didn't seem to return the trigger with the authority that I typically prefer. So, I put the stock spring back in.

The mainspring was taken down to the 12# spring and it's tapping snap-caps with authority. I will take it to the range tomorrow and report back.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts