Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I think Ruger is putting a hammer spring in their new 8 shot .22LR that's stronger than the usual 14 lbs. used in their centerfire SP101's. :eek:

Here's the results of some spring swapping I did using a factory 14 lb. hammer spring from a .357 SP101 and a Wolff 8 lb. trigger return spring:

Ruger .22 Factory hammer spring + Ruger 10 lb. trigger spring = SA of 4.75 lbs & DA of 13.25 lbs
Ruger .22 Factory hammer spring + Wolff 8 lb. trigger spring = SA of 3.125 lbs & DA of 11.25 lbs
Ruger .357 14 lb. hammer spring + Wolff 8 lb. trigger spring = SA of 3.0 lbs. & DA of 10.0 lbs.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Lets keep this going. I installed a 10# hammer and it is still stiff as a... As a... Well, you get the idea. Really stiff.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I just got the spring kit and want to do this to mine this week. I'll report back my experiences when I do also, as a point of comparison so we can see if yours [or mine] was uniquely stiffly or weakly sprung.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I installed the Wolff 8# trigger spring and 12# hammer spring, and got no misfires. I'm going to try the 10# hammer spring next, and see how that works. With the 8/10# combination, I get a 2.5# SA trigger pull, and a DA pull of 8.25#. If I don't get any misfires with this combo, I'll call it good.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I installed the Wolff 8# trigger spring and 12# hammer spring, and got no misfires. I'm going to try the 10# hammer spring next, and see how that works. With the 8/10# combination, I get a 2.5# SA trigger pull, and a DA pull of 8.25#. If I don't get any misfires with this combo, I'll call it good.
Thats great. I was only able to get down to about 9.5 lbs with the 8 lb. trigger spring and 10 lb. hammer spring.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Anyone have any follow-ups on switching out springs?

I bought a Sp101 .22LR about a month ago and it suffered light firing with stock springs. I sent it back and just received it. I hope to hit the range today to see how it does.

I really would like to lighten the hammer spring.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
I've discussed it with Ruger, they want the heavier spring for absolute ignition reliability (or as close as you can get with the rimfire priming :) ).
Interesting to see what you guys come up with, but since I don't figure on using the DA much I'm still leaning toward staying factory.
That could change if I see enough positive results with lighter springs....
Denis

·
Registered
16 Posts
I installed the 10# hammer spring, but got 50% FTFs. So, back to the 12#, and staying there.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I installed the 10# hammer spring, but got 50% FTFs. So, back to the 12#, and staying there.
I have the 10 lb. hammer spring and 8 lb. trigger spring. I got about two to three light hits out of 200 rds of the Federal 525 rd. bulk box. I also was getting light hits out of my M&P .22 rifle so I think it is the ammo. I plan on keeping the 10 lb. spring in for now. I had no light hits with about 50 rds of CCI mini mags or a box of hypervelocity aquilas. My trigger pull averages about 9-10 lbs. in DA. and 3 lbs. in SA.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I like this...it's like I have my own R&D team ;) The hammer spring annoys me more than the trigger and I use this gun for plink/target so I usually shoot SA. Plus I am use to a heavy pull with my DAO Sig.

According to Wolff, the SP101 factory hammer is 14# and the trigger is 10#...are you guys thinking the .22LR is higher?

Another question...if I kept the 10# trigger, but lowered the trigger to 10# would that be a successful combo?

I'll be the first to admit, I'm not sure how they work together to ensure proper firing. This makes me wonder if I should even think about swapping springs...but I suppose it's not anything I can't reverse.

·
Registered
91 Posts
According to Wolff, the SP101 factory hammer is 14# and the trigger is 10#...are you guys thinking the .22LR is higher?
It seems like some are thinking that, but there is no concrete evidence given yet to support it. Just information that indicates that this may be true.

Another question...if I kept the 10# trigger, but lowered the trigger to 10# would that be a successful combo?
:confused:

Do you mean keeping the 10# trigger spring but lowering the HAMMER spring to 10# also?

I'll be honest. I just swapped my hammer spring out to the 12 lb version from the kit, if I remember right [got to go double check now]. Left the trigger spring alone.

DA seems to be around 10lb 3oz, unless my gauge isn't working right. SA is about 4lb1oz. I'm happy with that. I may play with the trigger return spring, but I don't want light primer strikes. I'd rather learn to use a stiffer trigger.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I may play with the trigger return spring, but I don't want light primer strikes. I'd rather learn to use a stiffer trigger.
The trigger return spring has nothing to do with light primer strikes but they can be caused by a weak/too light hammer spring. Feel free to try different trigger return springs.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
If I remember correctly (getting ancient) sometime back Ruger went from the std. 12 lb trigger return spring to a 10 so that should be what already is in it. If the innards are polished a 8 lb trigger return spring should work. It won't cause misfires but CAN cause the trigger to not fully reset.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.