Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking at getting another revolver after selling my first, a Taurus M82, and I found that my local shop has a semi-unique SP101. I am told that it was a model on contract with some French Police unit, and the current inventory is what the Police did not buy (maybe over runs?) Anyway, a thread from Oct of 2018 briefly talked about the same model #05776:

thread# 362653-ruger-sp101-05776-what (sorry, too new to post proper links)

My local has a few in stock, and they say these are brand new, and sold as such, with a priceline of $449. I hope to pick one up either tomorrow, or over the rainy weekend.

Seems to me, since I really like the 38-special, and coming off of a Taurus M82 ownership, this SP101, will be a great fit.

This will not be my first Ruger, as I currently am enjoying an RPR in 308, but this will be my first Ruger handgun.

Reactions: Shoebox1.1

·
Registered
539 Posts
Welcome and good choice of 3" SP in 38 spl. Ask if you can try dry firing to check the trigger. They seem to vary some from one SP to another. It's great you've got the opportunity to pick the one you want and look them over. That seems like a fair price too. Post a photo when and if you buy one.

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
I have been looking at getting another revolver after selling my first, a Taurus M82, and I found that my local shop has a semi-unique SP101. I am told that it was a model on contract with some French Police unit, and the current inventory is what the Police did not buy (maybe over runs?) Anyway, a thread from Oct of 2018 briefly talked about the same model #05776:

My local has a few in stock, and they say these are brand new, and sold as such, with a priceline of $449. I hope to pick one up either tomorrow, or over the rainy weekend.

Seems to me, since I really like the 38-special, and coming off of a Taurus M82 ownership, this SP101, will be a great fit.

This will not be my first Ruger, as I currently am enjoying an RPR in 308, but this will be my first Ruger handgun.
I have seen this very model SP101 on CDNN Sports for $449.00 so thats a good price.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts

Not that new, I have had one for a while, it is a talo special, has nicer grips than the standard model. It has a tapered cylinder rather than not tapered and the barrel does not have the "consult your owners manual crap on the side it is small and underneath, makes a much prettier revolver. I enjoy it every month at the range.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all, seems I have stumbled on to the right revolver for me then... nothing left to do but get one in my hand and check the fit.

My wife has expressed interest in going with me to the local gun store to see what this SP101 is all about. Although not a gun enthusiast herself, she does want to learn to shoot for self defense, and she thought she might shop herself a nice firearm.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not that new, I have had one for a while, it is a talo special, has nicer grips than the standard model. It has a tapered cylinder rather than not tapered and the barrel does not have the "consult your owners manual crap on the side it is small and underneath, makes a much prettier revolver. I enjoy it every month at the range.
Regarding the lanyard loop; is it part of the grip, or did Ruger mount it direct to the frame?

·
Super Moderator
21,245 Posts
Not sure when the overrun was produced but check the alignment of the barrel to the frame. You can easily check by simply looking at the revolver from the BBL back toward the frame. I always swing out the empty cylinder as it feels safer and look at the top of the BBL vs. the topstrap.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not sure when the overrun was produced but check the alignment of the barrel to the frame. You can easily check by simply looking at the revolver from the BBL back toward the frame. I always swing out the empty cylinder as it feels safer and look at the top of the BBL vs. the topstrap.
Good tips, thank you.

I believe the loop is part of the grip. The loop is the head of the screw that attaches the grip.
Should one of these models follow me home, I will look to see if removing the lanyard is a (+)plus or not.

Question, with the larger grip, how well does this SP101 conceal?

·
Premium Member
2,682 Posts
Should one of these models follow me home, I will look to see if removing the lanyard is a (+)plus or not.

Question, with the larger grip, how well does this SP101 conceal?
Wait until you shoot the SP101...it will quickly become your favorite.

The SP101 is hard to conceal. OWB holster and long loose shirt is best option. I carry an LCR.357 for my EDC, but my SP101 is my favorite.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Wait until you shoot the SP101...it will quickly become your favorite.

The SP101 is hard to conceal. OWB holster and long loose shirt is best option. I carry an LCR.357 for my EDC, but my SP101 is my favorite.
I find my SP101 357 2.25" easy to conceal IWB appendix carry in an old Bianchi suede holster with belt above the cylinder which helps retain it. I opened the bottom to allow the gun sit lower and allow my belt to ride up over the cylinder. Even in a T shirt it conceals.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,682 Posts
I find my SP101 357 2.25" easy to conceal IWB appendix carry in an old Bianchi suede holster with belt above the cylinder which helps retain it. I opened the bottom to allow the gun sit lower and allow my belt to ride up over the cylinder. Even in a T shirt it conceals.
I guess we're all built a little different. I found mine in an IWB to be very uncomfortable when sitting...I don't find that situation with my LCR.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I guess we're all built a little different. I found mine in an IWB to be very uncomfortable when sitting...I don't find that situation with my LCR.
I think if I had the 3" barrel SP, AIWB might be very uncomfortable as the 2.25" does poke my gut a little already.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I did indeed come home with one of #05776 SP101 revolvers. My local had 5 in stock at the $449 price point. I knew when he put it in my hands, that it was the revolver I wanted... but just to make sure, my wife and I did look over a number of other revolvers (in 38-special only), and this little 3" revolver felt the best of them all... she still does not like it, as the weight is a bit much for her.

The gun dealer gave us both passes to their firing range, so that she can shoot a revolver of her choice... she wants to pick her own.

A few pics have been loaded, I really like that the Ruger logo is molded into the Hoague graip, kind of unique in that respect.

Attachments

Reactions: Shoebox1.1

·
Registered
302 Posts
I did indeed come home with one of #05776 SP101 revolvers. My local had 5 in stock at the $449 price point. I knew when he put it in my hands, that it was the revolver I wanted... but just to make sure, my wife and I did look over a number of other revolvers (in 38-special only), and this little 3" revolver felt the best of them all... she still does not like it, as the weight is a bit much for her.

The gun dealer gave us both passes to their firing range, so that she can shoot a revolver of her choice... she wants to pick her own.

A few pics have been loaded, I really like that the Ruger logo is molded into the Hoague graip, kind of unique in that respect.
Let her know that the weight will work to her advantage whens she fires the gun. :)

She will love the feel of an alloy revolver up until the point that she fires it, much more recoil. Flinching while firing the gun is not conducive to hitting your target. :)

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
A regular Hogue bottom grip screw will work on your SP101 I actually think this is a very cool looking revolver. CDNN Sports has some in stock I was temped to get one. My last SP101 was a regular production SP101 3 inch barreled .38 Special.......I sold it to get a Ruger .22 Magnum LCR!!! I wished I would have kept it. Very accurate with 158 grain .38 Special factory loads and my 150 LSWC hand loads was also very accurate. The .38 Special + p loads wether they are factory loads or something equal in a reload this was all I really wanted to shoot in a SP101 revolver but it handled these loads very well and very accurate. I get temped to get another SP101 3 inch .38 Special but I can also do the same with a regular SP101 .357 as well and have a tad more versatility in a revolver. To the OP if my LGS had one of these SP101's like your's in stock where a I could look it over very carefully I would buy one. But I do not buy firearms online like to see what I get before I put the cash down. You will enjoy your SP101 several great loads in .38 Sppecial +p I hear the 135 grain jhp in a good .38 Special +p is a very good load!!! Good luck and thank you so much for sharing pictures of a fine revolver!!!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
302 Posts
Let her know that the weight will work to her advantage whens she fires the gun. :)

I know how women think. Just so there is no misunderstanding let her know that the weight OF THE GUN will work to her advantage
LOL, you're a better man than me if you believe you understand how women think! :thumbsup:

Quite likely, the only man on the planet with that ability. :)

1 - 20 of 51 Posts