Ruger Forum banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
I was hoping to get my SP101 to the range this weekend, but it is looking like a rainy weekend is in store. I did get a holster for the 3" barrel. When I registered the revolver online with Ruger, they sent me a 10% off code to use in their shop, so I bought the one and only holster they offered for the 3"... It came yesterday, so it is now married up with the new revolver. Fitment is tight, could barely get the thumb strap snapped together, as the sleeve for the barrel looks to be a little short sighted.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Got an email from CDNN this morning, Friday 5/9, that this revolver is on sale for $399 again.

Just a heads up in case someone wants to jump on the deal.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
I finally got to shoot a few rounds out of mine, and I gotta say I have no regrets. Although I paid $50 more for mine, it has been worth it. That CDNN is a great price for a really nice revolver.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Between this 3" French Railway police surplus/overrun and the new 3" Colt King Cobra, there are certainly some superb fixed-sight 3" options available today. While the Colt is chambered for .357 magnum, I'd probably restrict it to primarily .38 Special/.38 Special +P use.

The Colt had a very, very nice trigger out of the box, but it's significantly more expensive, selling in the upper $800s with minimal discounting observed to date.

The SP101 trigger should clean up nicely with use, and/or a Wolff spring kit (and possibly some inner workings clean-up).

·
Registered
541 Posts
Hey $50 isn't the end of the world but might be an incentive to shop other dealers in the future. Get a price from the dealer you bought this from and shop it. I use a dealer that operates out of his home and his prices are below most stores and on line shops. I check others first, as I usually buy NIB so the product is the same. If I trade then usually do better at the stores, not always though.
Terry's quite right, but, on the other hand, if you hadn't dropped the hammer, the gun might have been gone after you'd performed any subsequent shopping, or waited until the sale.

In the future, another alternative might be to ask if the store is having any sales in the imminent future, and if they'll honor that price early, or if you can have them hold the gun for you until the sale.

And, while it's not chump change, $50 is only about the cost of 2 boxes of ammunition...

Best, Jon

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Absolutely, the lanyard loop just unscrews from the frame, and the grip can be removed. The revolvers linked to gunbroker are not the same as the model I started this thread on.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Nice pickup, you will enjoy it. There was a French contract that Ruger supplied consisting of around 10,000 SP101s, part was KSP-821 (SS, .38 Spl., 2 1/4" Full Shroud Barrel), part was KSP-831 (SS, .38 Spl., 3 1/16" Full Shroud Barrel). Both had lanyard rings. This is what I believe yours is. There is a rarer French contract version that was a KSP-821 in 1997-98, they had internally installed lanyard ring and French Proof marks. These were returned to Ruger from France, repackaged and offered by Lipsey's. When you received one from Lipsey's they had a hang tag on them that said "USED FIREARM". These are hard to find.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I think everyone needs a sp101. Including me!! The 3 inch king cobra is superb and doesn’t leave my side. Great trigger. I got it for under 800

41 - 51 of 51 Posts