Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m a fan of 3 inch revolvers and the Ruger SP101 could be the best all around performer. CCW, bed side gun, working on your property, walking in the woods, fishing buddy, range toy, etc. the 3 inch SP101 in 357 magnum is a great all purpose revolver. Dare I say the best? What do you all think.
Gas Font Everyday carry Metal Gun accessory
Tool Wood Hardwood Fashion accessory Metal
Wood Gas Kitchen appliance Flooring Chair

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
3" GP100 357Magnum
3" Redhawk 8 shot 357 Magnum
3" Super Redhawk 454 Casull
I will have to disagree with you sir but very, very nice gun you have! If I agreed these guys would know it and never shoot straight again!
The redhawk and super redhawk are fine guns but to heavy for me to CCW or walk around the outdoors with maybe with a chest holster it’s possible. I do like the GP100 in 44 special 10mm, and 357 have them all but not for CCW, that’s where the 5 shot sp101 comes in to play. With guns there are always trade offs but always fun to talk about it, thank you for your comments.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I will agree with you, except I prefer the .327 Federal Magnum. Have four firearms in that caliber, with the 3 inch SP being the last one I want/need. Not the time to be gun shopping....
I have it in 327 Federal as well. This is a down the road project gun. Could have bought it for $450 two years ago, bought it in September 2020 for a crazy amount more. Like the cartridge but heaviest load I seen is 130 grain cast from buffalo bore, on paper it looks impressive but a 180 grain outdoorsman load from BB is hard to beat but both rounds are brutal on the SP101s. Thank you for your comment.
Revolver Trigger Air gun Gun accessory Gun barrel

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
I read somewhere before the internet was invented that you need a 4 inch barrel to get the full benefit from the 357 round. That is why my SP 101 has the 4 inch barrel. They are great guns no matter the length of the barrel. you never feel under gunned with one. Gsokk you have a great looking gun, does the porting help with recoil?

·
Registered
184 Posts
I hate you guys! Not really. But yes, a 3" SP101 (and a 3" GP100) is an awesome item to have. This is the worst time ever that I've experienced to buy something though. I'm not selling or trading anything I have either.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I read somewhere before the internet was invented that you need a 4 inch barrel to get the full benefit from the 357 round. That is why my SP 101 has the 4 inch barrel. They are great guns no matter the length of the barrel. you never feel under gunned with one. Gsokk you have a great looking gun, does the porting help with recoil?
Yes porting helps with felt recoil and muzzle rise. 357 125 grain magnum loads are very shootable. The downside is noise not muzzle flash. Very loud but can’t tell much difference in flash.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Not a Ruger ... but one of my favorite "do everything" guns is also a 3" .357 magnum and I thought you guys might enjoy it too. It's a S&W Model - 13. I bought it in the late '80s at a local pawn shop for $225.00. It has a little holster wear around the muzzle and front of the cylinder. But the cylinder and spring are all still super tight. It makes me feel it was probably an LEO or security EDC that spent most of it's early life wrapped in leather.

Being a K-frame I mostly have shot .38s in it and used it for years as a house gun loaded with Glaser .38 +Ps. Also carried it as a trail gun with a couple of shot shells backed by hollow points for hiking and bank fishing. I added a sweet set of VZ G-10s to freshen it up and it's basically retired and makes the occasional range trip. A great little shooter and I wouldn't trade it for a box of puppies.

Revolver Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory

·
Registered
209 Posts
I don’t care for the factory bobbed hammer, I had one and it did nothing but strike light and the factory DA trigger pull was HORRENDOUS. Got rid of that one. We now have a standard SP-101 with a 2 1/4“ barrel. Nice little revolver, it’s my wife's trail gun and it’s built like a little tank. She only uses .38 Special +P loads in it but it certainly does the job.
I prefer my 4.2” GP-100 for a trail gun and my 2 3/4” Speed Six for carry, but that’s just me. Personally, I’m not a fan of magna-porting or porting of any kind.

GS

1 - 20 of 144 Posts