121 - 140 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
1,200 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
I mentione

same gun in 327 federal has six. I have one and I like it. I thought somebody makes a 7 shot 3 inch revolver in 327 that looked good to CCW.
I believe Doc Holiday carried three pistols in the Hollywood version, strong side, cross draw and shoulder holster.
Hammer down on an empty cylinder gave him five shots in each.
He would have carried SP101's had they been available.

·
Registered
781 Posts
My EDC is a 3” Speed Six. I have a 2 3/4” SP 101. But the Six has 6 shots of .357!
I've gone to the Speed Six 2 3/4" from the SP101 2 1/4" for carry too mostly because I shoot it much more accurately. Six shots vs five, handles 357 better and I don't find the extra 7 ounces an issue. I've tried for 4 years to get accurate with the SP but ready to trade it in. I shoot my 2.5" Dan Wesson, 2 3/4" Speed Six and 3" Speed Six all much better than the SP for some reason.
Revolver Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Wood

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well I'm new to this forum but have many many years on others and even more years of practical use/carry. For a perfect carry revolver I have to side with the F.B.I. The Model 13 S&W 3" round butt is superb..........especially with an after market fiber optic front sight. Here's my old Duty Gun,top (back when every body carried a wheel gun) and my off duty carry, bottom..... JMHO
Revolver Photograph Air gun Trigger Wood

TR

·
Registered
Love guns
127 Posts
I read somewhere before the internet was invented that you need a 4 inch barrel to get the full benefit from the 357 round. That is why my SP 101 has the 4 inch barrel. They are great guns no matter the length of the barrel. you never feel under gunned with one. Gsokk you have a great looking gun, does the porting help with recoil?
I'm sure it does but I bet when the round leaves the bbl is has the same ballistics as an old 38 S&W.:LOL:

·
Banned
448 Posts
I've gone to the Speed Six 2 3/4" from the SP101 2 1/4" for carry too mostly because I shoot it much more accurately. Six shots vs five, handles 357 better and I don't find the extra 7 ounces an issue. I've tried for 4 years to get accurate with the SP but ready to trade it in. I shoot my 2.5" Dan Wesson, 2 3/4" Speed Six and 3" Speed Six all much better than the SP for some reason. View attachment 164851
I agree that the Security/Speed six is alot easier to hold onto. The drawback is additional weight and concealability issues.

Imho, the SP101 makes for a better finishing off piece in deer camp. Rugged, reliable, all weather and you can carry it all day without hardly noticing it.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #136 ·
Well, I am back in the SP101 3" game.

I've owned a bunch of them and always sell them off chasing the next shiny thing...but in the end, the SP101 3" 357 magnum does all that I will ever need in a handgun to fill my specific requirements.

They just work!
Me too - love to experiment or try the new thing and like you always come back to the 3 inch Ruger it just does what I need it to

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #137 ·
This SW60-15 pro series is the only reason I haven't jumped on that 3" Sp101 police trade in at the shop down the street! It's about 4 oz lighter than the SP101 but otherwise like sized. I do like 3" revolvers but tend to carry only one at a time. Guess they can't all be Rugers, ;)

I have the same gun but I never warmed up to it. Great action out of the box and the slab barrel would make it easier to CCW nonetheless an excellent three inch j frame

·
Registered
84 Posts
Sp101 trigger breaks in well. But if you want it smooth ASAP then get Mcarbo trigher kit and follow the video. Best video on sp101 ever published. Explains everything one would ever need to know about the polishing and workings of most of the ruger double actions.

Thanks for posting this. I just picked up a new SP101 3" 357 and may do this fluff & buff!

121 - 140 of 144 Posts