Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My LGS has one of these and since they know I love Ruger revolvers, so they are giving me first crack at it...but, my concern, is that it says on the barrel .32 H&R, not .327 Fed....does this mean that I can ONLY use the .32 H&R rounds in them?
It looks to be priced right, I reload, so ammo rarity isn't an issue, but I've never even SEEN one of these .32 mags...any thoughts on this one?? Might make a nice back-up gun to my GP100 (yes, it is my ccw gun)...
I HAVE done a search on this forum, found a few threads, but nothing that really helps me to decide "yes" or "no".
Opinions??
mazer

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
It sounds like an interesting gun. Since you are a reloader, I wouldn't be worried about ammo availability. This might be a pretty collectable gun. I say put a deposit on it, get the serial number, and call Ruger to find out just what caliber it is....

Let us know, with photos too!

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
Ruger did make the SP in a 32 H&R, back in the 90s. While not common, 32 H&R ammo isn't rare, either. It's a sweet, mild shooting little cartridge, but not even the equivalent of a 38 Spl version of the SP if you are looking for a self-defense gun.

You cannot shoot 327s in the 32 H&R, but you can shoot 32 H&r in a 327.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Sweet, I definitely would want a shooter!!! Collecting is fine....but prefer to be able to take any gun I own out to the range!! I think I'll go over to the LGS and have him put this on layaway till after the holidays. :)

·
Super Moderator
21,427 Posts
You can also shoot 32 S&W Long and 32 S&W in it. It would be a fun gun to shoot and woods walk with and marginal for SD. I think Buffalo Bore makes some loads for it that are probably more of a thumper if you had to use it for SD. When you get old with feeble hands it might not be a bad handgun to own though.

Here is a Hawks short bit on the 32 H&R:

.32 H&R Mag.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the load info terry_p, and the background info...I guess if I get this, then it's more of a plinker...but it would seem to be a decent back-up gun and since I live in the south where no one wears really heavy coats, it should work okay as a SD pistol...in a pinch. Thought it might make a decent primary since my wife currently uses my 5" Chiappa with light .38spl loads...i've been looking to get her something smaller(barrle length smaller :)), thought about my S&W 442, but this might make a better choice.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I have an SP 101 .32 Magnum. I could NOT zero the sights (the rear sight is only adjustable for windage). I had the gun drilled and tapped for a Red Dot sight. Now, it is a very satisfactory small game field and range pistol. It is a very strong and very nice piece but the sights leave a lot to be desired. After the red dot installation it is a very practical piece.

FWIW
Dale53

·
Registered
191 Posts
I love mine. have had it for years. is a very comfortable carry gun, yes I know its not a great sd gun but it is still better than none. I'm shooting 95gr cast bullets out of mine and the shoot great. I would say yes go for it if you feel the price is right.

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
I have an SP 101 .32 Magnum. I could NOT zero the sights (the rear sight is only adjustable for windage). I had the gun drilled and tapped for a Red Dot sight. Now, it is a very satisfactory small game field and range pistol. It is a very strong and very nice piece but the sights leave a lot to be desired. After the red dot installation it is a very practical piece.

FWIW
Dale53
Now that's a solution these old eyes can love! Nice setup.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Sounds like an interesting handgun.
I would buy it for that reason alone..... ;)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Myself I would look for the 327 then you could shoot the 32 H&R in it if desired. Of course I have the 327 and am partial to it.

·
Registered
164 Posts
mazer

I am picking up a SP101 in .327 federal today. They were hard to find, but I eventually did.

If you are not recoil sensitive or noise sensitive, I would hold out for the .327 federal. Having said that, I bought mine, so that my wife can shoot the milder .32S&W and .32 S&W Long out of it, and then if she decides to carry it, the .32H&R magnums. I am 99% sure she'd never shoot the .327 mags out of it. I still wanted it so that my sons and I could play around with the .327 mags once in a while, or if she tires of it, I would consider carrying it. I ended up paying about $525 total for mine. If you're getting a deal on this one, I'd go for it.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Actually, after some further thought, I am going to get this. Price is too good I think and my wife will love it. I hope!! But if not, I'll use it!!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts