Ruger Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Ruger Sp101 327 4.2 in that I’m having a problem with. When I fire the gun on occasion the double action trigger becomes so heavy that I have to stop. I can open the cylinder and reclose and things return to normal. This seems to happen often - probably 3 or 4 rounds out of 50.

I replaced the hammer spring with a Wolf 12 lb. and at one time replaced the trigger return spring with the Wolf spring. The pull was lighter but the trigger was not as smooth as it was originally so I put the factory trigger return spring back. I left the 12 ib. hammer spring in. The hammer is also shimmed. The DA trigger pull is heavier with the factory return spring but smoother. This problem occurs not matter what springs I use.

I do reload and the loads are light (4.5 grains TiteGroup with 100 grain Badman RNFP hard cast bullets with Starline Brass and CCI500 primers ) . I make sure the primers are fully seated. I’m not sure what’s causing the bind up. The problem does not occur dry firing using snap caps on putting fired brass in the cylinder. Any suggestions?

Thanks!!!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update

I did more tests. I tried to fill the cylinder with many more fired cartridge cases and in one case the cylinder would not close and and in another the cylinder would not turn. It looks like the ejector may not be setting in it recess properly and causing a jam. In both cases I ejected the fired cartridges from the gun and then reloaded the fired cartridges back and it worked fine - no binding. I'm at a loss to explain other than something is getting behind the ejector not causing it to seat but how, why and what? :confused:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts