Ruger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For about a year, I have been looking for a home defense / possible carry gun for my wife. Realizing it would be best for her to do the shopping and research and get what she likes, but she just doesn't like shopping for guns.

Our first trip to the local dealer, she picked out the LCR .38 special. She liked it ok, but it really kicked too much for her to shoot more than 1 cylinder.

I thought about getting her a Bersal .380, but heard the slides were hard to rack. She has arthritis in her hands.

I ordered online an SP101 .327 Fed Mag and finally got to shoot it today.
She actually had fun shooting the .32 S&W Longs out of it. :)

My sons and I also shot some .327 Fed Mags (Speer Gold Dot 100gr and Hydra-Shok Low Recoil 85 gr), as well as some .32 H&R magnums.

I was surprised how little recoil the .327 Fed Mags have. And I think my wife will have no problem regularly shooting .32 H&R mags out of it.

In comparison, the LCR has much more kick shooting .38 special 130 gr, than the SP101 does shooting .327 mag. :D :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
335 Posts
That's good to know about the 32 H&R mags, I just put a SP101 4"bbl .32H&R on layaway for my wife (although she doesn't know it yet), she currently loves my Chiappa rhino which is a 5" bbl, and shoots nothing but 38spl out of it :(...so, I'm hoping she takes over my SP101 instead!! Then I can have my Chiappa back! This would end up being a truck gun for her.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I really like the 327 and have found the only problem to be it's loud. Doesn't bother me but I've had several comments while at the range. Sure hope she enjoys that 327. The SP is just the right size and weight.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Congrats clintnc - glad to hear the SP101 in .327 is working out for you. They're great revolvers - enjoy!

·
Registered
116 Posts
I still enjoy my SP101 3" 327 Fed Mag and after a little tweaking (Hogue Monogrip and hammer spring) I carry it every day. Great shooter and self defense gun. Of course I have run into some that laugh at my little 32 cartridge until they shot it and do a little research. No need to carry a 44 Mag or 500 S&W as this will do the job. If you reload you can tweak it a little more if you want to.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I still enjoy my SP101 3" 327 Fed Mag and after a little tweaking (Hogue Monogrip and hammer spring) I carry it every day. Great shooter and self defense gun. Of course I have run into some that laugh at my little 32 cartridge until they shot it and do a little research. No need to carry a 44 Mag or 500 S&W as this will do the job. If you reload you can tweak it a little more if you want to.
Yep, I never thought I'd own a .327. I used to laugh and say, who buys these things? I also didn't think I'd ever get into reloading...Now I'm interested in trying that. Any recommendations on a good resource on how to get started. I've saved all the brass I've used so far.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I don't reload myself but have a good friend that does mine for me. He has been reloading for about 30 years. I furnish the ingredients and he puts them together. Needless to say I trust him and he has reloaded several thousand rounds of different calibers for me and no problems yet.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Yep, I never thought I'd own a .327. I used to laugh and say, who buys these things? I also didn't think I'd ever get into reloading...Now I'm interested in trying that. Any recommendations on a good resource on how to get started. I've saved all the brass I've used so far.
Google a book called "ABC' s of Reloading". It's a great resource for someone that is looking to get into it. It's a very rewarding hobby, and opens up SO many cool guns and calibers you wouldn't normally consider. You probably won't save much money in the long run, but you will shoot a lot more:)

I personally started with the RCBS rock chucker kit. Soon, I learned what tools I liked, which ones I didn't, and perfected my set up from there... Leading to 4 presses, including a progressive.

A short list of calibers I have, and would not otherwise if I didn't reload is:

.327 mag
460 Rowland
45 Colt
35 Whelen
458 Socom

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
You and your son had better shoot some
full house loads before you let your wife.

Then consider a monogrip.
By full house loads, are you referring to factory ammo .327 Federal Magnum loads or Handloads?

I had heard the .327 mag packed a punch, so I didn't let her shoot that, only the .32S&W Longs. But, my son and I did. We were both surprised that it didn't kick that much. We were shooting 100 grain Gold Dot HPs as well as some 85 grain Federal Hydra-shok.
Granted, I put the Hogue Monogrips on before we shot anything. So I'm sure that helped. Also, our only other revolvers are the LCR and a J-frame. Seems to me the .38 special in the LCR kicks more than the .327 in the SP101.

·
Registered
82 Posts
The 327 Federal Magnum is no wimp.

I have been shooting semi-autos for so long, that maybe I'm just getting soft...but after about a half a box of American Eagle 100g. 327 Federal loads, I'm already feeling a numbness in my hand. After a full 50 rd. box...it takes a few days for my hand to return to normal.

Someone who shoots revolvers consistently...I can understand it when they say "it didn't kick that much." However, if you routinely shoot a lot of 9mm, 40S&W or even 45ACP and then pick up a 327 Federal...the recoil is significant.

Then again, thats just my opinion.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts