Ruger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a new 4.2" SP101 (5771). I am able to wiggle the rear sight side to side and up and down. Is this normal? The adjustable rear sight on my 4" GP100 is pretty rock solid.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I just got a new 4.2" SP101 (5771). I am able to wiggle the rear sight side to side and up and down. Is this normal? The adjustable rear sight on my 4" GP100 is pretty rock solid.
Welcome to the new production Rugers!! I've sent back 4 in 1 year!!

Hit and miss if you are lucky!! with me it was MISS 4 times in a row!!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Is the pin that secures the adjustable sight to the frame missing? Is the elevation screw loose or missing? Does the adjustable sight appear used or broken?

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
There are some small springs associated with the adjustable rear sight... perhaps one of them is missing as well.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies!

The pin is there. The elevation and windage screws are there and not loose. The sight looks new to me.

I have been comparing it to my GP100 which has no rear sight side to side play. On the SP101 I can wiggle the whole rear sight side to side with little effort.

On the GP100 I can push the sight down with some effort and it feels springy. The SP101 sight is much easier to push down but also feels springy.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I pick up my SP101-22 with adjustable sights Monday. I'm anxious to see if mine is like your's. I'll report back either way.

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
Unless the rear sight is screwed all the way down, it will always be able to "spring" downward. That's not a defect, that's how it's designed.

For the lateral play, cut a couple of shims to run the length of the sidewall of the rear sight mortise, hold them in place with the rear sight pin and either a smear of JBweld or super glue. Circular shims will work too, but a full length shim works better.

You could try another rear sight, Ruger would send you one for free, but if it's a problem with the rear sight mortise, they have to replace the revolver to fix it - OR you can spend about $3 on a set of shims...

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I would not add anything to the gun. It should not be like that. I would call Ruger and let them send you a label and get it fixed correctly from the factory. It could be a bad rear sight assembly and if that is it they will probably send you one to see. But I bet they will want it. Don't let the LGS send it in, it will take longer. Get a label from Ruger.
let Ruger get it right.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys! I will see what Ruger has to say about it. I think they are shut down until next Monday.

This is actually my third SP101 and all three, new in the box, had issues. First one (2.25") had a crooked barrel and some horrid grinding on the top/interior part of the trigger group. Next was a 3.06" that had late initial timing. Ruger was great about fixing those two....it's just disappointing to see them leave quality control to the customer.

For the record, I have a GP100, 10/22 and 22/45 that have been flawless.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Thanks guys! I will see what Ruger has to say about it. I think they are shut down until next Monday.

This is actually my third SP101 and all three, new in the box, had issues. First one (2.25") had a crooked barrel and some horrid grinding on the top/interior part of the trigger group. Next was a 3.06" that had late initial timing. Ruger was great about fixing those two....it's just disappointing to see them leave quality control to the customer.

Wow, I'm really surprised hearing these lack of quality issues from ruger owners. I would have expected better. Should be someone's butt kicked for lack of quality control.:mad:

·
Registered
160 Posts

Let us know what they say.....I hate hearing all these quality control issues....

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ruger replied and wants me to call them so they can issue a call tag and bring it in to the mothership. So it may be a while before I can post a resolution.

Just doesn't seem right for the entire sight assembly to wiggle around like that.

They didn't get the beveled edges on the top strap even either, not even close. But that's purely cosmetic.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sorry I haven't replied before now...

I called their customer service/tech support to get a call tag and explained the issue. They first suggested to knock the retaining pin partially out and tap on it to put a slight bend in it and tap it back in. Well I tapped on it too hard, put too much of a bend in it and just pulled it out and couldn't straighten it back well enough. So Ruger sent me a replacement pin and I tapped it halfway in, lightly tapped on the top of it then tapped it all the way in.

And it worked!! It has a very snug fit now...hardly moves at all. I also put a tiny drop of blue Loctite at each end of the pin but the sight assembly was nice and snug even before I did that final step.

·
Registered
1 Posts
SP101 Loose Rear Sight Blade

Just got my new revolver out of the box and the adjustable rear sight blade is loose side to side and up/down. Not the whole sight, just the blade? Looks like from this thread this has been going on for a few years. Is there a quality control problem at Ruger?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts