Ruger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, bear with me as I'm still learning about 357 magnum.
I have an SP101 that I really enjoy shooting. Mostly 38, but like too shoot magnums as well. The problem for me is 158gr kinda hurts. The 125s don't. I keep reading about flame cutting and forcing cone issues from the lighter bullets. Is the Remington UMC 357 125 gr on the higher end of pressure, or is it a milder load? What about Federal C357B? That's what I carry in my gun. I understand the flame cutting (it's got a very small cut) but I don't want to destroy gun.

Thanks. I know this might be beating a dead horse, but I'm still learning.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Learning the snub too. My SP101 is only a week old. Been doing a lot of research on different .38spl/.357mag rounds through a short barrel. I reload so that's why I'm so interested.
I read, and it makes sense to me, that optimum would be a fast-burning powder behind a heavy bullet would lessen the cone and cutting issues.
Burn as much powder as possible in the case/chamber before it gets to the gap. The heavier bullet keeps it contained a bit longer, getting the mass moving.
158gn SWC in front of Titegroup will be my first .38spl experiment.
As far as factory ammo, I'm not sure.

·
Registered
524 Posts
It is my understanding that flame cutting goes only so far and then it stops. Flame cutting will not cause the top strap to fail.

·
Registered
442 Posts
The fears of 125 Federals and Remington 357 apply to Smith&Wesson K frame magnums.

Keep the forcing cone cylinder clean and that helps your weapon and your shooting.

I have several SPs and for SD I use 125-140 grain Mid Range 357s. Speer Gold Dot Short BBL loads, Remington Golden Sabers and my favorite Buffalo Bore 125 grain Mid level 357 @ 1220fps.

Another alternative that I use in other weapons, but also shines in the SPs are the Buffalo Bore 38Special LSWCHPGC +P catalogue listed as: 20A/20 Doing an honest 1,050fps out of a 2.25"bbl and 1,100fps out of a 3".

Kicks like what it is a heavy 38Special.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought it was mainly the k frames but just wanted to double check. I handled a 4 s&w m65 once and it was sweet. I usually shoot 125 gr magnums since it's not as hard on my hand. I don't shoot allot of the C357B's do to cost. Thanks for the responses.

·
Registered
160 Posts
what do yall think about Hornady Critical Defense 110 grain FTX .38+P and Hornady .357mag 125 grain XTP for carry ammo ...I am carrying a SP101 4.2 inch barrel....was using a older Rossi Interarms .38 special with 3" barrel....the Rossi is still a sweet gun after I had a trigger job done on it many years ago....I just need to find the rear adjustable sight blade for it...lost it sometime time over the last 30 years.....Rossi still looks clean....probably rated at 98% no less than 97%...I just cant bring myself to part with it..was my first gun...the SP101 is my second hand gun

·
Registered
307 Posts
Federal 357B is my old duty and carry round. I now use it for training. Not bad out of an SP101 with Pachmayr Compacs. I've put close to 400 rounds down the pipe of my Wiley Clapp. No noticeable flame cutting. I currently carry Corbon 125gr DPX in my SP101 and GP100's.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts