Ruger Forum banner

SP101 are they ok

15K views 79 replies 62 participants last post by  0utlaw 
#1 ·
I just bought a GP100 and am thinking it needs a companion. I have thought about an LCP or LC9 or an SP101. I prefer revolvers so my question to the SP101 guys do you like yours?

#2 · (Edited)
I bought my SP101 after buying a 4" GP100. Enjoy both, but shoot the SP101 every week and the GP100 infrequently. It's only a five shot, but it's my truck gun and will be my winter EDC.

I prefer to shoot 357 Magnum loads in the gun and found the small, stock grips uncomfortable ... with any significant recoil, the void area just behind the trigger guard tends to whack my 2nd finger.

Bought the rubber monogrip replacement at ShopRuger. This grip fills in the problem area behind the trigger guard resulting in a much more comfortable experience. The grip is also available at Midway.

#8 ·
Love our SP101! Put a Hogue grip on there and enjoy.
I agree. The Hogue grip makes the SP a perfect fit.

#9 · (Edited)
Since you already have a GP-100, I'd go with an entirely different gun for CCW applications., LCR, LCP, LC9 etc.

The SP-101 is basically the same thing except smaller with one less round. Doesn't seem to make sense to get one of those in your case, unless you go with the .327 Federal Mag version. Then you will have some variety.

Just my opinion.

#10 ·
I like both the SP (snub) and the GP (4")...great guns. I'm too old and beat up to shoot full house 357's in an SP snub but I do fine with my 4" GP...I like the SP but only with 38 specials and 38 special +P's where I can shoot the GP a lot and still make a fist when I'm done.

#46 ·
Where did you get the black laminate grips? Very nice and look great on the stainless.

#13 · (Edited)
I bought my first GP100 in 1993...followed fairly quickly by an SP101! I chose the SP101 because it carried better, yet shot the same ammo as my GP100!

In 2009, after losing both of my jobs within 5 days of each other, we were forced to decide which guns we should keep and which we would sell to put food on the table. We kept both of our 2.25" SP101's (wife's in .38+P and mine in .357) and sold everything else, including 6 GP100's that I had! (It was a sad day!) I have a 2.25" SP101...but would probably get a 3" version if I had a choice!

There are so many options available for the SP101...grips from Hogue, Badger Custom, Eagle, etc...as well as front sights options from XS Sights, Meprolight, Ni-Viz, etc. And there are holsters galore available too! I prefer the Bianchi Model 7 3-Slot holster for RH OWB carry!

Good luck!

#14 ·
Love my SP. I wouldn't trade it for any other snubby. I'm looking forward to getting a GP or a Security 6 in the future.

I don't qutie agree with ChrisLCR though. It does make sense to get a second weapon that fires the same ammo. It makes proficiency a litte easier and gives you less to have to carry in an emergency. It's an old idea that goes back to the days of the wild west if not later.

#15 · (Edited)
I don't qutie agree with ChrisLCR though. It does make sense to get a second weapon that fires the same ammo. It makes proficiency a litte easier and gives you less to have to carry in an emergency. It's an old idea that goes back to the days of the wild west if not later.
Understandable from a practical standpoint, but it makes sense to have at least one different weapon system in place. That way, at least one will work for a certain application. If you have two .357mag/38spl revolvers and come across a bunch of 9mm in a survivalist scenario, you'd be out of luck.

#17 · (Edited)
Sorry Chris but I can't agree with you. The SP and the GP are different enough to make for very fun and very interesting gun ownership.
I don't agree, unless they are chambered for different loads, but if you love collecting revolvers, knock yourself out.
Like a lot of guys here I have several GPs and SPs and I like them all for their different barrel lengths, different sights, different grips, some for hunting sidearm, some for CCW, some are range toys, etc.
That's fine, if you like them and are financially well off.
By your philosophy you should own only one firearm type per caliber.
I never said that as a general rule, but that's what I plan to do until I'm financially better off and/or run into some really great deals. I can't even afford to shoot the ones I have now as much as I'd like to.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion and if you want to limit yourself that's OK. But I'm always on the hunt for a good buy on a GP or an SP.
Some of us have very limited budgets, and/or don't collect firearms just for the hell of it, not that there's anything wrong with that if you are financially able to do so. Every gun I own or plan on buying will have a unique purpose and of a different type, that way I can have one for most applications and learn all the ropes on how to use them and have at least one weapon for most commonly available ammo in a possible survival scenario. Later on, if I'm better off and have no other pressing issues, I may look into getting more of the same type of gun I think would be most useful.

The OP said he preferred revolvers and he asked for opinions on the SP101 from those who have them..... My opinion is "They're great!!"
The OP mentioned possibly LCP, LC9, etc. I'm just giving him some options. BTW... I think the SP-101 is a fine revolver myself.

#18 ·
I purchased my first SP in '92 and have enjoyed it ever since. It's a very well over built gun that has been stated here several times. It's a great little carry gun and my first choice in the winter. GPs SPs the more the better and that's in either 357 or 327.

#19 ·
Oh my Chris - no hard feelings, eh? As I said you are entitled to your opinion like everyone else. You just look at firearm ownership differently than many of us do. A lot of us enjoy collecting firearms and have done so for a very long time. I know guys who have lost count of how many 1911s they own! They obviously find enjoyment in that even though the guns are almost identical and in the same caliber.

Have you seen this thread in the Gallery?

http://rugerforum.net/gun-gallery/18910-peek-behind-our-door.html

You may not find it very fun or interesting but boy some of us sure do!

Wave

#20 ·
Wow... pretty nice. I do find that interesting and fun in a museum type way, but I realize it's not something that I'm capable of doing even if I wanted to. I'm more interested in learning all the different gun types and utilizing them in SD/HD or an "all hell breaks loose" scenario. I made a promise I wouldn't buy any guns I might not ever use or wouldn't want to shoot.

Talk to me 10 years from now and things may different.

#21 ·
Love my Sp 101 357 3" barrel, carry it every day, 357 recoil doesn't bother my hands because of the added weight, its a tank just like the GP100, just a little lighter and better for me to carry.

#22 ·
Thanks for all the answers, I am a revolver fan. I have had an LC9 and had problems with it so I was not impressed with it at all. I know a few guys with LCP's but I don't really have many 380's but I am looking at one today just to fire it and see how it goes.

I have given thought about a Vaquero Sheriff's model :D, I figure with .45 Colt that should be a fine back up.:D Or maybe an old Speed six too

#25 ·
I have 2 SP 101s. My wife preferred the 2" and I liked the 4" so we bought both. It's nice to share the same ammo when we go shooting. Highly recommend putting a Hogue rubber grip on them. It helps with the recoil as well as the accuracy.

#29 ·
I noticed a frame stud/block on the sp101 pics above. Does this hold the cylinder in place when the crane is open? or is it just for looks? My 95 SP does not have it. I must have fell asleep under a tree, when did this happen?

#31 ·
exlogger, not sure what you're looking at in the photo....the gun on the right is a Single Six, on the left an SP101. I have a 94 SP101 and a 2012 SP101 and they are identical except for barrel length and location of the rollmark on the barrel. Or maybe I'm still asleep under the same tree.... Wake me up and tell me what you see?

Wave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.