Ruger Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,246 Posts
I have 3 holsters for my 2 1/4" SP. A pocket holster and a belt holster both from Simply Rugged and and IWB from Crossbreed. They are all excellent in the application they were intended for. As to which is best it depends but they are all good value for the money.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Not to be busting on anybody but shot shells even in 38 special are more likely to make someone mad than stop them. Back on topic I am wanting one of the 3 1/16" SP101s. I have handled both extensively and the slightly longer barrel just give me a better sight picture.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Apart from other advantages, the longer barrel will add about 80 FPS velocity in .38 Plus P ammo. Depends on the brand and lot, but that is average.

The longer gun is also easier to shoot well at any real distance.

Lone Star

·
Registered
13 Posts
3" for CCW

I read alot about the 2" being the call for CCW, but I carry a 3" in an IWB Bianchi. It's more comfortable than my 9mm Beretta and hides very well. More importantly, the extra weight from the additional inch balances the weapon and I have not found recoil to be a concern. For any purpose, the 3" will work. Only drawback is a reduced number of holsters available. If they're open muzzle even that's not really an issue. I've had several gun and I keep falling in love with this one over and over.

·
Registered
42 Posts
....barrel length is probably the most discussed issue with the SP101 once settled on the platform itself. Recent quality issues aside [and over torqued barrels seem epidemic in the last 2 years] the SP101 is the smallest available revolver comfortable to shoot with magnum loads and able to withstand a reasonable diet of same. My wife has made it absolutely clear that she is not interested in the extra 0.8125" barrel length and corresponding increase in sight radius, not to mention weight. It all interferes with concealability and adds weight...her main issues. Therefore the shorter barrel for her. I have no problem concealing the 3". I shoot it better at longer distances and think it looks better with the longer nose not to mention gettin a little somethin extra in velocity over the shorty. My 2 cents.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I shot both back to back and bought the 3". It just balanced better for me. I use it mostly for the range, and home defense as a backup. I carry it now and then and will probably carry it more once I get a decent holster for it.
Right now it's my only revolver and I think it's the cat's jammies.:D

·
Registered
27 Posts
When I first held a GP100 I thought the grips were a tad big for my hands. It was a new one with the black rubber grips. Then I had a chance to hold one with the older style grips with the wood insterts, and really liked it. It fit my hand so much better. If the grip size is the main issue with the GP then it may be worth it to look at other grips before deciding.
I have not shot either SP101, only held them. I have a slight preference for the feel of the 3" barrel and the sights line up a tad better for me.

·
Registered
138 Posts
SP101 Barrel: 2 1/4" vs 31/8"

When I bought my SP101 two years ago I had several dealers looking for one with a 3 1/8" barrel with no luck. I finally found one with a 2 1/4" barrel and bought it. My wife had a S&W Airweight 2" (15 oz) and when she shot my 101 she had to have one. It has a much easier trigger than her S&W plus less recoil. She had dealers looking for one for several months (this was in 2008.) Finally a local dealer found her one with a 3 1/8" barrel and she bought it.

I like the heft and feel of hers better than mine. Mine is perhaps a better choice for CCW but that is ?? I can't say one is more accurate than the other given my level of shooting skill. She won't trade so that's out.

I guess I'll have to figure out a way to get a GP100. ;)

Grampie not Grumpie

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've got the 2-1/4" model and would like to try the longer barrel to compare. The 2-1/4" is plenty accurate at 10 yards...tho I wish I could shoot like those trick shooters and hit a pie pan from 100yds with a snubbie, but I'm not sure I can afford enough ammo to ever make that happen.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Not to be busting on anybody but shot shells even in 38 special are more likely to make someone mad than stop them.
Mad or not, they might consider, the next round may not be snake shot. I think first round shot, next hollow points make a lot of sense.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Regarding opting for the GP, I should have mentined that the gun is primarily for my wife. She likes the smaller feel of the SP versus the GP. She'll shoot primarily .38's but still wants to fire .357's occasionally though.

Regarding the grips, I was strongly considering the Hogue grip for the reasons menitoned above. But what do you think about the Crimson Trace grip vs. stock then vs. Houge?
Has you wife actually shot an "unmessed with" SP? The trigger can be a bugger for someone without good hand strength. My GP trigger is smooth.

I had an older crimson trace on my SP and replaced it with the Hogue grips. The grip was brutal even with practice loads. My glock still has crimson trace on it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I looked at both and got the 3" and Simply Rugged pancake holster and I'd recomend them to anybody. I prefer the Smith J frames for a snub. 642 or 638 in a no-lock. They're smaller, lighter and pocket carry better. jmho
Which pancake holster did you get?

21 - 34 of 34 Posts