Ruger Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I found a great deal on a 327 magnum sp101. Seemed like new. Really like the gun.
However after shooting and cleaning I noticed a dark ring in the barrel. On closer examination I found a slight bulge in the barrel. Barely noticeable but it’s there.
I am not a happy person! Returning the gun is not a option.
So what are my options? Probably needs to be rebarreled.
any ideas? Suggestions.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Give Ruger a call. I picked up my SP101 years ago at a gun show. Everything checked out at the show but after getting home and giving it a good cleaning, trigger wouldn't reset. Called them up, they had me send it in. They found a broken spring and a couple other small parts out of spec. I suspect a poorly done trigger job by the previous owner. They made it right no cost to me.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Without air guages it's hard to teach how to tell the extent of a bulge. How does it shoot?
I'd ask Ruger to check it out.
They usually won't do any expensive work without calling you first.
Or sell it to me at a deep discount! 🤠

Seems strange to have a bulge in such a short barrel. 🙄
I'd have some choice actions for the seller who slicked one on you. Want to buy a boat?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Can you detect the bulge when running a patch down the barrel (loose spot)? If so, it will most likely need a new barrel. If its not very noticeable and it shoots ok, just live with it. Rugers are tough and it takes a bit to bulge a barrel.

·
Registered
193 Posts
My current favorite range gun is a SP101 with a 3" barrel in 327 Fed Mag. I was not happy with the revolver and returned it to Ruger. It came back better and I have found a favorite load. I understand your dilemma as I made the same decision you are faced with. First choice, return it to Ruger for repair, second, pass the problem down the road or just shoot it as is.

I have several 32 caliber revolvers and enjoy the light weight and inexpensive to shoot caliber. My experience was the same and I choose to return the piece. The forum members above have provided good advice about returning the revolver for repair. If after the SP101 is returned and you still have doubts about the revolver you can sell it with a clear conscience. Hopefully when it comes back you will enjoy the caliber and the revolver. My first 32 was a vaquero that had been a SAS gun. The lady using it had purchased some "reduced" loads which never cleared the barrel. The first five bullets were still in the barrel when she finished the round. She finished the series with a 38 special another shooter had for backup. We sent it back, Ruger repaired it, and I bought it for the price of a 357 Vaquero. Now it is my "Bad bad Leroy Brown just for fun." gun.

Please give Ruger the chance to make to gun safe and right. Just don't try to lighten the load if you keep it. I currently enjoy a 32 H&R Birdshead Vaquero, a 32 H&R Blackhawk Bisley, and the SP101 in 32 Fed Mag.

It is your Choice. Let us know. You can see the Birdshead in my avatar.

·
Registered
101 Posts
No offense to my fellow posters but shooting a gun with a bulge in the barrel seems a tad dangerous, perhaps it will be fine 999/1000 times but guns generate an awful lot of pressure, I would get it okayed by a professional before I shot it, though I admittedly don’t have any expertise on this subject.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I would call Ruger to send it in. You can still do that yet, fairly easy nowadays. With our political climate, it may not be so easy, or possible down the road, should you decide to do it later.

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Northlake, welcome to the forum. I agree with the others about sending the gun to Ruger. I have always found them great to work with. Please let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
Advice ... when returning the gun is not an option ... that's a Bad deal for you .

Never do a deal where Returning the Gun is Not a Big Option .

What you are doing is buying a Pig in a Poke ... Caveat Emptor !
Gary

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
So I found a great deal on a 327 magnum sp101. Seemed like new. Really like the gun.
However after shooting and cleaning I noticed a dark ring in the barrel. On closer examination I found a slight bulge in the barrel. Barely noticeable but it’s there.
I am not a happy person! Returning the gun is not a option.
So what are my options? Probably needs to be rebarreled.
any ideas? Suggestions.
Did you buy it from a private individual? Did you wonder why it was such a great deal?

Used guns are almost always sold as is and non-refundable. Caveat emptor. I've bought some guns at my gun range and finalized the deal by shooting it. A bulged barrel is not something I specifically look for. I try to give it a good look and hope any bulge would be noticeable as I make my inspection.

It's yours now so make the best of it. An informal inspection can be done by slugging the barrel. You can sometimes feel constrictions as you push the slug and I'm sure if it's bulged you can feel that too. I don't think it's particularly unsafe to shoot it. You can always call Ruger and see what they say and take it from there.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you all for your input, I’m awaiting a response from ruger. I have no intention of shooting the gun until Ruger checks it out.
caveat emptor, i thought I had checked the gun out pretty well, didn’t notice anything until I gave it a good scrubbing and noticed a faint dark ring halfway down the barrel. Using a bright light down the external side of the barrel I can barely detect a slight bulge. Not something easily seen. You really have to work at it to see it.
Someone obviously suffered a squib, Ruger makes tough guns, but this must have been a nasty squib to do this kind of damage. Nothing that money can’t fix. Turning out to not be such a good deal.
I’ll post Rugers diagnosis

·
Registered
4,774 Posts
Makes you wonder, a thick barrel can do that, then look at the cylinder walls. A whole lot thinner !
No surprise that an over loaded cartridge can destroy the cylinder and top strap. Not too healthy for hands either

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
Thank you all for your input, I’m awaiting a response from ruger. I have no intention of shooting the gun until Ruger checks it out.
caveat emptor, i thought I had checked the gun out pretty well, didn’t notice anything until I gave it a good scrubbing and noticed a faint dark ring halfway down the barrel. Using a bright light down the external side of the barrel I can barely detect a slight bulge. Not something easily seen. You really have to work at it to see it.
Someone obviously suffered a squib, Ruger makes tough guns, but this must have been a nasty squib to do this kind of damage. Nothing that money can’t fix. Turning out to not be such a good deal.
I’ll post Rugers diagnosis
Perhap's it's not as bad as you think ... every now and then the bulge is so slight that even if noticable to the eye it still shoots acceptably .
Don't spend any money untill you shoot it .
I hope Ruger comes through and can repair it at little or no cost to you .
Good luck ,
Gary

1 - 19 of 19 Posts