Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
SP101 Barrel Pointing to the Right: Now I'm Really Pissed!!!

Not sure if this is the right forum to post this in, but...

I recently purchased a brand new SP101 w/ 2.25" barrel.

I gave it a thorough once over at the shop and took it home since there were no obvious imperfections with it. I've had it for a couple weeks now and during my dry-fire sessions I've noticed something is definitely wrong with the FRAME.

At first, I thought it was a case of an over-tightened or under-tightened barrel, but this is not the case. After looking at it for several days I realized that the frame was threaded to accept the barrel at an angle causing the barrel to point slightly to the right. The barrel itself is perfectly set. It's neither overly tightened nor underly tightened, but it does point off center to the right.

Here's a diagram I drew to help explicate what's going on:

My concern is that since the barrel actually points off the center axis line, POI will always be to the right of POA.

After a lot of inspection I can now see that the line where the frame meets the barrel is not perpendicular to the center line axis of the weapon. This is a frame issue.

The store where I purchased it will not accept a refund or exchange.

What should be my next course of action?

Will Ruger replace a serialized frame?

Has anyone here had their frame replaced/repaired?

Has anyone else seen this issue?

IMO, this issue with my particular frame occurred during the initial casting process. Wax molds can be easily bent or damaged before the molten steel is poured, causing any deficiency to be immediately transferred to the cast steel.

Great little gun BTW. It's definitely my favorite small-frame revolver.

Thanks.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Monday morning call Ruger CS and tell them you have a bent frame. They will send you a pre-paid shipping label and you will ship them the gun. They'll look at it and based on your description of the problem likely replace the gun with a new one. This will ship to an FFL you select since it has a different serial number and you may have to pay a transfer fee. Others in the same situation have been able to get Ruger to reimburse them the transfer fee as well.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Could it be an "optical illusion"? Have you shot it and confirmed it actually shoots to the right?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Could it be an "optical illusion"? Have you shot it and confirmed it actually shoots to the right?
You'd hope so, but sometimes there's a mis-manufacture. A couple years ago I got a 2 1/2" fixed bbl Dan Wesson. The rear sight was mis-machined from the factory. It had been heavily carried, but (I'll bet) very lightly fired, because it shot 2 1/4" to the right at 7 yd.

Between the time of manufacture and the time I got it (from my favorite pawn shop), Dan Wesson had gone thru several generations of change. They would fix the gun, but wanted 'way more than I paid to do the work.

It took a fine file, and an afternoon at the range to get it "sighted-in". It was good-to-go then. But I'd expect the manufacturer to make-good on a fairly new gun. Ruger replaced the trigger on my LCR when I wore it out.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I had a SP101 in .327 Fed Mag and something wasn't right with it, I was a lot newer to handguns then. I called Ruger and they had me send it in. Sure enough they ended up replacing the barrel because it was bent. After it came back it shot great and I but many rounds through her. Now she resides at my in-laws, hoping one day to bring her back home ...

Ruger has great CS and I am sure they will fix it or send you a new one. They always explain what the problem was and what they did to correct the issue.

·
Registered
Hirschjäger
842 Posts
Didn't know Ruger offered a krummlauf option.

:D

Definitely contact Ruger. They'll make it right.

Aqualung

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Look at the part number on the box.

Does it have an 'R' appended to it? Sometimes it's written in with a pen.

·
Banned
650 Posts
If you do not want to have the gun fixed I would take the gun back. When a gun shop sells you a gun with an obvious defect they are obligated by law to take the gun back. They represented the gun as being in new condition. The gun shop should have pointed out the barrel being bent. That is a second, not a new gun. You can take the gun shop to small claims court and sue for the cost of the gun and punitive damages. Putting up a sign does not put a business above the law They are obligated by law to reveal that the gun is a second.

That is just like putting up a at your own risk sign or having you sign a paper does not protect a business from claims of negligence. The business is still required to provide/require safety equipment. They are also required to keep everything in good repair. A family just won millions because a ride operator disabled the safety equipment. The ride operator had a big sign up saying ride at your own risk.

If you want to have Ruger repair or replace the gun. Ruger will do so at no cost to you. If you choose to have Ruger repair the gun I would mention the policies of the LGS. Mentioning the company policy will not help your situation. But you may save another customer some grief.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Yah good luck with that LGS stuff. Sounds like the gun was in new condition but possibly defective. The OP didn't even notice the potential issue until several weeks had gone by. No LGS I know of would take back that gun. Every LGS I know of works like this. Same as car dealerships. You may not like it but that's the way it is.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Not to hijack the thread, but how did you wear out your LCR's trigger. Maybe I better not do that. :p
3000 (+) rds thru a tupperware gun :) Ruger replaced the trigger, and sent the gun back -- should be good for another 3000 rds. 'Couldn't ask for better service.

P.S. 'Apologies to all... This would have been a private message, but I haven't learned how yet.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Just a note, sometimes the LGS is not legally allowed to accept returns. In other cases, it's an insurance issue. In most cases it's just policy, but it's a valid one.

Jeff

·
Banned
650 Posts
There is an LGS is my town that is a dealer for Davidsons Gallery of Guns. The big selling point of Davidsons is you get a lifetime warranty on any gun you buy. All you have to do is return the gun to the place of purchase. I ordered a Kel Tec 380 that was a regular POS. The LGS refused to assist me. Davidsons took over the warranty issue and stopped supplying guns to the LGS. I do not go there any more. They talk **** when I see them around town. I simply tell them you cannot make up your own rules. And I tell everyone what a POS they are even when they are standing there.

·
Banned
650 Posts
A LGS was a dealer for Davidsons Gallery of Guns. The big selling point of Davidsons is any gun you buy from them has a lifetime warranty. All you have to do is return the gun to any Davidsons dealer and they will have the gun repaired or replaced. I bought a Kel Tec that was a real POS. The LGS said I was on my own. Davidsons took over the warranty work. Davidsons refunded my money. The LGS is no longer able to sell guns through Davidsons. Davidsons is one of the largest distributors in the USA.

The people at the LGS talk about me. I don't care. You can't hang up a poster in your shop that says one thing and then refuse to do it.

Another type of protection he has is the buyers protection on his credit card. If you buy something defective your credit card company will replace the item or refund his money. He has to file a complaint in less than six months from the date of purchase.

I buy all my new guns with a credit card. The piece of mind is worth 3% and it is getting to the point that Buds is about the only place that charges 3%. Buds used to have great prices but they are not so cheap anymore. I can either get the same gun for less or a nicer model of the same gun for Buds price. I found the same gun way cheaper from someone other than buds on the last 3 guns I purchased. I got my M&P22 for over $100 cheaper than Buds price and no credit card fee.

·
Registered
173 Posts
That is a truly interesting variation on the usual barrel issue. Typically the barrels are not correctly oriented, making the front sight "lean" to the right. Every DA revolver has a dremel groove ground between the frame and the barrel in order to let the cylinder close on an incorrectly fit barrel. But in this case it sounds like the barrel was cross-threaded onto the frame. I don't see how that problem could be fixed. They will probably have to exchange it.

Eor

1 - 20 of 35 Posts