Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shot about 75 rounds of Mag Tech 38 Special + P, 158 grain ammo through my SP101 Novak this evening and after about the 1st 25 rounds, I noticed it was getting difficult to eject the spent casings. As the evening went on, it became more difficult to get the spent casings out. I brought the revolver home and cleaned it really good and attempted to put some of the spent brass back in the cylinder. The brass would start into a hole or two and would not go in, and a couple of holes it would not go into at all. I got my GP100 out and the spent casings went into the cylinder easily and ejected easily. This was the 2nd range trip with the gun and I didn't notice it on that trip, but I also only shot about 25 rounds that time. I've never experienced this before, is there an issue with the cylinder in my revolver? I've used Mag Tech ammo in other firearms and never had an issue, what can I check on the ammunition to see if there is an issue with it? Thank you in advance for any replies.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I had a simular problem with my GP100 MC. I shot some of my 357 Mag reloads and I had difficulty extracting the empty cases from the cylinder. I then shoot some MagTech 158 gr e57 Mag and had the same problem. 38 Sol rounds extracted witout difficulty. It took two trips to the Ruger service department to get the problem resolved. Only when they shot MagTech ammo did they realize they had a problem. A new cylinder and crane fixed the problem. When you talked to the service tech mention the type of ammo. They had to order the ammo.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I had the same issue today with my new sp101 327 mag. Not attempting to hijack your thread just seems maybe someone can weigh in on this for us

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Shoot any revolver long enough and you're going to develop sticky extraction. Especially with dirty ammo. Not much experience with MagTech ammo, but I'd try a different brand and see if sticky extraction occurs again after a short range session.
Be sure to clean the crud ring from inside each chamber and don't forget to scrub under the ejector star. All will help with smooth extraction.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Shoot any revolver long enough and you're going to develop sticky extraction. Especially with dirty ammo. Not much experience with MagTech ammo, but I'd try a different brand and see if sticky extraction occurs again after a short range session.
Be sure to clean the crud ring from inside each chamber and don't forget to scrub under the ejector star. All will help with smooth extraction.
+1

There are MANY threads about the rings that 38 and 357 ammo leave behind in the cylinders. One of the 'have to' things about those guns is to seriously use a brush with a dedicated cleaner (Hoppes) to get them *clean*.

I've shot a fair amount of Magtech ammo and it's OK stuff but price is price.

I'd go crazy on the cleaning before I'd get on Ruger's back.

·
Registered
805 Posts
I would clean it real good and try another brand before going to Ruger with the problem. I have this happen sometimes too but in my case a good cleaning has always worked. Some revolvers need it more often than others.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Had the .22 version and same problem. The SP101 line is seriously flawed. See my comment on the other SP101 .22 thread.

·
Administrator
22,163 Posts
Sticky extraction can be from accumulation of crud or from too much pressure from that load for your firearm or even both (crud builds pressure). Every firearm is different and some will show pressure with a load whereas others won't. I have had handguns show pressure with a DEWC load with a very modest powder charge. Others would shoot it no problem, this one revolver had a problem. The SP101 line has been in production since the 1980's and is a great revolver. Mine has thousands of rounds down range without any flaws.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
You might also want to get a digital micrometer or have a gunsmith check the chambers. I have read about cases where the tooling used at the plant to cut the cylinders wears out over time and if quality control is not on top if it you can get chambers which are every so slightly smaller diameter than they are supposed to be. This could also explain the difficulty putting the spent brass back into the chambers - if one or more of them are not cut properly - then the fire formed brass for a given chamber may only fit back into the same one it came out of.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
If the problem has been associated only with Magtech ammo, then the brass is suspect for being soft or thin and ballooning without elastic recovery.

In any case, I keep a bronze brush cleaning tool in my range bag, mostly for dirty powder or incomplete ignition. After maybe two cylinders, if I notice any binding, I run the brush through the chambers and am good to go. I think a snug fit is an asset, as long as the brass will extract without too much coaxing.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I had the same issue today with my new sp101 327 mag. Not attempting to hijack your thread just seems maybe someone can weigh in on this for us
I bought a finishing reamer for my Single Seven. Ruger wouldn't work on it, because they don't make the cylinders and had none left. They wouldn't assign it to repair, which was probably over booked and may not have had a reamer anyway. It took 10 weeks and over $100 to get the reamer. Solved the problem with only trace shavings, mostly in one chamber.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Both of my 480 Super Redhawks (one of which is an Alaskan made in 2014) have sticky extraction no matter which brand of ammo I use.

The only thing I can conclude, is that enough heat and pressure will make any case stick in any chamber, regardless of how smooth and polished it might be.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Both of my 480 Super Redhawks (one of which is an Alaskan made in 2014) have sticky extraction no matter which brand of ammo I use.

The only thing I can conclude, is that enough heat and pressure will make any case stick in any chamber, regardless of how smooth and polished it might be.
Sticky and stuck are matters of degree. My issue would be when reasonable force on the extractor will not dislodge the case.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I did as Spike 12 suggested and recleaned the holes in the cylinder and the bore with a dedicated bore cleaner with no improvement in results. I took the revolver along with some of the brass to the lgs where I purchased it and the owner looked it over as well as a patron of the shop. The conclusion was reached that both the ammo and the revolver had some deficiencies that caused the issue. I hadn't noticed the scarring in the sides of the brass which both of them said was from cheap brass. There was no scarring or debris in the cylinder holes, but the shop owner noticed that the cylinder wobbled when turned which verified my complaint of the cylinder contacting the frame at times. So, needless to say, I left my SP101 at the lgs and he will get it sent in for me. Thank you to everyone who responded and I'll provide an update when I get it back.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
If you're shooting the shorter 38s in your 357 I think you can expect some residue buildup that will effect the extraction. I have an LCR 22WMR that has issues with the bulk CCI rounds, (C'Shoot'em) but the other CCI's are just fine so it's probably like other said just a combo of residue and ammo brand.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I usually have a few sticky cases in mine too. Usually after shooting allot. I shoot either Winchester, Remington, or Federal and seem to have the issues with Winchester the most. After cleaning the cylinder the problem goes away. Like others, I'd suggest a good cleaning. Try other manufacturers also.

·
Registered
11 Posts
New out of the box my SP101 .327 wouldn't extract any 32H&R or .327 cases. There was no build up of crud. Sent it back to Ruger and they fixed it.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
New out of the box my SP101 .327 wouldn't extract any 32H&R or .327 cases. There was no build up of crud. Sent it back to Ruger and they fixed it.
That happy ending is because of the model, which is still in production at least in terms of the replacement cylinders. I don't expect that they reamed the one you had. The current guns are 4" rather than the old 3", but the cylinders I expect would be common.

The reason I don't think they fixed your cylinder is because they will replace parts but not book new work for the gunsmiths. That speculative conclusion seemed very apparent to me in multiple encounters with Ruger fixing almost every gun of theirs that I bought, all cylinder related.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts