Ruger Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a used SP101 today. All the usual mechanical checks (timing, lockup, etc.) were fine, so I didn't notice this until I got home and started cleaning. There is a small chip (or something like one) on the outer edge of the forcing cone around 8 o' clock.

Thoughts? Should I get in touch with Ruger, or is this nothing to worry about?

Grille Hood Bumper Carbon Automotive exterior

Automotive tire Carbon Material property Synthetic rubber Rim

Automotive design Art Plant Tints and shades Petal

·
Registered
356 Posts
My OCD could not handle that!
The master gunner in me says; no issue for function as it's external, and has no touch point/reason to worsen.

I would detail search the cylinder and see if there's a "reason" or explanation.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Probably fine……….but…
Maybe it’s the pic? But at around 6pm in the second image, looks like there is another little chip missing, this one goes to the inside edge of the FC. Again, probably nothing, but it might be worth looking into.
As noted, maybe there is something happening with the cylinder, etc.

·
Registered
4,736 Posts
It would bother me too. A significant nick in a solid material, like steel, is where a crack would start. I've seen a few cracked forcing cones.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Shouldn't be a problem unless you have OCD.
I actually do have officially diagnosed OCD 😆.

I found a couple old threads here. They both have similar marks in the same locations (albeit with GP100s).

In one, the OP sent it in and the barrel was replaced.

In the other, the OP heard the following from Ruger:

Talked with another Ruger rep today at the NH office. He mentioned that the chip is due to the cylinder hitting the forcing cone when I close the cylinder/crane. He mentioned several of his revolvers has the same thing at the 6-8 o'clock position. A small sort of chip on the left side in that position due to contact with the barrel closing. He said as long as I'm not having gasses, flames or fragments seem to be exiting at that area it should be okay.

While further investigating my SP101, I found that the chip appears to line up perfectly with the edge of the fluting in the cylinder, which appears to coincide with what the Ruger rep told the OP of the other thread.

Automotive tire Automotive exterior Rim Automotive design Bumper

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
If it bothered me I would simply take it to a gunsmith and have the forcing cone cut or re-cut ... Ruger didn't put much of a cone on that bbl did they ...then have him touch the Chip or nick up with a stone so it looks better .
I like to have just a little more forcing cone angle than I see on that barrel ...but I'm old school !
Gary

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've decided to ignore it for now since it's on the outer edge and I don't see anything else in the area that looks concerning.

If it bothered me I would simply take it to a gunsmith and have the forcing cone cut or re-cut ... Ruger didn't put much of a cone on that bbl did they ...then have him touch the Chip or nick up with a stone so it looks better .
I like to have just a little more forcing cone angle than I see on that barrel ...but I'm old school !
Gary
I'm pretty much a complete newbie when it comes to revolvers, so a lot of this stuff is Greek to me. My research indicates Ruger uses 5 degree cones since they anticipate jacked projectiles. Since I got this as a defensive firearm (and to have a "real" revolver since my others are NAA) it sounds like it probably won't be an issue for me. All my ammo is jacketed at any rate.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts