Ruger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a model 05771 SP101 that has a problem. The cylinder ceases to turn when fired slowly in DA. Pulling the trigger fast and hard, no problem.

I'm not a gunsmith, but I've managed to keep my stuff going. Does this sound like a simple part change?

·
Registered
555 Posts
Does it happen when dry firing and live fire? Is the gun new? A little more info would help. The first thing I'd do is give the area under the ejector star a good brushing. I had a similar issue with my sp101 model 5720 which turned out to be the hammer dog. When pulling the trigger slowly it would get back about 1/2" and then stop and additional force was needed to cycle. This was a new to me SP that the seller only had about 2 months and may have left the factory that way. Ruger fixed it no charge.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The revolver shipped in 2016. It is absolutely and amazingly clean. I traded for it and the problem has steadily grown worse. When the cylinder stops, the cylinder has to be manually turned (forward or backward). Ruger says it's over two years old and the shipping charges will be on me. If it's over 30 bucks, I'm to let Ruger know and they will send me a label, for $30 dollars. There was no mention of charges for the repair. I'm no gunsmith, but it's not the pawl. With the hammer out, it works when triggered in slow motion, or as fast as I can pull the trigger.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,364 Posts
Sounds like a defective hammer dog to me.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think I recall reading that the hammer dog is a fitted part, therefore not available for purchase? If it is the hammer dog, this is the first time I've been burned buying a previously owned firearm. It sure is pretty though.

Attachments

·
Banned
292 Posts
I think I recall reading that the hammer dog is a fitted part, therefore not available for purchase? If it is the hammer dog, this is the first time I've been burned buying a previously owned firearm. It sure is pretty though.
I'll give ya a hunnert bucks for it. :)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@Rover, I've ordered a couple of them.
I've read that slightly peening the hammer dog might work?

@Bullit68, Thanks for your offer! But, "a hunnert bucks" won't quite spur any interest in selling it.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
The binding or hump in DA pull can come where the cocking of the hammer transitions from the hammer dog to the double action sear. Reshaping of the hammer dog may work depending on the current shape or using a different one with a slightly different shape may work. Somewhere on the forum there is or was a video showing the interaction of the parts (hammer, hammer dog, trigger) in double action.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Problem solved. Don't know exactly what fixed it. Seemed the cylinder latch button might have been the culprit? Squirted a lot of Ballistol into the frame, screwed the cylinder latch button screw tight, and then pulled the cylinder latch button out as far as it would go, a few times.

Then again, maybe it works because I sang Ram-a-Lam-Ding Dong while reassembling it?
Anyhow, it's now slicker than snot on a linoleum rug. Me be pleased?

·
Grand Inquisitor
1,788 Posts
Problem solved. Don't know exactly what fixed it. Seemed the cylinder latch button might have been the culprit? Squirted a lot of Ballistol into the frame, screwed the cylinder latch button screw tight, and then pulled the cylinder latch button out as far as it would go, a few times.
I had some trouble with the cylinder latch on my GP100, when I first began reloading .357 mags. Just enough unburned powder was getting under the star and binding up the cylinder. Sometimes the cylinder latch would not activate.

Now with a better load, it always works and the gun stays clean. Were you shooting reloads? Any unburned powder residue in the gun?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts