Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had cause to re-install the cylinder lock on my sp101. Now, it's not moving when I pull the trigger. Cylinder remains locked.
I see only one way to install this part..hard to get it wrong but, I guess I did.
Any idea as to whats wrong?
Thanks,
xring

·
Registered
39 Posts
You need to try and contact lowegan here on the forum. He's a retired moderator and gunsmith here on the forum.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,693 Posts
I just deleted your last two posts because they are just a quote from your first post. We don't do "bump to top" on this forum.

I'm assuming you meant "cylinder latch" instead of "lock". The cylinder latch (part #5 in this schematic: SP101 | Top Rated Supplier of Firearm Reloading Equipment, Supplies, and Tools - Colt (brownells.com) ) is activated (pulled down) when the trigger is pulled or the hammer is cocked. There is a spring and plunger (parts #7 & 31) that put tension on the cylinder latch. The part that actually activates the latch is "trigger plunger". part # 47. The trigger plunger looks like half an arrowhead and is positioned with spring tension from plunger part #4 and spring #7 in the schematic and held in place by the pawl (part #30). If the spring, plunger, or trigger plunger is missing, the cylinder latch won't work. Also, if the plunger # 31 was swapped with plunger #4, the cylinder latch won't work. This is the most likely problem.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lowegan your explanation is great. The pawl plunger and spring aren't installed, still trying to find them.
Once all parts are installed, I'm sure it'll work.
Thanks for the education.
Bill thanks for your help I appreciate it.

·
16,693 Posts
Those little springs and plungers like to launch when you take things apart. Sometimes a magnet is the best tool in your tool kit.

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
Those little springs and plungers like to launch when you take things apart. Sometimes a magnet is the best tool in your tool kit.

or taking things apart in a great big plastic bag

·
16,693 Posts
eastman, Yes, a plastic bag works but I usually don't think of it until AFTER a part launches. I am totally inept when it come to working inside a plastic bag.

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
eastman, Yes, a plastic bag works but I usually don't think of it until AFTER a part launches. I am totally inept when it come to working inside a plastic bag.
then one of the big magnetized parts bowls is an option to consider

1 - 10 of 10 Posts