Ruger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of days ago, I came across the first used .357/.38 sp101 for less than $400 after several months of looking. New ones go for $450-$480. I paid $328, including tax and transfer. Now I have a match for the 4 inch .22 sp101 that I picked up a few months ago.

My 4 inch shoots like a dream and is very accurate. My .357, I can't hit an 8 inch square at 25 feet. Trigger pull feels and stacks about the same. :-( Practice...Practice...practice. :-(

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
If you are wondering if it's you or the gun, sit down at a bench and fire off a handful with s/a trigger using sandbags. You should have a decent group, just remember the SP101 in 357 mag IS NOT a target gun. It's a purpose built platform for self defense. You should be practicing for situations you might encounter with the BGs. Target at 3yds, 7yds, 10 yds. standing strong hand etc. It's a fun gun and most can be tweeked to be pretty accurate, especially out to the 25 feet you are using.
Maybe we need to get EddieF to start a SP101 target challenge------
Glad you finally have your SP, I love to shoot the little thing.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was using 125 grn .357 commercial reloads. I doubt it was the ammo and I did bench rest. Last night I was dry firing it a bit and noticed that I was holding it "cockeyed" in my hand to get the full joint of my index finger around the trigger. I'll give it another try this weekend.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
I was using 125 grn .357 commercial reloads. I doubt it was the ammo and I did bench rest. Last night I was dry firing it a bit and noticed that I was holding it "cockeyed" in my hand to get the full joint of my index finger around the trigger. I'll give it another try this weekend.
I noticed right away that I hold my SP101 different than I do my GP100. I shoot the GP much better because of the size. I keep the SP range work close and shoot much further out with my GP.

Also I believe that the guns are sighted using 158 grain bullets. That'll throw you off a little too.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
It's different, but I'm sure you'll master it...if you can hit well with one...you'll learn the feel of the other one...you'll be braggin' before you know it!!!

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
try standard 38 spl for a while. Will help to calm the nerves a bit compared to the 357.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I recommend snap caps, good ones like azooms. I load them into every new gun I buy, then dryfire until the sights don't wobble. I did that with my DAO sp101 and got decent groupings on my first target session; I even found that the gun was more accurate with magnums than with specials. They're also a good way of curing a flinch. (The snap caps, not the magnums.)

·
Super Moderator
22,049 Posts
I practice with my SP in 357 at 25 yards mostly bagged or supported against a 4x4 post and find that 7 yards off hand becomes relatively easy. I'll go back and forth and also do some rapid fire drills at 5 to 7 yards which I am just trying to get torso hits. It is a carry gun and although it is probably just as accurate as my GP, in my hands and with 60 year old eyes the short BBL isn't. It doesn't need to be perfect just good enough.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I have read that in several different places...

That they sight'em using 158gr loads...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Use the pad of your finger always....if you use the joint,
when you pull the trigger, you'll pull the gun off target cause your not pulling the trigger strait back

using the pad of your finger will help you to pull the trigger strait

http://youtube.com/watch?v=-Yohikhl9_c

minute 2:45 in that video says it all

when he talks about "7 o'clock push"....i'm guilty

practice practice practice

·
Registered
236 Posts
Great video Gut_PiLe! That's the way I was trained way back when as well. I just recently bought a SP101 2" bbl. in .357 caliber. First outting it shot excellent; two handed stance, square to the target, single action. Shot two factory loads, Speer Gold Dots & Cor Bons, both 125 gr. HP's. Here's the results at 7 yards, first 4-round groups:

Subsequent groups got a bit wider - more me than the gun. Followed the .357's with .38 Spec. loads, with RNL 158 gr. bullets. They shot a bit wider groups and lower. But nothing, including some .38+P's, was out of COM area. So the gun does shoot just fine. I hope it's not a defect in your particular piece?

·
Registered
540 Posts
Put a random placed empty or two in the cylinder along with regular loads, give it a little spin, wait til it stops, and close it without peeking. You'll find out fast if you're flinching or not when you hit the empties.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I took mine out for the first range trip last week. I was throwing 3-4" 5 shot groups at 15 yds double action. Two hand unsupported. I was shooting 125 gr. Remington UMC JSP's as it was the cheapest .357 mag ammo I could find. It was dead on with the sights for me. Using 125 gr. FMJ .38's I was shooting 3 or 4" lower.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I found my DAO SP101 is ammo sensitive. Winchester 125gr won't shoot but 6 inches at 25 yds, but Rem UMC has been the best for me with consistent three inch and under groups at 25 yds off a rest. And the lighter bullets have shot low for me. Lister.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Was back at the range yesterday with mine shooting Rem UMC 125 JHP's (rather than the JSP's I shot the first trip) and they were shooting about 5 inches low at 15 yds. JSP's are right on. JHP's low. Still good groups, but low.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts