Ruger Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally, the distributor sent the one I ordered, .357, spurless, with CTgrips.

Range Conditions: Overcast 77 degrees, SSW wind running 16 to 25 kts.

Accuracy: Pleasantly surprised. At 25 yards I could not see any difference between the SP and my 6" Python. I had read here and on other forums peoples comments extolling the accuracy of this gun, I just didn't expect it to be that good. Whether off the bench or off-hand this sucker's right on there.

Recoil: The .38's were a joy to shoot, but did produce the widest groups target shooting (8" Shoot-NC,s). I didn't have anything but Winchester 130 grain .38's. I'll look around for some different loads to try. Now the .357's, definitely not "3/50 heavens", more like "devil dogs". They stung! I had Winchester 125 grain FMJPF and 125 Remington FMJHHP, didn't see much difference between these two accuracy wise, but the groups were a lot tighter. Maybe it's the CT grips as opposed to the Ruger grips or simply my affinity for the Python, but the .357's weren't "fun" rounds.

Defensive shooting: On my USPSA/IPSC practice targets firing double taps at 15 and 30 feet, the .357's were grouping nicely despite the recoil, but the .38's produced tighter groups here. One handed hip shots were low but on the paper (my HK's are usually pretty much center of mass). Range got crowded so I didn't get a chance to try weak hand and there was too much sunlight to work with the laser. I was only able to determine the CTG was "close enough". Yes, I would trust the "dot" at what is usually referred to as "typical" distance, but would like to refine it a little. No surgical head shots to save the hostage for now. What was that movie where the guy took out the perp by shooting through his partner? That would really probably result in an unpleasant lawsuit i real life.

Disappointments: A few. I wasn't quite expecting so much "sting" with the .357's. Also, I had some unexpected difficulty with (not sure what to call it), trigger lock, hammer lock? Four times the hammer failed to drop after firing the first round. No more travel on the trigger, it simply hung there. On release of the trigger, no discharge, but failure to cycle to the next round until I opened the gun and returned the cylinder to battery. This was only the .357's, the .38's ran fine both before and after the .357's. I didn't have the presence of mind to try and eliminate the Winchesters or the Remingtons.
The Remington rounds are a little taller, but I was ultimately able to cycle and fire all of them. Oh, and last of all, I thought SS would be easy to clean, I swear I'm not OCD, but I'm finding all kinds of nooks and crannies to clean. I'm going to have to break this down and Flitz the whole gun.

Overall: I like it. I will be carrying it in appropriate situations (I hold a CCW) there are a number of situations where the SP is more concealable than my HK P2000sk. Any concern I had about it being DAO has been erased (going to monitor the trigger bind issue though). Otherwise, I love the way the trigger stages, never could do that with the Python. Given the recoil, I will be looking at some .38 +P's to try.

But my go to house gun, in it's convenient hidey-hole, will still be my HK USP .45 with Beamshot flashlight/green laser and 20 round Promag magazine :p:p

·
Registered
335 Posts
Sounds like a Shooting Gun...<:))
~38spl ammo less than 125gn~ The longer the bullet, the better for accuracy. It seems as though the shorter bullets slam into the forcing cone and get a bit deformed before entering the barrel. 158's shoot the best and are less prone to tumbling or keyholing...

Buy a Box of these, and compare... They are like Little Jewles, with better Performance...!!! I would say you probably won't even finish shooting them Remington's, and give them to somebody you don't Like...<:))

Fiocchi Shooting Dynamics Pistol Ammunition 38G, 38 Special, Full Metal Jacket, 158 GR, 930 fps, 50 Rd/bx $14.48
http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=89474

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
good report. i really like the ole'38 spl and still think highly of it. Agree that the grips cause a difference in felt recoil. I like the old style grips ruger use to put on them.

Movies off the top of my head as you describe are "speed" and "die another day"

·
Registered
32 Posts
Nicely done, it's unbelievable how accurate these are. Mine shoots the same groups as my Les Baer for me, but that's limited by old eye balls. Let us know if the hammer fall is do to ammo or something sinister. Thanks, Lister.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I concur with SgtKnuckles on the 158s. I just wish they were easier to find in my neck-of-the-woods. Definately interested in a report when you put a box of +Ps through.

·
Registered
239 Posts
The Sp-101's are great shooters i do find the little guns to be a tad bit wild with full power 357's

·
Registered
244 Posts
mid-range .357's are pussycats in mine. Hot .357's are, well, HOT! Try some different brands. I locked my Speed-six up once while dry firing. Think I short stroked it; never really did figure it out cause I was never able to duplicate it!

Bob

·
Registered
15 Posts
Overall: I like it. I will be carrying it in appropriate situations (I hold a CCW) there are a number of situations where the SP is more concealable than my HK P2000sk. Any concern I had about it being DAO has been erased (going to monitor the trigger bind issue though). Otherwise, I love the way the trigger stages, never could do that with the Python. Given the recoil, I will be looking at some .38 +P's to try.
We have alot in common, I just got back from the range shooting 158 grain Wolf in 357, man they hurt! They make the gun buck 3X more than the 130 grain Winchester 38 spl's. My buddies were crackin up everytime I pulled the trigger. I'm appling for my CCW, I've been looking at the HK P2000sk, how do you like that gun? I was considering the SP to be my primary CCW and just get full size HK for the range, but whats the ratio that you'd be carring the HK vs. the SP101?

Buy a Box of these, and compare... They are like Little Jewles, with better Performance...!!!
Are those Fiocchi's .38 spls longer bullets?

·
Registered
361 Posts
I shot Magnums thru my SP101 and went out and bought the soft rubber Hogue Monogrip the next day. Only about $20-$25. Not quite as concealable, but they're working out fine for me as my everyday carry setup. Got 'em for my GP100 too (I wish there was a more compact version for the GP100!).

With the Hogues I shoot any kind of fire-breathing round in comfort, with the only problem being complaints from the peanut gallery about the noise level.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I am glad you like yours. I just bought one on Friday, but it needed some attention from Ruger Customer service. It just got picked up about 2 hours ago for its trip to NH.

I can't wait to get mine back from Ruger, so I can get a little range time in with it.

·
Administrator
22,681 Posts
I am glad you like yours. I just bought one on Friday, but it needed some attention from Ruger Customer service. It just got picked up about 2 hours ago for its trip to NH.

I can't wait to get mine back from Ruger, so I can get a little range time in with it.
Let us know how you make out.

When I first got mine it cycled very hard and it was difficult cocking to S/A. I dry fired it for a couple of hundred rounds and it started to smooth out and now it is fine. Not as sweet as my GP by fine for a carry piece.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I put my SP101 in the middle of the pack on accuracy at the range. My Colt Python and Colt 1911 are much more accrate, my Beraetta 92FS is a little better, but it beats my Kahr K9 and CW9 hands down.

·
Registered
52 Posts
My SP101 tonight was amazing with Remington 125gr JSP's. Furious muzzle flash, but very good accuracy!(I prefer to fire SA). I also ran some FMJ .38's mostly double action. This is one fun little revolver! It has probably a few thousand rounds through it, but it does NOT miss a beat! I've easily put 4-500 through it since late August when I bought it off a friend. :D:D

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
~38spl ammo less than 125gn~ The longer the bullet, the better for accuracy. It seems as though the shorter bullets slam into the forcing cone and get a bit deformed before entering the barrel. 158's shoot the best and are less prone to tumbling or keyholing...
SNIP---------------->

Fiocchi Shooting Dynamics Pistol Ammunition 38G, 38 Special, Full Metal Jacket, 158 GR, 930 fps, 50 Rd/bx $14.48
http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=89474
Thanks for the tips Sarge.
-Bruce

·
Registered
29 Posts
It's kind of overwhelming with all the great reading material here. Seems to me i read somewhere here that there is a preferred ammo for getting an SP101 to shoot point of aim. Anybody experience this?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts