Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been carrying a Shield 40 or a Glock 19 for some time now. I am happy with the conceal-ability of the Shield but not the Glock. I have decided to go with SP101. But the barrel length is a question. I need advice from those of you who know. What are your recommendations for concealment and comfort with inside waistband carry? Thanks.

·
Registered
365 Posts
IMO if you are going to use as a carry gun the #5720 DAO is the ONLY way to go. No snag draw. The DAO removes a liability factor in the event of an incident. The trigger is very good on mine. I must have gone through 20 guns searching for the "right one". My search ended when I found the SP.

I feel so strongly about this setup I had Ruger do the same to my 9mm.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I carry the 2.25 OWB or a shoulder rig. I've never carried the 3 but I can't imagine the difference would very noticeable. I had Hogue rosewood grips in this photo but I felt they were a little too big, so I went with Pachmayr compact rubber grips. It's a great choice for CC. You'll be happy.

Attachments

·
Registered
995 Posts
I have the 2.25" and the 3". Both carry well in an Aliengear Tuck 2.0 IWB holster. I cant really tell the difference between the two while holstered.

·
Registered
323 Posts
You will never notice the extra 3/4" inch of the 3" barrel over its shorter brother with IWB carry. The 3" gives you better balance, higher velocity, better recoil control, quicker shot-to-shot recovery and a longer sight radius. The 2 1/4" gun does fit a pants pocket better but that is its only advantage.

Best Regards,
ADP3

·
Super Moderator
21,692 Posts
I have the 2 1/4" and pocket carried it for a few years. Whichever you decide on shoot it often.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
I have owned both the 2" and the 3" in 357. I traded away the 3" because I didnt see any advantage to the longer barrel. Both shot perfectly to point of aim, and recoil felt the same. Since my 2" is DAO, and spurless, I kept it, and its a great little revolver.

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
I have both, I carry the 2.25 and I use the 3" for the range.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the great input guys. Ringo brings up a good point. Let's say you carry the snubby. What grips are you using? I was planning on the Hogue tamer. Is that a bad printing grip? Maybe for defensive use the standard is best but the tamer is best for range practice. Thoughts?

·
Registered
323 Posts
The Hogue Grip is on the large side and on the rubber version fabric tends to cling and sometimes reveals your gun if you are carrying IWB. Hogue makes a versions of their grips in hard nylon. They don't cling to fabric like the rubber version, but the rubber version takes the sting out of recoil better than the nylon ones.. The Hogues are too large for pocket carry unless you wear cargo pants or overalls. Badger makes an excellent boot grip for concealed carry.

Best Regards,
ADP3

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
My vote is for the snub. I carry the 2 1/4" and it handles, shoots, and carries well.

·
Registered
78 Posts
You will never notice the extra 3/4" inch of the 3" barrel over its shorter brother with IWB carry. The 3" gives you better balance, higher velocity, better recoil control, quicker shot-to-shot recovery and a longer sight radius. The 2 1/4" gun does fit a pants pocket better but that is its only advantage.

Best Regards,
ADP3
+1 on this i would get the 3" and i did also the 2 1/4" is not a pocket gun
if your looking for a sweet little pocket gun look at a Sig P938 as far as carry
guns go for IWB you would be better off with a flat single stack just my 0.02

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
I'll vote for the snub DAP, imdont carry it, but own one and love it.

·
Super Moderator
21,692 Posts
I like the insert grips but with shoulder surgery and having to use the off hand (if a sd event had arisen) for a few months I got a set of CT laser grips. I left them on the SP but like the inserts better. Never had an issue with the rubber grabbing. When I pocket carried the hand was on the grip when I drew from the pocket.

·
Registered
400 Posts
SP101 2" hands down, this can also be a fun target gun as well . I also have an LCR357, I carry either weight is not that much different. I have an LC9 and Glock 26, but 9 times out of 10 I carry the LCR or SP101.

·
Registered
4 Posts

This is my preference for ccw. meprolight front sight and self bobbed hammer, still have single action capability. I would not mind a 3' with a hammer for a woods gun,

1 - 20 of 32 Posts