Ruger Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK - I admit it.
I was respouting something I saw on a forum as truth.

I'm hangin my head in shame.

I used to say that the SP101 was too heavy for CCW.
Well, I'm telling all THAT"S JUST WRONG!!!!!

I went to the range recently with several guns.
A Kel-tec PF9, a S&W Model 38, & a 2.25" SP101.

At the end of my fun, all I had left was 5 .357 Magnum rounds.
So I carried my SP101 in my pocket holster.

It was NOT too heavy & infact, I forgot I had it.
So don't let anyone, including me, tell you that the SP101 is too heavy.
Maybe with sweatpants, but if you wear a belt or a set of suspenders, it works.
(or at least it does for me).

Please try it out for yourself.
Just my 2¢ worth.

· Registered
1,382 Posts
I used to say that the SP101 was too heavy for CCW.
Well, I'm telling all THAT"S JUST WRONG!!!!!
I have three small frame revolvers. A M637 Airweight, a 3" M36, and a 4" SP101.

In holsters of similar design, the differences are small. In a pocket, the M37 takes up less room, without a doubt. In an inside the pants holster, the longer SP101 is not as comfortable sitting or bending over, but standing and walking, not an issue. All are much more portable than a 4 5/8" BH.

The 4" SP101 wins the Trail Gun race in any holster. With a 125-140gr bullet, it's minute of coyote way farther than the .38's.

· Registered
205 Posts
Not to mention with 357s it isn't too stout to shoot a box of shells or two due to the little extra weight . I love my 101 and I carry it even though its a 4.2". The sp101 is a hell of a versatile gun IMHO. :D

· Registered
367 Posts
I carry my SP101 357 3" barrel IWB every day, don't think it is to heavy at all. Took 6 months to find it and I'll keep it until I die, Excellent gun.

· Registered
3,613 Posts
I prefer to pocket carry revolvers and have a few snubbies. I carry my KLCR the most. It weights 17oz empty. I also have a Taurus 905(9mm revolver) that weighs 22oz empty. Its right at the limit of comfort to weight ratio for me. I also have an SP101 2" DAO. It weighs 25oz empty and I find it too heavy for my pocket, and a little too large also. The grip is longer and fatter than the KLCR, and when walking, it really swings. I love the SP101, I have 3 of them, but for me... too heavy for the pocket.

· Registered
5,848 Posts
I've CCW'd my 2.25" SP101 .357mag since December 1994...and have never had an issue with it from a weight perspective! I've had, held, shot, and carried other pistols, calibers, etc...and always come back to the SP101! You just can't beat a .357 mag. for personal defense!

In May 2009, I lost both of my jobs within 5 working days...and we had to sell nearly everything we had to keep up with bills until I found another job 4 months later! The three handguns that we kept were 2 SP101's (mine in .357 and the wife's in .38) and the 6.5" Single-Six, which I sold, but then bought back...it was the first revolver I ever purchased and just couldn't see letting it go when I could get it back!

I've owned an LCR...and ended up selling it and sticking with the SP101! You made a great choice!

· Registered
539 Posts
I'm waiting for my Tommy Theis IWB holster for my SP101 2.25 w/Crimson Trace grips. I am currently carrying it in a cheap Unkle Mikes holster and concealing it IWB by my belt buckle, the gun is no problem to conceal comfortably. I was shocked how easy it is to shoot 357 loads out of this gun based on a bad experience with a little S&W revolver. I sold that thing as fast as I could and had given up on a wheel gun for CCW until I took a chance on the SP101.

· Registered
3,593 Posts
Glad you kept the Sp 101. I really enjoy my 2 & 4 inch models.
More importantly, I hope you found employment soon afterwards. Tough out there without it.

I've CCW'd my 2.25" SP101 .357mag since December 1994...and have never had an issue with it from a weight perspective! I've had, held, shot, and carried other pistols, calibers, etc...and always come back to the SP101! You just can't beat a .357 mag. for personal defense!

In May 2009, I lost both of my jobs within 5 working days...and we had to sell nearly everything we had to keep up with bills until I found another job 4 months later! The three handguns that we kept were 2 SP101's (mine in .357 and the wife's in .38) and the 6.5" Single-Six, which I sold, but then bought back...it was the first revolver I ever purchased and just couldn't see letting it go when I could get it back!

I've owned an LCR...and ended up selling it and sticking with the SP101! You made a great choice!

· Registered
122 Posts
In carrying my SP101 3" daily I have created quite a bit of interest in gun circles for this particular gun. Since the 327 Federal Magnum is not a well known round it has created a bit of discussion also. Some called it a sissy round since it is a .32 caliber but that talk ended abruptly when they shot it and I showed them the ballistics on this round. Still brings a smile to my face every time I shoot it myself.

· Registered
304 Posts
I carry my SP101 2" DAO every day. I also carry a LCR357 every day. The SP101 is AIWB and the LCR357 is in my off hand pocket. The only time I do not have these Two is the rare times that I ware dress pants.

· Administrator
23,772 Posts
I pocket carried my 2 1/4" SP for years before they came out with the LCR. Now I belt carry the SP and pocket carry the LCR or the Charter Undercover.

· Registered
4,164 Posts
I carry my 2.25 inch Sp101 in a Desantis pocket holster in cargo shorts in the summer months and a Bianchi acumold OWB holster in the winter months.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.