Ruger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK - I admit it.
I was respouting something I saw on a forum as truth.

I'm hangin my head in shame.

I used to say that the SP101 was too heavy for CCW.
Well, I'm telling all THAT"S JUST WRONG!!!!!

I went to the range recently with several guns.
A Kel-tec PF9, a S&W Model 38, & a 2.25" SP101.

At the end of my fun, all I had left was 5 .357 Magnum rounds.
So I carried my SP101 in my pocket holster.

It was NOT too heavy & infact, I forgot I had it.
So don't let anyone, including me, tell you that the SP101 is too heavy.
Maybe with sweatpants, but if you wear a belt or a set of suspenders, it works.
(or at least it does for me).

Please try it out for yourself.
Just my 2¢ worth.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I carry my 101 in both my pocket and on my ankle. Not at the same time of course. Not to heavy if you were raised on real guns and not the plastic ones.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I carry my SP101 3" in 327 Fed Mag daily in a OWB holster and haven't found it to be heavy for carry. I feel more comfortable with it than a 13 oz piece of plastic.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
I used to say that the SP101 was too heavy for CCW.
Well, I'm telling all THAT"S JUST WRONG!!!!!
I have three small frame revolvers. A M637 Airweight, a 3" M36, and a 4" SP101.

In holsters of similar design, the differences are small. In a pocket, the M37 takes up less room, without a doubt. In an inside the pants holster, the longer SP101 is not as comfortable sitting or bending over, but standing and walking, not an issue. All are much more portable than a 4 5/8" BH.

The 4" SP101 wins the Trail Gun race in any holster. With a 125-140gr bullet, it's minute of coyote way farther than the .38's.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Not to mention with 357s it isn't too stout to shoot a box of shells or two due to the little extra weight . I love my 101 and I carry it even though its a 4.2". The sp101 is a hell of a versatile gun IMHO. :D

·
Registered
367 Posts
I carry my SP101 357 3" barrel IWB every day, don't think it is to heavy at all. Took 6 months to find it and I'll keep it until I die, Excellent gun.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
I prefer to pocket carry revolvers and have a few snubbies. I carry my KLCR the most. It weights 17oz empty. I also have a Taurus 905(9mm revolver) that weighs 22oz empty. Its right at the limit of comfort to weight ratio for me. I also have an SP101 2" DAO. It weighs 25oz empty and I find it too heavy for my pocket, and a little too large also. The grip is longer and fatter than the KLCR, and when walking, it really swings. I love the SP101, I have 3 of them, but for me... too heavy for the pocket.

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
I've CCW'd my 2.25" SP101 .357mag since December 1994...and have never had an issue with it from a weight perspective! I've had, held, shot, and carried other pistols, calibers, etc...and always come back to the SP101! You just can't beat a .357 mag. for personal defense!

In May 2009, I lost both of my jobs within 5 working days...and we had to sell nearly everything we had to keep up with bills until I found another job 4 months later! The three handguns that we kept were 2 SP101's (mine in .357 and the wife's in .38) and the 6.5" Single-Six, which I sold, but then bought back...it was the first revolver I ever purchased and just couldn't see letting it go when I could get it back!

I've owned an LCR...and ended up selling it and sticking with the SP101! You made a great choice!

·
Registered
539 Posts
I'm waiting for my Tommy Theis IWB holster for my SP101 2.25 w/Crimson Trace grips. I am currently carrying it in a cheap Unkle Mikes holster and concealing it IWB by my belt buckle, the gun is no problem to conceal comfortably. I was shocked how easy it is to shoot 357 loads out of this gun based on a bad experience with a little S&W revolver. I sold that thing as fast as I could and had given up on a wheel gun for CCW until I took a chance on the SP101.

·
Registered
3,556 Posts
Glad you kept the Sp 101. I really enjoy my 2 & 4 inch models.
More importantly, I hope you found employment soon afterwards. Tough out there without it.

I've CCW'd my 2.25" SP101 .357mag since December 1994...and have never had an issue with it from a weight perspective! I've had, held, shot, and carried other pistols, calibers, etc...and always come back to the SP101! You just can't beat a .357 mag. for personal defense!

In May 2009, I lost both of my jobs within 5 working days...and we had to sell nearly everything we had to keep up with bills until I found another job 4 months later! The three handguns that we kept were 2 SP101's (mine in .357 and the wife's in .38) and the 6.5" Single-Six, which I sold, but then bought back...it was the first revolver I ever purchased and just couldn't see letting it go when I could get it back!

I've owned an LCR...and ended up selling it and sticking with the SP101! You made a great choice!

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
I carry my 101 every day and don't have any trouble with the weight. It will be four years next month. an excellent overall weapon.

·
Registered
119 Posts
In carrying my SP101 3" daily I have created quite a bit of interest in gun circles for this particular gun. Since the 327 Federal Magnum is not a well known round it has created a bit of discussion also. Some called it a sissy round since it is a .32 caliber but that talk ended abruptly when they shot it and I showed them the ballistics on this round. Still brings a smile to my face every time I shoot it myself.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I carry my SP101 2" DAO every day. I also carry a LCR357 every day. The SP101 is AIWB and the LCR357 is in my off hand pocket. The only time I do not have these Two is the rare times that I ware dress pants.

·
Super Moderator
21,697 Posts
I pocket carried my 2 1/4" SP for years before they came out with the LCR. Now I belt carry the SP and pocket carry the LCR or the Charter Undercover.

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
I carry my 2.25 inch Sp101 in a Desantis pocket holster in cargo shorts in the summer months and a Bianchi acumold OWB holster in the winter months.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
SP101 for carry? Just right. ;) Small enough to carry, but substantial enough to absorb heavy .357 rounds consistently. :)
-Bruce

1 - 17 of 17 Posts