Ruger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently jumped back into the sp101 pool.
This time a 3 inch 357. Great little gun. Seemed much better at handling recoil than I remembered the 2 inch barrel did.

Problem is still the grip. I really like the lett grips as they seem toi absorb recoil better than the others I have tried. Today I compared the lett to pachmayr compact, hogue, butler creek rubber grips.

They all do relatively well at absorbing recoil but the lett grips seem much better.

Problem is the letts have the knuckle busting issue.

You would think after all these years ruger would have addressed this.

How do the wood grips deal with recoil?

Sting, painful?

What about viz grips?

·
Super Moderator
21,217 Posts
I just grip a little lower and stick with the Lett style. They just feel too good in my hands to try something different..

·
Cat Herder
1,579 Posts
I like the VZ. I've used the factory grips, Altamonts (basically factory style but textured), Badger, Pachmayr Compacs, and Hogue (wood and rubber). I'm not recoil shy and had no problem with any, but in order of recoil from least to most I would go Pachmayr Compacs/Hogue rubber (tie), factory/Altamont rubber/VZ/Hogue wood (tie), Badger.

The VZ and Hogue wood fill the hand well, so that helps with recoil despite the hard material. VZs I can conceal, Hogue I cannot. The Badgers look great and carry well, but have the most recoil. I don't use Compacs because I found them hard to get to not move on the gun or would be overtightened and nearly unremovable for thorough cleaning.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just grip a little lower and stick with the Lett style. They just feel too good in my hands to try something different..
I think you may be correct. I will try to adjust grip and see how it works. I have always liked the lett grips for recoil absorption.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Wood really never helps recoil, ever. In an SP101 I've had good luck with the textured rubber Altamont grips, I mean it'll still bark pretty good with 357's but it's not painful at all.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the 2in and the stock grips for me were to small and beat the heck out of my knuckle with just .38, my hands are far to big to grip lower. I ended up replacing them with Hogue rubber grips and love them, no more knuckle beatings and even shooting .357 was more than tolerable. I really don't get a concealabilty or draw problems, once I have my hand under my shirt and on the grip there is no rubber exposed to catch on anything.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I've tried all these and found the Hogue Monogrip to be the best for me giving me a full grip on the draw vs Diamond Pro and still concealable AIWB. IMO 357 recoil shooting an SP101 2.25" isn't pleasant (with arthritis) but 38+P shoots painlessly while doing the job. Wood looks better but I always find myself going back to rubber for comfort.
IMG_1628 (3).JPG

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
OlongJohnson mentioned trying the Pachmayr Diamond Pro. Have a set on my 3" .357 SP101 and very pleased with them.
Well, grips are like anything else. What fits one shooter is poison for the next. The problem is you don't know until they are paid for and on the gun. So, opinions are not really a good measure for the most part.

I replaced the OEM grips on my SP101 with the Pachmayr Diamond Pros, and it was like a new gun. Even 180gr bullets over full on doses of 2400 were manageable, (they were not with the originals). Then I put a set on my M69, much better than the OEM Hogue's. (That most really like).

It depends.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts