Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What’s your opinion of the Hogue overmolded rubber vs Pachmeyer Diamond Pro (or other). Slight diff in price but not important.
Some of the wood are nice but doubt if they add anything other than looks.

thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,681 Posts
I tried the Hogues on my SP101...didn't care for them. Felt small in my hand. Installed a set of Diamond Pro's and they fit great. They have a little more girth and don't feel as soft as the Hogues.

·
Forlorn Hope
492 Posts
I have the Hogues on my SP101, and they are very comfortable to me. I have relatively small hands, so I can't speak to them being undersized, though they are certainly much larger than the stock grips. I've handled the Pachmeyers, and while I like how they look on the gun a lot, they don't fit my hand quite right (again possibly due to hand size). Both grips fill in the undercut behind the trigger, which for some folks (myself included) had been a source of finger bite from the edge of the finger guard. I also have custom Hogue wooden grips that Ruger made for me, and can tell you that they look amazing, feel as good in the hand as the rubber ones, but are really best for display, as they don't help with recoil, and would likely get slick from sweat, or break if dropped.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got the Hogue Monogrip and they feel great. Now to get out and shoot this thing.

Note: When taking off originals I noticed the little pin they talk about wasn't there. And no I didn't lose it. Don't really need now it but wondered if I might need it in the future and if it was worth getting one from ruger.

·
Forlorn Hope
492 Posts
...wondered if I might need it in the future and if it was worth getting one from ruger.
I'd get a new one, just for the sake of completeness, though I agree, it's really not something to be concerned about. Ruger will likely charge very little, or send it for free.

·
Cat Herder
1,625 Posts
I got the Hogue Monogrip and they feel great. Now to get out and shoot this thing.

Note: When taking off originals I noticed the little pin they talk about wasn't there. And no I didn't lose it. Don't really need now it but wondered if I might need it in the future and if it was worth getting one from ruger.
If you are talking about the little copper takedown pin, I think they stopped putting them in there. My most recent SP101 didn't have one either. I tend to use a paperclip or small punch.

·
Premium Member
1,221 Posts
If you are talking about the little copper takedown pin, I think they stopped putting them in there. My most recent SP101 didn't have one either.
same here

·
Premium Member
2,681 Posts

As others have stated...no included anymore...paperclip or small allen wrench serves the same purpose.

·
Registered
539 Posts
What’s your opinion of the Hogue overmolded rubber vs Pachmeyer Diamond Pro (or other). Slight diff in price but not important.
Some of the wood are nice but doubt if they add anything other than looks.

thanks.
I've experimented with all these grips and decided on the Hogue monogrip because it allows me to get a full grip on the draw and absorbs recoil well. The wood Pachs look great but brutal shooting 357s. The Diamond Pro are very comfortable but don't allow full grip on the draw. The stock grip is way too small for my XL hands. YMMD
IMG_1628 (3).JPG

1 - 10 of 10 Posts