Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been carrying this revolver, deep concealed, in a Thunderwear rig for about a month or so now. Two things are making me think about a grip replacement:

First is range work. With Speer 125 grn. Gold Dots, the recoil is pretty stiff. Although it doesn't affect my shooting and my range work is generally enjoyable. However, it does leave the big knuckle on my middle finger (just behind the trigger guard) bruised and somewhat sore, after firing about a box (20 rounds) of this ammunition. I've shot revolvers with this section filled by the grip before and they were very pleasant (and accurate) to shoot.

Second is concealment. The large (somewhat flared) butt section of the factory stocks does bulge my jeans when I carry deep concealed. Seems to me that for concealment, a narrower grip and butt section would beneficial.

Are there grips designed to addressed these minor problems? Can't see buying a replacement if they do not. I've been looking at Trausch grips and Hogues. They would probably solve my first concern, but not sure about the second. I also do not want wood grips. Anyone have any suggestions as to what I should be looking at? Thank you all. :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
I don't carry since I live in the People's Republic of New Jersey, but I do have Trausch grips on my SP101. They make shooting magnum ammo a pleasure, at least compared to the stock grips. They are a little bigger than stock though and they do have a little tackiness to them (which is great for maintaining your grip) that you might find objectionable in a carry piece.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I struggled with the same thing and ended up staying with the factory grips. I didn't pysically try any other grips on mine, but after asking around on various forums it sounded like Ruger's grips were about as small as you could get. Some people like Pachmayr's compact grips since they're similar in dimensions to Ruger's grips. Don't know if they're any thinner. Might be worth a look.

I've tried carrying my SP in a pocket holster and it prints a little there as well. It looks like "something" big is in my pocket, but no passer-by or cop has ever asked if it was a gun.

You could try approaching the bruising issue by experimenting with different ammo. I hear good things about Cor-bon's 125 gr. DPX, but the price is holding me back.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cor Bon

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Wolfeye - I tried the Cor Bon 125 grn. JHP's. Not the DPX though. If you look back in the "Concealed Carry Weapons" forum under my previous post ("It's hererrrrrrrr.." on page 2) you will see my results. Accuracy was actually better with the Speer Gold Dots and a couple of bucks cheaper to boot. But I would like to try these new Cor Bon's. Thanks again.

·
Registered
28 Posts
FWIW, I prefer shooting almost anything out of SP101 than the 125gainers. You're right - those do hurt. They feel "torquier" to me than 158s. SO, while I do have a box of 125s, I mostly stick to heavier bullets.

Preacher

·
Registered
589 Posts
There is a huge difference in recoil between the standard Corbon HP and the DPX. The standard Corbon HP is one of the hardest recoiling loads I have ever shot.

·
Registered
51 Posts
The Crimson Trace grips for the SP fill the gap 'tween the frame and trigger guard. My problem was the "sting" of firing. But, all I could find around here was 125 grain Remington's and Federals. I'll try something heavier and see if that changes.

·
Banned
108 Posts
I have a SP101 in .38 special+P and used hogues in wood and rubber but went back to the factory grip with some custom maple inserts. Since it is a .38 special the factory grip offers plenty of recoil control, but if I had the.357 SP101 I think I would use the hogue.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I use the Hogue Monogrip

I was not impressed with the stock rubber grips with the plastic inserts. I was unable to get all my fingers onto the grip and during recoil my fingers would get slapped by the trigger guard. After changing over to the monogrip i am now able to get all fingers on the grip and the grip fills in the area between the grip and trigger guard. The Hogue rubber material really helps to dissipate the felt recoil and allows for a more pleasant shooting experience. The grips were very economically priced at around $14

Chicken-Farmer

·
Registered
301 Posts
You might want to think about Pachmayr's.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I've got a set of Hogue's coming tomorrow. I'll remove the stock grips just to save them since they are no longer available for sale anywhere I look. Soon as the rain quits I'll head out to the local BLM and try 'em out with some off-the-shelf .357 loads. I think I've got some Double Tap 125 and 158 grainers in my ammo locker.

Ed

·
Banned
108 Posts
Hey Ed, if you ever want more SP101 factory grips , Brownells.com has them. Item#780-001-109 without inserts is $5.95 and item#780-001-123 with plastic inserts is $16.50. Both are instock and Brownells says Ruger is keeping them in production. Hope that helps ! Infantryman.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Thanks for that info Infantryman!

Ed

·
Banned
723 Posts
Check out Pacmayr.

I like the Compact Grip for the SP101 if the stocks that come with the SP101 are not to your liking. Hogue also makes a decent set, depending on what you need your stocks to do.

Biker

·
Registered
377 Posts
I got my Hogue grips in. I gotta say I like the new grip a lot better than stock. I could use it being just a tad thicker. Still haven't had a chance to shoot it though.

Ed

·
Registered
536 Posts
I have these:
http://www.badgercustomgrips.com/
and they work pretty well. They are boot-type, with only room for two fingers ON the grip, but with the finger-grip profile, they lock in well. The only issue is they will not work with HKS speedloaders in the standard configuration. However, I have been told that if you talk to the maker, he will modify them so they will work with the speedloaders.

Just another option. Although they look like one-piece, they are actually a two-piece grip. But they fit together pretty well.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have these:
http://www.badgercustomgrips.com/
and they work pretty well. They are boot-type, with only room for two fingers ON the grip, but with the finger-grip profile, they lock in well. The only issue is they will not work with HKS speedloaders in the standard configuration. However, I have been told that if you talk to the maker, he will modify them so they will work with the speedloaders.

Just another option. Although they look like one-piece, they are actually a two-piece grip. But they fit together pretty well.
Are they thicker than the stock grips?

Thanks!

·
Registered
80 Posts
The Crimson Trace grips for the SP fill the gap 'tween the frame and trigger guard. My problem was the "sting" of firing. But, all I could find around here was 125 grain Remington's and Federals. I'll try something heavier and see if that changes.
Just one tip on alternative loads. The Remington 140 SJHP is a hell raiser. It is as fast as the 125 @1390fps from a 3" barrel, and 10% heavier. I think it will fall into the stinging class if you ry it.

·
Registered
374 Posts
+1 for Badger

Jim Badger is a nice guy who WILL customize your grips for you. I have a set of his full-size compact (got that?) grips for my .22LR SP101.

Yes, they ARE thicker than the factory synthetic grip, and they're longer front-to-back too. The one I have also swells into the palm a little bit. Quality is FIRST RATE. The grip angle is more glock than 1911, which is to say you will have to depress your wrist a bit to align the sights compared to the factory setup. You may prefer this, or not. Trigger reach is perfect for medium-large hands like mine, whereas the factory grip is a little bit tight for single-action shooting. Even with the Badgers I shoot with the distal joint single-action, so they're not huge. Note how they fill the space behind the trigger guard - no more wallop on the middle finger with the magnums (uh... I mean the Stingers ;-) these are traditional-style 2-piece grips.

If you call Jim on the phone he will take your customization order. It will cost a few $ extra, but not much.

I had him make a set of small-hand grips for my girlfriend's .38 Diamondback. Her hands are medium-large for a woman, but smaller than mine, and man-size finger grooves never fit her right. You should have seen the look on her face when she opened the surprise delivery:

Short story is: I highly recommend Jim Badger's work. If you prefer a more 1911 grip, ask him if he can adjust the outside contours appropriately. There's plenty of room around the grip stud for it. For what it's worth, his stock angle complements the lines of the revolver better, but my own preference is for something slightly more vertical (1911-ish).

-Daizee

1 - 20 of 24 Posts