Ruger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a Meprolight front sight on my SP101 but it doesn't appear to be glowing. It is barely visible in very low light conditions. To those of you who have installed one of these on your revolver, what brightness level are you experiencing? I've e-mailed Meprolight twice over the past week or so with no reply.

Phil

·
Double P90 Shooter
19,887 Posts
The Tritium sights all have a 12 year life span.The older they get the dimmer they get...

·
Registered
5,502 Posts
Mine have all shown fairly brightly since I installed them...the oldest one being approx. 5 years old now? Can u compare your sight with someone else's to determine brightness...using a scale of 1-10...see where yours fits on the scale...10 being the brightest? The 1st tritium sight I ever bought was a Trijicon for an SP10q1...it was so small that I had to squint to see it in a blacked out room! I replaced it with a Meprolight and that worked just fine!

I'm liking the one from XS Sights that I purchased for my fixed-sight GP100 better! Mep's have been around for a long time and have been my prefered tritium sight for years...however, on the GP100, I'm liking the rounded-top look with the fixed rear sight! Personal preference I'd guess! I would definitely recommend XS Sights!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just checked it again in a darkened room and it does glow. I guess I was expecting it to be visible in daylight as well.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,812 Posts
There ya go - I have several XS and an un-installed Meprolight and I have to go in the dark closet to see the glow. Sounds like yours is normal.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts