Ruger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, got the itch.. Which one would you choose and why? Besrt price ive seen on sp101 is $520 and gp100 about $610. Anybody do better? And where? As always, thank for the input. Ron

·
Registered
887 Posts
I would do the GP simply because I have large hands and also prefer full size guns and grips in most cases

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
I would do the GP. I have the SP101 .22LR and it is a very nice handgun. I also have the S&W 617 and I like it even better. From what I hear the GP100 .22LR is very much like the S&W 617, so there you are.

You won't go wrong either way. The SP101 .22LR is a very nice shooter. Put the Wolf Spring Kit in it and it is even better. But it is fun to shoot a good-size revolver in .22LR. My 617 is disgustingly accurate.

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
Only way I'd buy a GP100 22LR is if I wanted an entry level revolver for Bullseye - and a GP100 wouldn't be my first choice.

I love the SP101 22LR, it's a fantastic kit gun.

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
Varminterror has put it best, check out the S&W Model 617 another very nice gun thats the same size as the S&W. Taurus Model 992 much better gun then the smaller J framed Taurus. I feel that normally the GP100 should have a smoother action vs the SP101. It all depends on size and feel. Good Luck!!!

·
Registered
180 Posts
I suggest the stainless steel Ruger Bearcat because its small light weight and their is just something special about a .22 caliber single action revolver. Plus stainless steel is easier to clean then a blued or nickel finished revolver.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Both the S&W 617 and the Ruger SP101 .22LR just SCREAM to be shot double-action. Nothing against single action revolvers, but it is a hoot to shoot a .22LR revolver DA. I haven't had a chance to shoot the GP100 .22LR yet, but I'm betting that it is the same.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I went and pawed the bearcat and sp101 side by side. Bearcat was a very cool looking pistol but felt small in my hand. Reaching trigger was awkward and hand moved a little too much for my liking. I have the sp101 in 4" 357mag, and would be the natural choice, but not until I compare the sp & gp side by side, trigger to trigger.( Will be a week before I can do that) At roughly $525 and $610 respectively, I want to see if the extra $$ is well spent or not. Thanks to all and keep the opinions coming. Always good to hear from people who have and use them. Ron

·
Registered
188 Posts
id get the SP101. its the perfect size for a 22, IMHO you dont need the huge GP for such a small caliber. i own both guns in 357 and for some reason i like the SP more. and the GP is a match champ...go figure.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I chose the GP. I've been very tempted by the SP101 22 for years, but it never got me over the hump to purchase.

If you want a reason, 10 rounds is always more fun. Enough said.

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
I have the sp101 in 4" 357mag, and would be the natural choice, but not until I compare the sp & gp side by side, trigger to trigger.( Will be a week before I can do that) At roughly $525 and $610 respectively, I want to see if the extra $$ is well spent or not.
I can tell you in advance what to expect when comparing an SP101 to a GP100 "trigger to trigger." The two are of the same design, but the SP action is smaller, so the SP - by design - has a heavier trigger pull than the GP. Not by much, but enough such you will feel it when you compare them side by side. Equally, be careful to temper your expectations when comparing a rimfire SP or GP to the center fire version of the same, as both rimfire models use heavier springs than their centerfire counterparts, giving them - by design - heavier hammer draws and heavier trigger pulls. So the rimfire SP will have a heavier trigger than your centerfire version, and the centerfire GP would have lighter still. So don't compare a CF GP to an RF SP.

For what it's worth, it's not really fruitful to compare the two - both need trigger jobs out of the box, and both can be greatly reduced for DA and SA pull weight. The RF's not as much as the CF's, but they still can be significantly reduced without compromising reliability of ignition. Both can be made to have really great triggers, for minimal investment. There's no GP100 on a shelf anywhere with a better trigger than any one of my 8 current SP's, and I've never spent more than about $30 to make that happen for any one of them. Focus on the grip and trigger reach, and the balance in hand. The triggers can be easily changed.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I bought the SP and love it, $520 is as good as I could find after extensive searching.
Got it online at Grabagun and it arrived about flawless on finish and specs but go over it good before accepting delivery. Delivered 3 days after order, 5-7 is typical.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Grabagun is usually fast to ship. I got a "we haven't heard from you lately" email containing a code to waive the $5.99 shipping. Tempted to get the sp101 at the $520 free shipping. Hmmm......

·
Registered
51 Posts
I own a GP100 in 357 and the SP101 22. For 22 caliber performance and intended use, I wouldn't want to pack around a GP Sized frame. The SP grips are smallish but good enough. I would imagine replacements could be had that would fix that.

·
Registered
1 Posts
For competitive target shooting, I'd suggest a semi-auto .22 lr pistol. I have a 45/22 now (similar grip to 1911). Mark III if you prefer that grip. New S&W Lightning .22 looks interesting. S&W Model 41 was my favorite. Sorry I sold it when my son was born.

Have fun with whatever you choose!

·
Registered
44 Posts
I own a GP100 in 357 and the SP101 22. For 22 caliber performance and intended use, I wouldn't want to pack around a GP Sized frame. The SP grips are smallish but good enough. I would imagine replacements could be had that would fix that.
That's what I have and love the combo.
For $30 you can buy a Wolff spring kit AND a Hogue monogrip for the SP101 22lr. Love shooting mine.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts