Ruger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy, y'all. I just picked up an SP101 .357 with the 4" barrel and I've been having a lot of trouble with it; hoping y'all can help me out. I got it brand new about three weeks ago and took it to the local indoor range with a friend. Trying to sight it in, it just kept shooting to the right no matter what I did. I thought I was having a bad day until my friend handed me his Colt Trooper with the 8" barrel. Suddenly, my groups went from 6" to 1" and it occurred to me that maybe my revolver was the problem.

Went to clean it and saw that the front sight was almost completely out of its notch to the left; I pushed it the rest of the way out easily with my finger. Called Ruger and told them what happened and they sent a new sight. For a .32 H&H, according to the receipt. :rolleyes: Called again and they sent out the correct one. I also downloaded the IBOK and ordered some Wolff springs.

When the sight and the springs came in, I installed them. The sight was properly sized, unlike the original, and needed a padded vise to install. Problem #1 solved.

I painstakingly disassembled the pistol and installed a 12 pound hammer strut spring and a 10 pound return spring and polished some stuff the IBOK said to polish. I should note that everything seemed very nicely finished already, except that there were a couple of sharp edges on the hammer strut. I very carefully reassembled everything and test fired it dry. I hated the feel of the reset with the lighter return spring, so I pulled it apart again, put the original return spring back in, and reassembled again. This time, it felt perfect.

Took it to the range yesterday and met up with other folks from a local forum. I was mostly there to shoot my AK SBR with a can on it, but I wanted to make sure the Ruger was still good as well. It wasn't. I put the AK down to let it cool off for a bit and decided to try the SP. Very nice and smooth for five rounds on SA, then five on DA, then five more on SA. I handed it off to one of the other guys while I put a few through his Tavor. He said it jammed on him. I was very confused. Another guy unloaded the four spent cases from it for him; the fifth round was untouched, no mark on the primer at all. He was able to fire it after putting it back in.

After this, I put five more in and went to fire it. I could neither pull the trigger for DA nor pull the hammer back for SA. I swung out the cylinder and tried again and it worked. I put the cylinder back in and it worked again, but then jammed again.

I took it home and took it apart for cleaning and could not detect any problems. I am very much at a loss here. I don't think I did anything wrong, but if there's something I might have missed my ego will survive being told so. I feel like I have a basic grasp of how this thing works, but I don't understand what could go wrong that would cause intermittent jams like this. And last, of course, I have been unable to repeat the failure by dry firing it.

Thanks for your input,
-Kit

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Put your factory springs back in, call Ruger CS and tell them you're having issues. They'll send you a prepaid shipping label and you'll have it back in under two weeks. Sure we can play guessing games on what you did or did not do, try this, try that but really why? It's brand new and Ruger will fix it for free so why bother? The phone call is free and operators are standing by.....

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Be advised that any part you modified will be replaced with factory new parts by Ruger.

To protect themselves the guy has to leave their hands in as safe a condition as possible. To that end it cannot have any modified parts in it.

·
Banned
650 Posts
+1 on calling Ruger to get a pistol in good working order. If you want to accurize your pistol send it to a good gunsmith. The Colt Trooper with an 8" barrel has a much better sight radius. The sight radius in itself could explain your improved shooting. But most likely it was you were shooting a fully functioning pistol vs a pistol with the sight walking around each shot.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the tips, y'all. I got an RMA from Ruger today, despite the CS rep being certain it was my ammo. It'll be going back tomorrow along with a note asking for info on what the problem was.

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, but I'll be enjoying the GP100 I bought to replace it and selling this one to a friend.

Cheers,
-Kit

1 - 12 of 12 Posts