Ruger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at picking up a SP101 for my wife to carry. I am undecided about going with the hammerless model. What kind of difference is there in trigger pull. I would rather her have the hammerless model if the DA trigger is not too horrible.
Thanks....

·
Registered
404 Posts
Hi FreakyBig,
Just to clarify for other readers, the SP101 doesn't come in a truely hammerless model like the S&W snubbies. It comes with or without a hammer spur. In the version without the hammer spur they also remove the SA cocking notch so it is double action only. Other than those changes the guns are identical so I imagine the DA trigger pull is close to identical. In a CCW SA capability is not needed and the lack of a spur to snag on the draw is a big advantage in the spurless model. Iowegan has some instructions for a trigger job on the Rugers, pm him to request a copy. You can also order reduced power springs from Wolffe for around $15. Lots of dry firing with snap caps will also smooth things up.

I started with a spurred hammer and had the spur removed by a gunsmith and the top of the hammer serrated. At distances out to 12 yards there is little practicle difference in my group sizes between DA and SA.

-Wuchak

·
Super Moderator
21,868 Posts
I bought a new SP101 about a year and a half ago and the trigger smoothed out after a couple boxes of reloads and quite a bit of dry firing. I would characterize the double action pull as stiff but smooth. I have the model with a full hammer as I prefer the single action option. Overall I think the SP101 is a great firearm and it is my principal carry weapon. It would be an excellent carry weapon for anyone and I'm guessing you wife will be very happy with it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
the DA pull does clean up greatly after about 350 rounds. I kept track of the amount as i reload and know my inventory.they were all .38+p's with 158 gr cast bullets.sp101 a great little gun i wish my sheriff's model .45 shot like this outfit also use for ccw a little heavy but isn't shooting loose like the taurus i have.would recommend to anyone!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts