Ruger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am 62, and my eyesight isn't what it used to be. I am thinking about doing something to improve the sight picture on my SP101.

I want more contrast between the front and rear sights, and perhaps a tritium front sight if that will provide more daytime contrast.

What are the best tritium night sights for the SP101? I have been considering Meprolights and 24/7 Big Dots (though I worry that the big dots might make shooting at distance more difficult). I have seen sights with bright red inserts on many pistols, Smiths mostly, but also on some Rugers, and I think these would help as well, but have not seen them for the SP101.

I am also wondering if the rear sight could be improved, either by having a gunsmith add a more visible sight or by somehow modifying the existing rear sight--painting it perhaps?

If you have ideas and/or opinions on improving the sights on an SP101, please provide them.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I put a Mepro on mine and love it. For longer range accuracy just use the top of it for a normal sight picture. For closer in defensive shooting, out to 12 yards or so, just put the dot on the target and shoot. The white ring around the tritium makes this possible in daylight too. I think it's a great option for a defensive handgun.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Consider something like Crimson Trace grips. I bought the SP 2 1/4" with spurless hammer and CT grips and couldn't be happier. I was going to do something with the sights. I bought it purely for SD and find that my point shooting ability (no sight) even with the laser turned off is becoming down right amazing.

Note that when the chips were down in most reported gunfights the police officer/citizen don't even remember seeing their sights.

Most of the advantage comes from being able to safely dry fire practice virtually anywhere (not in public of course).

My confidence level is up 1000%. Dry fire a few hundred times "from retention" at a silver dollar sized target in the convenience of your own home. Then go to the range and rapid fire from retention at 25 feet producing a group no bigger than your fist at center mass and tell me that ain't fun.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Did you ever find sights that you liked? I've been considering the Trijicon Front sights for my 3" SP101 but i've heard mixed reviews

1 - 4 of 4 Posts