Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been asking in the revolver forum and elsewhere some SP101 questions. The reason is, I'm signed up for this NRA concealed carry course in June (but may get bumped up to May just a couple weeks from now). And they want you to bring the gun you intend to carry.

Well, I'm a long way off from carrying, though I think it's a reasonable goal to set for myself. Mostly I want the knowledge that comes from the course, and then the permit is an easy thing to apply for and, presumably, attain. If I qualify, why not have it if for no other reason to avoid some circumstances where I might accidentally not be in full compliance when transporting or traveling with my guns?

Anyway, this SP101 keeps jumping out at me, it is spoken of so highly here. And I love the size of it. Ultimately, when I decide I'm ready to carry, I think I could do a lot worse than the SP101.

Additionally, I have located one that is new in the box, never fired, and the guy wants $400. I can get one from a store for $440 but hey, the difference is a couple boxes of ammo and I figured if I had a problem with it I could send it straight to Ruger.

I'm not crazy about the grips on the SP101, but I have not yet looked into aftermarket options.

Sorry for the long post that, it turns out, doesn't really even have a question. I guess I'm just bouncing it off you guys...

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
Eddie, I don't know about the Va Carry qualification laws, but in Oklahoma if you qualify with a Auto you can carry either a Auto,Revolver or Derringer. If you qualify with a Revolver, you can only carry a Revolver. Might be different in Va though.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Someone mentioned that before, and, the thing is, I think I'm just a revolver guy. I don't own an auto and the more I think about it the less likely I think it is that I ever will. Revolvers, I love how they look, love how they work. I see what you're saying, but I think I'd rather sit through the four hours of classroom and one hour of one-on-one range time using a gun that I own and would benefit from getting to know a lot better, than do it with a borrowed auto just to expand the parameters of the permit should I get it.

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
Everyone to his own thinking. I would do what made me happy. When I got my Permit I took a Revolver, and my Instructor encouraged me to borrow a Auto to shoot in the test so I could carry whatever I wanted. I'm glad I did, because (even though I have Revolvers) I carry a Auto. and I can still carry a Revolver if I want without having to get another permit.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh it makes sense, and I think I could borrow one easily. I think I'll have till early June to figure it out, I just am thinking about securing that SP101 before the class. If I can't or end up waiting to do that, then I might as well borrow an auto because I won't be using the actual gun I'd carry anyway, you know?

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
In KY, you can carry any stinking thing you want, including brass knuckles, if you have a CCW. It means ANY concealed weapon. Anyway, Hogue makes a nice grip for the SP101.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
you know, as many times as I've read references to Hogue grips I never checked out their web site till now. You can certainly get a grip to fit any taste, huh. I like this:

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
Honest, they are the best feeling grips for a double action revolver I have ever had. They fit my hand perfectly. The only grips of theirs I have not liked was for the Redhawk because the Redhawk has a regular grip frame and the grips are just too big. However, they still were preferable to the factory grips.

·
Code Slinger
2,202 Posts
I prefer soft rubber grips on magnums. the soft grip helps asorb recoil.
your signature shows you have a gp101 can you qualify with it? not much difference between gp and sp.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah I think I'll end up just qualifying with the GP. The SP I found, the guy is in Maryland, he has a FFL and will meet me in VA to do the deal. But $400 for the gun, I think it's a $10 fee at the Virginia dealer, and it's only $30 less than what I can get the gun for at Virginia Arms, where I got the GP. So for $30 and less hassle, I'd probably rather have the extra support that would come from buying the gun there should anything go wrong with it.

Plus I still have my neighbor's one year old like new lever action Marlin .357 he'd sell me for $200. Maybe I should pick that up and use that for some trading leverage to find an SP?

Keith, your SP is the hammerless variety, right?

·
Registered
146 Posts
I love my Sp-101 with 3" barrel. It depends on the holster alot on how hard or easy to carry. For grips I put Hogue Mono Grips on all my SP's, they are larger and gripper than stock. There are other after market grips that may work better for you.

·
Registered
576 Posts
EddieF...grab that .357 Marlin...if you don't want it, it is excellent trading property. If I were you, I would keep it...at least shoot it to see if you like it...Marlin, Winchester and Puma levers are fun guns. Regards, Ron.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I've been carrying a 2 1/4" Pig every summer for the past eight years. It's not a target piece, and the grips could be improved, but they're fine for 15-20 weekly refresher shots and the smaller size helps the gun to tuck nicely into the fairing pocket of my Goldwing.

Penn. used to require you to carry the gun that was listed on your permit. Since they went to a five year permit, any legally registered weapon can be used for CCW. Check-out your States requirements so you don't get boxed in....

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
In Tx, most qualify with auto...most ranges supply 9mm Glock-the easiest thing to qualify with---if you can't shoot that, give up.....many who've never shot do well with it...I'd say best to qualify with a 9mm if available in a Glock , Sigma, or XD...that lets you carry anything...if you qual with a revolver, then decide an auto would be good...lotsa crap and more $$ to get the amended license...plus if you ever used an auto in self defense, the civil attorneys would ride the fact that you weren't "qualified" to the bank....I wish we all had Vermont's laws !!!

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
First I've heard of having to carry what you qualify with. When I went several years ago I brought my 45Blackhawk, and the 1991 Colt. I used both. No one ever said anything about carry requirements so I just went for the target practice. Didn't even have the SP at that time. It was fun beating the other revolver shooters with the old single action. And then when we were done and the instructor called for holster weapons, I stuck it under the belt up front and walked off the range.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
From what I understand I take the course at the NRA range, two days, then they give me a certificate. Then I take that certificate to the 'courthouse' and apply for the permit. I guess I could ask the NRA what information is displayed on the certificate, or I could go to the courthouse and ask to see the application to see if it shows up.

What kind of office within the courthouse do you think I'd be looking for? Can't imagine there's a separate office just for CCLs.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Jimbo, sounds like you had fun-checked your CCW Permit/training laws and training is given in both revolver and auto...either may be qualified with, and no distinction on the permit...either can be carried...better than Texas...just like gumbo!!!

·
Registered
880 Posts
Grab th' Marlin!...and, particularly at that price...keep it!!! It'll go great with whatever .357 revolver you end up with. ( for what it's worth...I gotta agree with th' guys...qualify with th' auto, even tho' you're a wheelgun guy!)

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Jody, I have a GP100 .357 so I've got that covered. I will try the Marlin out in the next week or so. If I like it, I'll buy it. If I'm not crazy about it for some reason, I'll also buy it!

I love the looks of my Winchester Model 94 lever action. But I am anxious to see how a modern lever gun works. The 94, although perfectly functional, is not exactly silky smooth with the action.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
auto is the way to go and then you have anything you want to carry. The reason they want you to use the weapon your going to carry is so you can see how you shoot with it in the course of fire. sheepdog has the right idea I think. Sp101 grips are no problem take a lok at hogue and see what ya think.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.