Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my SP101s cylinder carry up is a little on the slow side for a Ruger DA. In DA the cylinder locks up right at the same time the hammer is released. It is not slow enough to cause any problems but it's not what I am used to in a DA Ruger. The problem is I can't really tell where the problem is. I suspected the paw but when I swapped it out with one of my other SP101s that locks up early it didn't make a difference. I went as far as swapping out almost everything between the two being careful to keep up with which part goes to which gun and it didn't make a difference in timing. I tried the paw, hammer, trigger, cylinder and I even tried putting the entire trigger group out of the one with what I consider normal timing in the one that is a little slow with no change. I don't want to send it back to Ruger because it's not slow enough to be a problem at this point. I am thinking about trying a new paw because they are cheap enough. Does anyone now if the new paws are large enough to allow fitting? Any other suggestions?

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,967 Posts
Reb, Ruger's design tends to make the timing a little early on their DA revolvers. It guarantees the cylinder will lock up before firing. That is the goal ... lock up ... not early lock up. I know people think their gun NEEDs to lock up early but that is not true. SP-101s in 38/357 only have a 5 shot cylinder so the pawl is required to rotate the cylinder 72 degrees instead of the normal 60 degrees for a 6 shot. That extra amount of rotation makes it where the trigger has to be all the way back to get full cylinder rotation.

When a revolver is tested for DA timing, sometimes people forget the trigger moves rearward a little after the DA sear breaks. Because the pawl is connected to the trigger, that bit of trigger overtravel will make the pawl fully rotate the cylinder.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know Iowegan just not what I am used to on Ruger DA revolvers. When shooting in DA mode it is nice to be able to stage the trigger to the point of cylinder lock with a little trigger left. That is the one thing I like most about Ruger DA triggers. The timing on this particular SP101 is more like my Colt and S&W. I know I am more than a little anal at times but I just can't help it.

Do you know if the paws available through Brownells allow some material for fitting? For $6.49 I might just get one or two the next time I order from them to see.

·
16,967 Posts
REB, Not to be anal but it's PAWL, not paw and that part isn't going to advance your timing. In the DA mode, to get the cylinder to lock up BEFORE the hammer releases, you would need a slightly longer hammer dog which in turn makes the hammer travel a bit farther to the rear and makes the trigger go back farther too. As I mentioned above, the pawl is connected to the trigger so if the trigger moves farther the pawl will rotate the cylinder farther. The pawl is a factory fitted part. Unless you are handy in a machine shop, the odds of finding one without sending your gun back to Ruger is slim to none. Even if you could find one, likely it wouldn't be the right length anyway.

Check this schematic: http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/schematics/schemmfg.aspx?schemid=31&m=13&mn=Ruger®&model=SP101+

The unnumbered part near the hammer and part #21 is the hammer dog. As you can see, it is not even listed because it must be factory fitted. My advice ... leave it alone.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the correction I knew that just wasn't thinking clearly. The pawl is a part you can buy from Ruger or Brownells sells them for $6.49 and fitting it is not be a problem. I have made a replacement hammer dog before for a different problem on a friends SP101 and thats not a problem if needed. Correct me if I am wrong but isn't the hammer transfered from the hammer dog to the DA sear on the trigger at this point. Maybe I am missing something here but I don't see how the hammer dog could be the source of the slightly slower timing at the end of the trigger travel. I could see where the DA sear on the hammer or trigger could reduce cylinder timing if it releases the hammer a little early. Like I said before though I have tried three different hammers and two different triggers with no change in timing. I really think a slightly taller pawl is what it would take to make the cylinder lock up a little earlier.

As I tried to say in my original post I do realize there is nothing wrong with this SP101, just curious. I do appreciate you taking the time to reply and humor me.

I just wish you had written the IBOK manuals years ago, it would have saved me a bunch of time looking at schematics and laying parts out on pegs to make sure I knew exactly what the relation was. It is still a valuable resource for an old tinker like me.

PS: In all my years of tinkering with different firearms I have still managed not to Bubba one up. I have fixed a few Bubba worked on though:)

·
16,967 Posts
REB, You're mostly right ... in situations where the hammer dog is too short, the trigger won't travel back far enough to rotate the cylinder all the way. If the hammer dog is too long, the DA sear won't transfer and will lock up. Chances are ... if your hammer dog is transferring properly, installing a longer hammer dog not only won't help, it will just lock up the trigger.

So ... disregard the hammer dog unless yours is too short. I doubt the pawl will help either but for under $10, it's worth a try.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's what I was thinking. I might pick one up the next time I order from Brownells, I am not going to pay shipping for just a pawl. It doesn't really bother me because this SP101 has the standard hammer and I don't shoot it DA much. Probably why I hadn't noticed it before.

I will say one thing, Ruger DA revolvers are a lot easier to work on that Colt DA revolvers. The parts are a lot cheaper too.

And I spelled pawl correctly:)

·
Registered
12 Posts
REB,

I discussed this with good folks at Ruger at one point. They said that all pawls are same length and replacing won't change timing. They also said that filing cylinder latch will move lockup forward a bit. FWIW - I did not try it myself and don't know if that's a good idea or not.

Mike

1 - 8 of 8 Posts