Ruger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I want to like the SP101. I want it to be a nice carry option and a good companion to my GP100. I've had money in my pocket and an SP in my hand half a dozen times but I get hung up on something every time.

The way the trigger feels, and not even so much pulling the trigger, but when you're letting the trigger move forward back to its rest position, it feels gritty or something. Just doesn't feel clean and crisp. I don't experience this AT ALL with my GP, so I used to think that it was a characteristic of the particular gun I was handling. But every one I've picked up, new or used, has the same rough feeling in the trigger.

Can someone tell me, is this something a gunsmith could smooth out for me? Is it even anything that can be improved? I can't be the only one who notices it.

Help me talk myself into this gun by telling me I can send it to somebody somewhere who does awesome trigger work on SPs for not too much money.

·
Registered
295 Posts
EddieF: Sir; yes there is some-one who can assist your Trigger.

I hate to drop his name; he visit this site from time to time.

Follow his advice and you'll smile at the product.

On the off-hand you have some experience with working on guns;

A simple take apart; cleaning, and polishing moving part, will get the thing going in the right direction.
The SP101 is a fine unit; you have a GP; so you know quality.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am not comfortable at all working on it. I'm just now at the level of breaking my guns down to clean them well. I would pay someone to smooth it out for me, I just need to know the trigger can be made to feel nice before I spend the money on a gun. Sounds like you're saying the answer is yes.

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
I did my wife's SP-101, and she loves it... Showing it off to her son during his recent visit... It wasn't that hard... You just have to take it slow, and pay attention to what you are doing... Get hold of Iowegan's IBOK. It's for the GP-100, but the SP-101 is just a smaller version of the GP-100... I found his writings very helpful. After all, he has about 100 years worth of knowledge...:D

·
Registered
295 Posts
EddieF: Sir; take alook @ RNettles fine looker:[8D]
Imagine? small hands, light fingers, and enjoying her trigger.
I do not know Mrs. RNettles; she may be a finger weight lifter;
a milker on a farm or just a fine mother/grandmother with a normal grip.
RNettles' has cleaned up her SP and YES it can be done.

The Iowegan's "Book of Knowledge" is the finest info. [no bull] understandable piece of work you could own. Realistically; Gary should charge for his time.

Recently his 'good will' got bombed with spam and what-nots. Maybe someone can help with you a copy.

Look @ Rugers Site, find the picture/schematic; relax and just look at the pictures. Think it through several times; visualize the placements
of parts; TAKE TIME and it aint rocket space age stuff.

Iowegan's explaining; will reduce a GP100 to ONE [1] part and if you can put 'Toast into a Toaster'; no problems with IBOK

By the way; I've never met the "Iowegan" in person/phone; met his work and wordings on the internet. Does he have my vote of confidence?:)

Nuff said. Fixing the SP you can do it.:D

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Eddie, The SP is a fine gun. Many new ones I have picked up also have the grittyness you describe. Mine did a little. I cleaned it up, dry fired it a bunch, changed the spring, and did just a little of the recommendations by the IBOK and it is a different gun. It's not a S&W by any means, and Isn't quite a good as my Security Six, but a world of difference than when I first got it. They are quite easy to take apart, and just about as easy to put back together as long as you don't lose any parts. And if you go to gun shows, find a good used example and try the trigger on it. The more they are used, the better they get. Wish you could try out mine, or some of the other members that have had them for awhile to see what they are like. And I doubt you could hurt anything on it that couldn't be fixed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts