Ruger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow Ruger enthusiasts! Just bought an LCR 38/357...what a great little wheel gun! Now I am looking to purchase a SP101 bobbed hammer 38/357. I checked some retailers in the Nashville area. One shop had a new one and the trigger had sharp edges. It appeared to have been machined out of stainless steel flat stock. Two other retailers had new ones...the triggers on these were much smother, had a small channel in the back and appeared to have been cast. It had a duller gray color compared to the one with the "Machined" trigger. I thought this might be an older version because in some of the reviews of this handgun the trigger was reported as having sharp edges. Any info on this is greatly appreciated. Happy holidays!
Tim C.

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
1) If you're a troll looking to stir up yet another MIM vs. Machined debate, then may a pox befall your house.

2) If you're legitimately new, the model with the sharp edged trigger would have been a new old stock model from a few years back, prior to a manufacturing change. Ruger now utilizes MIM - Metal Injection Molding - technology to produce many of their parts, as an industry and industrial (not just firearms industry) technology leader. The MIM parts leave the mold nearly perfect for installation, requiring less dressing prior to production, and yield an overall lower cost model to produce. This near-perfection for molded products is why you felt the difference in sharp edges vs. the feeling of a dressed part.

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
I have 2 Ruger SP101's not sure which one is the oldest but both the 3 inch variety one .38 special the other .327 FM. Well the .327 was made in 2008 this gun seems to have a nicer trigger pull then my .38 Special does in fact when I first got the .38 Special out came my dremmel with the polishing attachment and I had to hit the sharp edges of the hammer very sharp and the trigger as well as the trigger guard!!! Like I stated I just polished off the very outer rough edges and now all is fine. So not sure what to tell you but thats what I have. My .327 was NIB unfired and out of the box a nicer trigger pull vs my other SP101. But that gun is smoothing out nicely plus is very accurate!!! If you are looking for a lighter trigger pull the SP101 is going to be heavier typically vs a S&W J frame!!

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I've had both, and still have the old machined hammer model. The new one was stiff with a heavy trigger pull!! The grip on the hammer was terrible especially when your hand got sweaty. I don't know how many times my thumb slipped of the new MIM hammer model. That one went down the road as fast as it came.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A troll???? Nothing like being new to a forum and feel'n the love!!! That's what I'm talk'n about. Thanks to everyone for the prompt and detailed feedback.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Just got a new SP101 last month.
I didn't know there were different manufactured parts. New info for me.
Out of the box the action felt gritty.
Several hundred rounds and lots of dry firing showed the contact points.
Those points have been smoothed and replaced a few springs.
Muuuuch nicer now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts