Ruger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an opportunity to acquire an SP101 in .38 Special. It is SS, original factory grips, I'm told it is from the first year of issue 1989. It's hard to tell but it looks to be a 2.5 or 3 inch bbl. The owner states he bought it new and it has maybe 60 rounds through it. It has the appearance of a very well taken care of pistol.

Asking price is $425. Thoughts? I've attached pix. I've fancied a DA .38SP for several years and wonder if this is my chance? Thx.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
22,137 Posts
If the Bore is clean and shiny then I'm offer him $375. If he squawks then say he's it's a 38 Spl only.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Its a 2.25" ~ $425 is a fair price, not a steal by any means, and certainly not a rip off. There is nothing special about a first year issue .38, so there is no collector value. Terry says $375, that's on the low end. I have never seen a SP101 go for less that $400. Good luck

·
Registered
258 Posts
Its a 2.25" ~ $425 is a fair price, not a steal by any means, and certainly not a rip off. There is nothing special about a first year issue .38, so there is no collector value. Terry says $375, that's on the low end. I have never seen a SP101 go for less that $400. Good luck
I purchased a SP101 357 2 weeks ago for $350. There are better deals out there but you have to be patient and vigilant to find them.

Your 38 Spl sells for around $500 new plus tax so at $439 you are saving about $100, do you think it's a good deal? That's all that matters.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
I bought my brand new 2.25" SP101 in 38 Special last year for $399 on sale. Not that $26 really makes a hill of beans - that's one box of range ammo. But I guess I'm inclined to agree it's not a bad deal and it's not a smokin' hot too good to pass up deal either. Market tends to favor a premium on the 357 Magnum version so you may be able to use that to your advantage. First year doesn't really add value - it's used, been shot so has no real collector interest. I like the newer SP101s with the warning under the barrel. That big "bill board" on the side is not real attractive. I would have to be at $350 but that's just me.

·
Banned
650 Posts
Really if I wanted a 38 I would get a S&W J frame. My gunsmith can work wonders with a J frame. But it aint my gun and you are not me. Buy the gun that makes you happy. You can find a new J frame for around $335 and about $120 for the gunsmith.

·
Registered
995 Posts
If it were me, I would pass on it. You can find a .357 for the same price, or even a bit less, and not be limited to shooting .38 only.

·
Registered
48 Posts
If it were me, I would pass on it. You can find a .357 for the same price, or even a bit less, and not be limited to shooting .38 only.
I agree, I got my 357 for a steal at $300 and for me, when I'm at the range, I really love the feel and the sound of the .357! Practice with 38's for awhile then finish up with some 357's. :cool:

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Weren't the frame windows smaller on the original SP101s? If you want one in 38, that seems more interesting. But I wouldn't pay that much for one.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts