Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After years of pestering by my son I sold him my SW 36 3" last week. Now I want to get a new CC wheel gun.I am unimpressed with the Taurus 85 and Charter Arms, and almost fell over when pricing a new chiefs 36....almost 650.00 almost 4 times what i paid new in 1972. the ruger sp101 i see in the books lately looks like it may be a reliable canidate. Being none of the shops locally have one I need to ask, is it much larger than my smith was? The specs shoew it only 4-5 oz heavier than my 3" 36 was. Does it carry as well IWB which is how I carry.I think I will opt for a 38 not the new 327 due to the fact I have stockpiles of 38 ammo and dont need a new caliber. Any input pro or con would be appreciated.
Bob

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Bob

When I purchased my little S&W 637 Airweight, I was thinking like you in brand names you sugested. Because of weight I wanted light, and in a wheel gun that is important, and well as the way it felt in my hand. I was more than pleased with the range results shooting from a self defence distance. I have no regrets choosing the S&W 637 which I can even carry in all applications.

Remember if what you carry feels heavy, chances are you won't carry it all the time simply because of the weight, and this even though is only a 38 Spl, I have no doubt about shot placement if it is called into dispatching something that intends on doing me or a love one harm.

·
Registered
236 Posts
CC

Just bought a new SP101, 2" .357. I love it. Fired .38's, .38+P's and full load .357's yesterday. This gun is a bit heavier than it's counterpart, the S&W M60, but it's pretty easy to carry (IMO) and has plenty of beef behind it. Very nice to shoot. (Fairly accurate too - see my post in here earlier.) I paired it with a Thunderwear concealment holster and this combo seems to work fine for me.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
If you plan on shooting it a lot, with a variety of loads, I'd go with the Ruger. If you plan on shooting it just enough to stay proficient with it, go with the S&W if you like it better. I think either would be good for CCW, but the Ruger will hold up better over time.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bountyhunter are you the same guy from the hd forum? by the way thanks for the reply on the sp101, I think all that is left is to see and handle one. I know i will mis my SW36 but the replacement cost rules it out.
Mrsnipy....Bob

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
+1 on the comments. The ruger is better if you are going to put in a lot of range time.

Never been much of a fan of the mdl 36 or 60. But the smith bodyguard series in steel or air-weight will carry better imho.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have the 3-1/16" barrel SP101 in 357 & really like how it handles/shoots. A bit large/heavy to carry for my taste. Not bad in winter garb, but come warm weather & forget it for me. Picked mine up sa a sometimes carry, woods/trail/fun-to-shoot gun. Great gun that I'll never part with willingly.

·
Registered
68 Posts
After years of pestering by my son I sold him my SW 36 3" last week. ...almost fell over when pricing a new chiefs 36....almost 650.00 almost 4 times what i paid new in 1972.
Bob, everything is 4 times what it cost in 1972. Well, gasoline is about 10X.. ;)

Does it carry as well IWB which is how I carry.
I'm sure it will, but you will have to spend more $$$ on a new hoster, since I don't think it will fit a j-frame holster. :(

I think I will opt for a 38 not the new 327 due to the fact I have stockpiles of 38 ammo and don't need a new caliber.
.38 will do what you want it to.

Either gun will also do what you want it to.

Coke, or Pepsi??? :D

·
Banned
108 Posts
I prefer the Ruger SP101 . I have them in .38+P and .357 magnum both 2.25" and 3.16" barrels and they are a joy to shoot with about any factory load I've subjected them to. Plus the forcing cones are beefy with no signs of erosion whatsoever.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have a 3" SP101 and really like it. I don't think it is to heavy for carry and it is much nicer to fire magnums out of than the S&W.

·
Banned
723 Posts
If the choice was a new S&W and a new or used Ruger, I'd take the Ruger every time. :)

The new S&W's come with a "hole" on the side of them that is prone to inducing failures of the weapon to discharge when wanted. I've got four S&W's with the "hole". I've only had a problem with one of them, but that's one too many in my book.

I will admit that S&W was very prompt in repairing said bullet launching device, but I always have that nagging doubt in my mind about that gun and any gun with the "Hillary Hole".

Biker

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
I will admit that S&W was very prompt in repairing said bullet launching device, but I always have that nagging doubt in my mind about that gun and any gun with the "Hillary Hole".
hillary hole------i like that term.........

what model/caliber smith gave problems????

·
Registered
444 Posts
mrsnipy,

I have owned a 2 1/4" SP101 for years.

As think yer major question is concealable?.....
IMHO,

Mine can wear on side, even with the un-expensive Uncle Mike holster....

Fits close to body so does not show, and 5 minutes after strapping it on, don't notice yer wearing it!

·
Registered
128 Posts
After being a SW man for over 40 yrs and just getting SP101 bobber 357.. I'm carrying
it on my farm with 1st two shots are snake loads for when I go around my pond and
on my bush hog and it will get it dirty. The SP can be stripped down totally in 5 mins
and cleaned easyer and faster then a SW.. I feel the SP won't shoot it self loose with a two
or three thosand rds of 357 I will shoot thew it in the next 5 years.. Now we get to where
the SW shines , the trigger in the SP after putting a Wilson comp spring kit still don't come up
to a SW stock trigger but on the farm I don't need a super trigger

·
Registered
36 Posts
mrsnipy,

I have shot both an original (Prelock) S&W 36 W/ 1-7/8" Barrel, and the 2.25" SP101.

My experience is that the S&W 36 W/ the thin factory grips was a bit brutal to shoot with +P Loads. Much more comfortable with the thicker aftermarket rubber grips. It is a good overall size, and with the aftermarket grips, fun to shoot.

The SP101 is a tiny bit larger overall in size, the wt difference between the two is noticeable to me. I do not have a problem with the little bit of extra wt though.

My SP101 with factory grips is far more comfortable to shoot hot 357 Mag loads than the S&W 36 with factory grips and 38spl +p's.

Both conceal easily IWB, and you will not notice the difference in gun wts or size when they are being carried that way.

I, like others have concerns about the Internal Locking device in the new S&W's. If I were you I would look for a prelock S&W, like the S&W 36, or S&W64, or I would get a Ruger SP101. No way I will get near a pistol with an Internal Locking Device for Self Defense.

Charlie

·
Registered
2 Posts
I always have that nagging doubt in my mind about that gun and any gun with the "Hillary Hole".
Biker
+1 on that sentiment. If you want a new S&W, you can get one without the lock by buying one of the new Classic Model 40 Centennials. Because of the "lemon squeezer" grip safety, S&W didn't install the lock. It's all steel, handles 38+P, & weighs 21 oz. vs. the SP's 25 oz.

·
Registered
235 Posts
i have a smith 442 airweight and in all honesty it is very hard on the web of my hand when shooting +p ammo i have literally had it make me bleed and bruise my hand after 50 rounds i couldnt imagine shooting one of their light .357s. I have a sp101 2 1/4 on layaway that i hope will rectify this situation

·
Registered
536 Posts
I have a 3 inch SP101 that disappears on my belt 5 minutes after I put it on. I prefer OWB, but it works well concealed around my house and yard with just a covering t-shirt. 3" are harder to find a holster for nowadays, unless you go custom-ish. I got a Ross, not real pleased with it because it doesn't fit my main gun belt. I believe you will be finely served by a 101 for your needs, provided you aren't trying to pocket-carry it.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts