Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine was telling me I should have gone with SW66 rather than the 101 I purchased several months ago.
Being an old (literally) Ruger fan,
I quickly pointed out the cost difference as well as the quality is not much different any longer.
He showed me his 66 and it felt bigger and not as well balanced.
What else is a different?

·
Registered
330 Posts
Without picking out differences, your ruger is a great gun. It all boils down to a matter of preference. I've owned plenty of Smiths and plenty of rugers. Smith makes a great gun. But my nod goes to ruger.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Well, they are two different kind of revolvers. The model 66 is a 6 shot while the sp101 is a 5 shot. The sp101 is more compact for carry, while the model 66 has more weight and stability for a range gun. Just basically two different animals, just depends on your preference. For carry I would pick the sp101. For looks, heft, and comfort, I would take the model 66. I really do like the 2.5 inch bbl model 66.:)

·
Registered
591 Posts
I have had both at one time or another. I prefer the Smith 66, It has a better trigger and just feels better in my hand.

Reactions: RWT1405

·
Registered
260 Posts
The 66 matches up better with the GP-100. THe SP-101 is more of a heavy duty compact model.

Reactions: RWT1405

·
Cat Herder
1,644 Posts
The correct comparison for an SP101 would be an S&W model 60. The 60 will be a little lighter, maybe a little smoother out of the box, the SP101 feels heavier and more durable, able to handle more 357 rounds than your hand can.

·
Grand Inquisitor
1,783 Posts
Tough to say, as nothing quite resembles the 101. I picked a Kimber K6S for pocket carry, because of the light, smooth trigger, and a GP 100 for home defense/woods carry on my hip. I mostly shoot .38 +p from each. Depends on your intention, really. For personal protection, price is not my driving concern.

I ranked new Smith J frames as having the worst triggers, in my 2018 tests that led to the Kimber. The LCR .357 was 2nd to the K6S, the 101 better than the Smiths.

A vintage J may be another matter, but I do not buy new guns, generally. My 1980s K frame has a superb trigger, as did my GP 100 after several hundred rounds.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm not a big revolver guy, but figured I needed at least one, and my search for the best all-around 357 eventually brought me to the SP101. It is compact enough to carry but beefy enough to tame the Magnum. I find the Pachmayr Diamond Pro grip to be just about perfect on this gun. I think the SP101 hits a sweet spot between the Smith J- and K-frames.

·
Super Moderator
21,346 Posts
The SP is built like a small tank and the 66 is but a shadow of it's former self. Not nearly the quality of older models and does his have the Hillary hole in it? Tell him you're good as the SP can handle a steady diet of full house .357 loads.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Which do you like better, the apple or the orange. I own both and each shines in its own way, although the quality of the new 66 is not what it used to be. When I got my SP101, the trigger was awful. Diligent smoothing and new springs made it a lot better, but no where as good as my 66’s or 19’s. The choice is yours.

·
Registered
308 Posts
The correct comparison for an SP101 would be an S&W model 60. The 60 will be a little lighter, maybe a little smoother out of the box, the SP101 feels heavier and more durable, able to handle more 357 rounds than your hand can.
The differences are minor...A 2 3/4" barrel for the 66, 3" for the 60, adjustable sights...they were Skeeter Skelton's recommendation back in the Stone Ages, and I have never found a reason to buy otherwise. A bit heavier weight for the 66, iirc, Both guns are well made, and it is definitely a personal preference. The Model 60, with a change of grips to fit my larger paws, and a spring kit to replace the lawyer proof, heavy, HEAVY trigger pull, and you're good to go. Same for the Ruger. I had no trouble carrying my 4" 586, which was a quarter pound heavier than my Match Champion, but for smaller people, that might present a problem. 🙂

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Apples and oranges from a 5 shot and 6 shot revolvers of different sizes.

Don't get me wrong, I love Rugers and the majority of my collection are Rugers. But if it is K frame size or up I prefer an S&W over the Ruger options. SP101 triggers kinda suck. GP100s are built like tanks but lack the fantastic triggers of vintage K frames. So unless it is an LCR or single action I'll opt for the S&W options.

·
Righteous Dude
21,661 Posts
Enjoy your SP. Friends have opinions and so does this board. Frankly, people don't seem to understand comparisons. I have SPs, GPs, Js, Ks, Ls, and Ns... They all have their merits and negatives. The SP is fine and so are the 66s... Whether the 66 is the first revision or the 8th (and frankly, the 8th revision is beefier).

Shoot your SP with confidence and enjoy... And then buy your next one! 😊

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Not apples to apples. S&W doesn't make anything quite like an SP101. I would choose the 66 or a 19 over the 101. The S&W fits me better and has a much better trigger pull in both S/A and D/A. In fact, the D/A pull on all the 101s I've ever tried felt like at least 19#. I've never tried a 101 that's had a trigger job, also tried the trigger on a 22 LR GP100, bought the 617......
Is one better than the other, NOT as far as shooting straight and mechanics. Shoot it if you like it.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Ruger is the Rodney Dangerfield of firearms.

Rugers are strength over beauty. That said, the SAA's and No.1 are beautifully done.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
...gee, which one is better, a colt detective or a ruger redhawk?

..you see, they "ain't" the same animals, so what's your real question?
My real question was just that. I’m so sorry I’m not up to your speed on the similarities. I thought they were close. Others have answered in a more logical manner. But thanks anyway.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Not apples to apples. S&W doesn't make anything quite like an SP101. I would choose the 66 or a 19 over the 101. The S&W fits me better and has a much better trigger pull in both S/A and D/A. In fact, the D/A pull on all the 101s I've ever tried felt like at least 19#. I've never tried a 101 that's had a trigger job, also tried the trigger on a 22 LR GP100, bought the 617......
Is one better than the other, NOT as far as shooting straight and mechanics. Shoot it if you like it.
Thanks

1 - 20 of 22 Posts