Ruger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a new Wiley Clapp SP101 and took it to the range yesterday. I kept shooting left (which is odd for me) so I looked at the rear site and it appears to be offset just a bit to the left. I loosened the set screw on top and gave it a couple of taps from the end of a screw driver I had handy, but I couldn't get it to move. Just wondering how much force is required to move the Novak site? I don't want to damage it. Has anyone had to adjust their rear sites...if so how did you do it?

I have a GP100 Wiley Clap and I shoot POA with it and the rear site appears to be exactly in the middle so I haven't had to adjust it.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I've never adjusted a Wiley Clapp model, but most Novak style sites will need need to be tapped to move them. Forget the screwdriver and get a brass punch. Rest the gun on sandbags or another firm but padded surface. Put the punch at the base of the sight and give it a tap with a hammer. It shouldn't take a ton of force to move the sight. If the sight doesn't move, increase the force of the blow slightly till it does. Any brass marks on your sight will wipe off with Hoppes or other solvent.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Also a non WC Californian owner (would be in any other state by the way, great gun I think), A number of Novak sights I've seen have had a threaded set screw to lock it into position once adjusted for windage. You may take a close look around to see if the WC has such a set screw? Not sure if they do or don't, but if they do and you go banging on it, sight, gun, patience, will all be in danger. Smithy.

·
Registered
80 Posts
You may take a close look around to see if the WC has such a set screw? Not sure if they do or don't, but if they do and you go banging on it, sight, gun, patience, will all be in danger.
I know you just overlooked it, but he mentioned that he'd loosened the set screw. I tend to skim over posts and miss those things as well :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. I will try using a hammer and a brass punch and tap on the sight to see if I can get it to move. I wasn't sure how much force it was going to take to move it....don't want to damage the gun or the sight.

Do you recommend using some blue loctite on the set screw to keep it secure? I noticed it was loose after about 40 rounds of firing 357 loads.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Sorry, My Bad (to steal a quote from the kids). I must have read that post three or four times as well and look at me. The cost of getting old and senile I guess? Thanks for the update and to reassure my sort of memory (in that I remembered that the Novak sights do have a "set screw"). Smithy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts