Ruger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Viceroy 馃煩馃煩馃煩
Discussion Starter #1
Got the new SP101 Wiley Clapp to the range today. Shot offhand, and also seated/rested, at 10, 15 and 20 yards.

I usually like my handgun's point of impact to be "sitting" right on top of the front sight, but for all loads it was high. The 125gr +P 38s were about 1" high at 10 yards. The 158gr .357 magnums were 1.5" to 2" high.

I wouldn't mind replacing that front sight with a nice fiber optic one. Does anyone know what my options are for that particular dovetail?

I know there are several SP101 Wiley Clapp owners here, so I wondered if any had gone down this path already.

Thanks!

Registered
I just got A Wiley Clapp SP yesterday and this is all I have found for replacements so far. I would like a fiber optic option. I have the Wiley Clapp GP and love the sights.

Sight Option

I have an email into Novak to see if they have anything else to offer

Registered
I'll pass along anything I find

Registered
I'm going out on a limb here in hopes I don't offend in saying, maybe you ought just leave well enough alone.
The gold bead Novak is IMHO a darn nice sight for what it is. Keep in mind this is a snub nose revolver. A fiber optic would not only be unnecessary, but would be a bit silly on such a short barrel.
When I first got my SP101 WC, I was having trouble with it shooting high. Once I got enough range time I found my WC was indeed shooting to point of aim all along. It was myself that needed to learn the nuances of shooting a snub accurately. There is very little forgiveness or margin for error in trigger control and sight alignment deviations with such a short sight radius.
Take some time to familiarize yourself with your new friend. If after a few range trips you see no improvement in POI and still wish to make a change, then at least you know you're making a necessary impovement and not simply a cosmetic change.

Viceroy 馃煩馃煩馃煩
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I hear what you're saying and will take another range trip or two, but felt like I was shooting really well today. And I'm a pretty good shot if I do say so. I was getting quarter-size groups with the full power American Eagle 158gr JSP loads. They were just 2" high.

I think the SP is considerably more substantial than the 642 J frame I once owned, and that thing was right on target.

Registered
I hear what you're saying and will take another range trip or two, but felt like I was shooting really well today. And I'm a pretty good shot if I do say so. I was getting quarter-size groups with the full power American Eagle 158gr JSP loads. They were just 2" high.

I think the SP is considerably more substantial than the 642 J frame I once owned, and that thing was right on target.
Can't argue with quarter sized groups. That's really good. Heck, I'm happy to get those with a rifle. Not sure I could manage such a feat with a snub from a distance greater than 2 feet. Good shootin'

Registered
I need to get mine out again. I think it may have an issue as it sporadically was locking up during DA during the last outings. First time I broke it down and oiled it. Second time I'm thinking a pattern. Third time and Ruger will hear about it.

Viceroy 馃煩馃煩馃煩
Discussion Starter #9
Can't argue with quarter sized groups. That's really good. Heck, I'm happy to get those with a rifle. Not sure I could manage such a feat with a snub from a distance greater than 2 feet. Good shootin'
Well, that was only at 10 yards, and slow fire. And I've always found those Federal / American Eagle 158 grain JSP .357s to be really accurate in any gun I've owned.

When I'm going for accuracy with a .357 magnum I just really focus on relaxing and pretend like I'm dry firing at home. I don't squeeze the gun to the point where I'm shaking. If I forget that it's a five-shooter (like I did a couple times yesterday:)) and let the hammer fall a sixth time on a fired cartridge, there's no flinch because I've taken a second to really relax and focus on the slightest incremental increase of pressure on the trigger when the sights are where I want them, then slowing down when the move off for a moment.

But... not squeezing the gun in a death grip causes it to ride up a bit more with recoil, which probably explains my hunt for a taller front sight.

Registered
Well, that was only at 10 yards, and slow fire. And I've always found those Federal / American Eagle 158 grain JSP .357s to be really accurate in any gun I've owned.

When I'm going for accuracy with a .357 magnum I just really focus on relaxing and pretend like I'm dry firing at home. I don't squeeze the gun to the point where I'm shaking. If I forget that it's a five-shooter (like I did a couple times yesterday:)) and let the hammer fall a sixth time on a fired cartridge, there's no flinch because I've taken a second to really relax and focus on the slightest incremental increase of pressure on the trigger when the sights are where I want them, then slowing down when the move off for a moment.

But... not squeezing the gun in a death grip causes it to ride up a bit more with recoil, which probably explains my hunt for a taller front sight.

I haven't measured the front sight, but that link I posted earlier had a .180" and a .200" sight listed. Might want to see what is on the gun

Viceroy 馃煩馃煩馃煩
Discussion Starter #11
I haven't measured the front sight, but that link I posted earlier had a .180" and a .200" sight listed. Might want to see what is on the gun
Edster,

Mine would appear to be .200" from the factory. I'll contact Novak and see what they have to offer that's taller.

FKC

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts