Ruger Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a couple of hasty photos of my pair of SP101s in .357. After I finished the 3" I found a good buy on an 18 year old 2.25" and then put it through the same mods - trigger, Wolff Spring Pak, XS small dot and Badger grips. The 2.25" is wearing the Boot Grip. (Sorry for the poor picture quality - I need a better camera and lighting...)

·
Ausmerican.
42,713 Posts
Great looking pair of revolvers.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Nice, Waveform...
Based on an earlier photo of your 3" I ordered a set of black fullsize Badger grips the same day that I ordered my 3" .327 last week. The gun made it to my ffl today and the grips came to me in today's mail. Very quick service from Badger grips. The gun and grips should get together tomorrow.

·
Banned
4,774 Posts
Nice, Waveform...
Based on an earlier photo of your 3" I ordered a set of black fullsize Badger grips the same day that I ordered my 3" .327 last week. The gun made it to my ffl today and the grips came to me in today's mail. Very quick service from Badger grips. The gun and grips should get together tomorrow.
"Snap" on the .327 SP thing mate ....let me know what you think of the .327 ;)

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
Waveform...a very nice brace of revolvers! I, too, prefer the Badger grips...while a little more 'aggressive' in their angle, they help transfer recoil back up through the entire arm rather than just through the wrist! I get less muzzle-flip and faster second shot acquisition when using them! BTW...your 2.25" is set up identical to mine...right down to the Rosewood 'Boot' Grip! That set-up makes for a great 'coat-pocket' gun in the winter or for ankle carry!

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Very nice. How do you like the full size grip? I have been thinking about getting one. the stock grips feel to small.
Rivers2k, I love the way the full size Badger on the 3" feels. Of the two it's probably my favorite and the length seems to balance between the grip size and the barrel from a design point of view. It fills my hand nicely and is great to shoot.

Real nice waveform ...there exactly the grips i want for my 3" .327....what wood are they i might have to try to import some.
Kiwi - here's the link:

Custom Wood Pistol Grips & Handgun Grips, including Smith & Wesson, Colt and Ruger Pistol Grips from Badger Custom Grips

Jim Badger makes these in Greenville, SC. The ones pictured are called Rosewood Laminate. They're laminate wood but I like the way the layers mill out - look like fancy figured grain sorta. His machining is perfect - when the two halves join together the seam disappears. He does nice work and ships out quickly.

I really like the way those wood grips look on them how do they handle with those grips
1billy43, They handle great! I think the story on Jim Badger is that he started out making custom grips for competition shooters. At any rate I love the way they handle. And they look great too.

Nice, Waveform...
flc, That's great! Post a photo please! I would like to see them in black.

Waveform...a very nice brace of revolvers! I, too, prefer the Badger grips...while a little more 'aggressive' in their angle, they help transfer recoil back up through the entire arm rather than just through the wrist! I get less muzzle-flip and faster second shot acquisition when using them! BTW...your 2.25" is set up identical to mine...right down to the Rosewood 'Boot' Grip! That set-up makes for a great 'coat-pocket' gun in the winter or for ankle carry!
Amishman44 - This is all your fault! You shared a picture of the your front sights when I was looking at sights and I think I saw your Badger grips or you mentioned them somewhere too. I'm just a copycat! I thought the Boot Grip made more sense on the 2.25" SP - balances the design and keeps the package small.

Thanks for the comments all.

Wave

·
Registered
101 Posts
Wave
The .327 sight is adjustable for windage only. I can't wait to get it to the range. I've got a turkey breast smoking today so I've gotta watch it and tomorrow morning I'm getting a new garage door installed. Maybe tomorrow afternoon.

It's a May 2012 gun. All the ones I had seen before had the warning on the side. This one is clean with the warning underneath. Trigger actually feels pretty good. My birdshead trigger was good also.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wave
The .327 sight is adjustable for windage only. I can't wait to get it to the range. I've got a turkey breast smoking today so I've gotta watch it and tomorrow morning I'm getting a new garage door installed. Maybe tomorrow afternoon.

It's a May 2012 gun. All the ones I had seen before had the warning on the side. This one is clean with the warning underneath. Trigger actually feels pretty good. My birdshead trigger was good also.
Floyd, I thought perhaps it was only windage from the little black dot (screw) on one side. My 3" was used when I found it but it was a 2012 serial number and the warning is on the bottom like yours. I like that.

Glad your trigger is good out of the box. I'm happy with my birdshead trigger too. The 18 year old 2.25" SP was pretty raspy and when I dropped the trigger group out there were still some metal shavings from (I assume) the factory. When I removed the trigger return spring there was a little chunk of metal in with the spring! So it benefitted from a little housekeeping in the trigger group. But otherwise I did very little polishing and smoothing. I had another Wolff spring pak on hand so I put it back together with lighter springs.

The black Badger really looks good in your photos. The weathered wood and the way the light is muted on the SS gives the SS an almost frosted look which goes great with the black grip. Sweeeeet!

Have fun on the range!

Wave

·
Wandering Sandlapper
3,281 Posts
Beautiful! Love the Badger grips. Black look great, but I really like the Rosewood.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.